GED proram in the DR?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
In the US, if someone drops out of High School, they have a chance to get an equivalency degree by obtaining a GED (General Educational Development certificate). There are are courses offered to prepare for the exam. Once someone has their GED, they are able to apply to a college or university.

Does anything similar exist in the DR, or does a person that dropped out of school have to complete their coursework?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
In the DR, public schools have 3 shifts - school in the morning, school in the afternoon, and night school. Most kids go to class in the morning from 7 or 7:30 to noon or so. The kids who work, or have other things to do, may go in the pm. The problem kids, or the "GEDers" or adults, go to school at night.

There may be 30yr old "4th graders" . That is the local solution which I have observed. I have had 2 sister-in-laws working on finshing school in this way, even if they are in their 30's. They quit to go out and make money for the family, but are now finishing.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
In the DR, public schools have 3 shifts - school in the morning, school in the afternoon, and night school. Most kids go to class in the morning from 7 or 7:30 to noon or so. The kids who work, or have other things to do, may go in the pm. The problem kids, or the "GEDers" or adults, go to school at night.

There may be 30yr old "4th graders" . That is the local solution which I have observed. I have had 2 sister-in-laws working on finshing school in this way, even if they are in their 30's. They quit to go out and make money for the family, but are now finishing.
Thanks for the info.

Since night school is part of the public school system, does that mean it's free?

Do you know if there any private "fast track" schools?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will check on that, too.

Might be an interesting thing to look into...a "fast Track school" for adults....

HB

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Hmmm, is it me , or am I just confused? You are asking if there is a "Fast Track" GED program for adult dominicans who quit/left school early and now want to resume their education????? Most folks in this situation in the DR whom I have met only catch a "Fast Track" if someone comes up with a new scam of some type!

Universities in the DR make regular high school graduates jump through hoops just to prove they are qualified to enter university (even the UASD). They have to go back to their school and get a copy of their grades. They have to trot off to yet another huacal to get a certificate stating that yes, they DID graduate from high school. They may also have to go to Santo Domingo to the Education headquarters to get the documents stamped also.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hmmm, is it me , or am I just confused? You are asking if there is a "Fast Track" GED program for adult dominicans who quit/left school early and now want to resume their education?????
That's exactly what I'm asking.

In the US, there are many ways aid adults that want to go to college but didn't complete high school. You can even take on-line courses to prepare for the GED. Some colleges even offer programs where you can get college credit while preparing to take the GED.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is night school and weekend school for those adults trying to get their high school but I don't believe there is any "fast track" You have to start where you left off and continue until you get the courses required under the curriculum. Yris taught adult education at night in Jarabacoa, but that was in 1997, and rules may have changed.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well, if you're in high school (regular high school) you can finish the last two years in one (third and fourth). I know this because by half brother is doing it this year. I'm not sure if this is offered by all high schools, but at least the one he's attending (public btw) does offer it to students who are a bit older than they should be for their grades and who also have good grades. They have to attend school Monday thru Saturday.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Yes, my "wife" is completing her last 2 years in 1 year. She goes 3 nights a week from 6 to 10 in Puerto Plata. It's a public school, but there are some costs involved.- D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I get concerned when I hear about these "fast track" courses.
We already have high school graduates who can barely read & write, imagine what happens when they are put on the fast track.
This is how I perceive it.
Hi,
My name is Maria and I would like to get myself a high school diploma, without doing all the work everybody else had to, and without having the knowledge or capabilities they have, because, I'm special"
Add in a few spelling and grammar mistakes, and there you have it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree with you Rocky, god, I thought that would never happen. My wife has a few of those teachers with teaching degrees(two years, part time at a local university/college) They can't produce a document with proper grammar and spelling...etc. But I think that a hard working intelligent person can do two years of high school in one. My son did it here in Canada attending night school and working full time. Motivated people can accomplish a lot.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
But I think that a hard working intelligent person can do two years of high school in one. My son did it here in Canada attending night school and working full time. Motivated people can accomplish a lot.
Agreed.
But they would have to prove some proficiency first, I would think, before being allowed to take the next step.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Yes, my "wife" is completing her last 2 years in 1 year. She goes 3 nights a week from 6 to 10 in Puerto Plata. It's a public school, but there are some costs involved.- D
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if similar programs are offered in other areas of the country?