Single Guy Arriving Wed any Tips ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_mac

Oct 4, 2007
Arriving from the UK on Wed staying on Playa Dorada any tips for Bars, Clubs meeting people ? Any advice much appreciated.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Arriving from the UK on Wed staying on Playa Dorada any tips for Bars, Clubs meeting people ? Any advice much appreciated.
Best thing you could do is get out of the complex and go to Sosua or Cabarete, unless you were planning on socializing with tourists.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
USE PROTECTION!!!!...lol

Staying at the clubs within Playa Dorada is going to be a lot more expensive.
Mangu is the *main* club in Playa Dorada.

I would also say your gonna have the best DR Experience if you leave the complex, and go for a night out around down.

And at the moment the names of good Discos in town are escaping me...hey it's Sunday morning..I'll get back to you after my morning coffee...

Last edited:

john_mac

Oct 4, 2007
Yes I heard about Mangu, I want to get off the complex now & again but didn't want to go too far as I'll have to shell out for cabs myself.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
advise...take your time!!! Dont go wild on your first few days. Over time you will sorta catch on to the game and decide what you want to do. and yes..if you are going to dabble....please use protection!

and btw...if you have been before and have met friends...getting far away from the complex is recommended...as long as you have someone to watch out for you.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes I heard about Mangu, I want to get off the complex now & again but didn't want to go too far as I'll have to shell out for cabs myself.
You can take public transport to Sosua for approx. $1 US, then grab a cab on the way home, when you're sufficiently drunk and all danced out, for approx. $30 US.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
La Barrica is sooooo dark inside, and too air conditioned..but other than that, not too bad. It can get super over crowded too...but that's to be expected...
It's driving me nuts that I still can't remember the name of one of my fav discos there :( lol

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
There is a place upstairs in the Plaza area of the Playa Dorada complex that usually plays rugby I believe..other then that..I hope some more DR1 members might have information for you...

I finally remembered the name of the disco I used to love...La Canita!!!!!!!!!! Is it still around??? Anyone in POP know?

As far as bars and clubs that your asking for...what type of music do you like? If you are fine with merengue, salsa, bachata and reggaton, there are quite a few places you can go off the resort that you will enjoy....Just watch for the random Dominican girls that just come and sit at your table and expect you to pay for everything ;)

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
I recommend going to Sosua also. I was taking the public (shared) taxis everyday. They run constantly, and yes, the price was 30 pesos if I recall. Coming back to Playa Dorada, you can catch one of these cars on the main road at the intersection of Pedro Clisante. If you happen to meet someone, you might as well head back to Puerto Plata and find a cabana, before heading back to your hotel. I don't think there are cabana options in Sosua. The cabana is for rest of course, or to talk privately.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I recommend going to Sosua also. I was taking the public (shared) taxis everyday. They run constantly, and yes, the price was 30 pesos if I recall.

I don't know exact prices, but I can say for sure a Taxi from Playa Dorada to Sosua will be more than 30 pesos. 30 Pesos is how much it costs from Puerto Plata to Playa Dorada on Motoconcho....There is no way a Taxi to Sosua would be that price.

Maybe $30 USD though...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't know exact prices, but I can say for sure a Taxi from Playa Dorada to Sosua will be more than 30 pesos. 30 Pesos is how much it costs from Puerto Plata to Playa Dorada on Motoconcho....There is no way a Taxi to Sosua would be that price.

Maybe $30 USD though...
There's a confusion, because he mentioned taxis.
A taxi would cost $30 US.
A public car, aka carro publico, costs 30 pesos during the daytime and 35 at night.

john_mac

Oct 4, 2007
Is it safe to try for a publico late at night on my own after a few Presidente's (sp) ;)

Also are US coins ok or is it notes only ?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is it safe to try for a publico late at night on my own after a few Presidente's (sp) ;)

Also are US coins ok or is it notes only ?
Normally yes, but if you're blasted out of your mind, it may be better to have someone call you a taxi, pay the extra and stay out of trouble.

john_mac

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks for the advice, been to DR once before but with a large group & I was working - well looking around hotels & drinking lots, never got off the AI complexes except for a couple of organised trips during the day.

Have read a lot on here about blending in & not looking like a tourist - I have Irish roots so am pale as a sheet of pure white A4 with a shaved head so I should have no probs ;)

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
alicious,

La canita is still around. I was there in April. Keep in mind they and other local establishments close early for the curfew.

curlyq

Status
Not open for further replies.