2 Girls Going To Sd...any Hotel And Disco Suggestions??

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
now that we've figured out the bus route to SD from PC - thanks to drloca, apostropheman, fabekid, rubio_higuey and rocky :) my girlfriend and i are trying to figure out the best place to book a hotel. we want something safe and CLEAN. we're complete neat freaks so cleanliness is essential. we also want to be in the heart of the action. ive been reading some previous posts and im not sure if the colonial zone is the best area or if there is a better area for 2 gals travelling alone looking to have a good time.

we dont want to have to take long taxi rides everywhere and we're both into raggaeton, hip hop, pop etc...but we are open minded and would love try something new. we're looking for hot spots with a good mix of locals and tourists so if anyone can suggest some great clubs and a great hotel in SD we would appreciate it ;)

cheers, sascha

Last edited:

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I don't know if I read your comments to say that you're open to staying in the Colonial Zone or looking elsewhere, but my mom and I stayed at the Hotel Atarazana on the edge of the area. It was indeed clean and had very funky appointments and style. The breakfast was my mom's favourite part, and I really loved our hostess, Susanne. The price was good and we 2 "girls" felt safe there, even walking back to the hotel at night, spending the day walking around the Zone without concerns.

I have pictures of the hotel posted at http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2879110600064234328HkAwCr

I have no suggestions on nightlife, sorry!

Kaki

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks for your post Kaki and for the link to your photos. I have checked this hotel out online but was on the fence because their website is under construction but it does look clean and modern :) and if its in the heart of the city, it may be perfect for us. Do you remember what the room rate was per night?

We're 2 girls in our mid to late 20s so if anyone else can recommend a couple of great clubs and restaurants, that would be awesome!

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
I would suggest Hotel Mercure $44.00 if booked online in advance.

Located in the CZ right on "EL CONDE", close to all nite life.

Security and police , clean rooms & nice decor , taxis , free breakfast, multi lingual staff.

Ideal for 1st time visitors.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I concur...Hotel Mercure

$65 per night for TWO incuding taxes & breakfast (Book Online)

Excellent value, SUPERB STAFF, great location...CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN

Plenty of security, and the breakfast buffet is really good!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Oh yeah..CLUBS

..sorry, walk up Hostos (in front of Mercure) and you will find Club NoWhere.

The Hard Rock Cafe is east on Conde a short walk from Hotel Mercure and so is the first church in the New World if you're so inclined. (to repent for your actions ha ha)

Have fun!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Excellent suggestions...

Thanks for the tips :) The Hotel Mercure looks awesome. Im looking to spend no more than $80 US/night as long as we're in the heart of the city and are able to walk to some great restaurants and bars.

As for the clubs/discos, will the Hard Rock be full of tourists? We're looking for something with a more local vibe. Is the Mercure close to the Loft and Praia?

STUPID QUESTION: Is the Colonial Zone the same area as Ciudad Colonial?

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I don't remember exactly how much the Atarazana was, but I seem to recall $70. Less than $80 for sure, and a small discount was given for paying cash.

I tend to hear the Colonial Zone referred to as the Zona Colonial, but the "ciudad" Colonial makes sense too. I'll leave the confirmation on that to the pros.

The Mercure is more central, being on Conde, but I liked the fact that being where we were a few blocks away from that area meant that we became familiar with a larger circle of the Zona. Crossing in front of the Alcazar de Colon twice a day, seeing it in all lighting and moods was a highlight. I have a picture of the Mercure Hotel at http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2783938070064234328xmvHdv To look at the shots before and after, you can see where the hotel is situated.

Kaki

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
kaki...thanks for the photos. they give me some idea of the area which is exactly what we want to see :)

ive also been looking at the Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando in "Ciudad Colonial." its a bit more than we would like to spend but does anyone know if this hotel is as central as the atarazana or the mercure?

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
The Sofitel on Las Damas is more central than the Atarazana, and I prefer its location to that of the Mercure. That's personal though; the Mercure may suit others better.

It is a beautiful building with a good reputation, but many bad reviews...if that makes sense. Mostly service and "value" related. I have a picture of the Sofitel in my album too, but I won't bother with yet another link!

Kaki

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
5 minute walk between the three.

Anyone one of the lot would be a good choice no need rack your brain.

All are safe and clean. Though the mercure rooms are a tad bit smaller.

All have good AC as well, but don't use thier phones or take any thing out of the fridge very expensive!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
THere is also a new hotel "hotel Discovery" I checked it out in may. The rooms ARE small...but very nice and clean. It is located at the end of el conde right on the corner of Parque Indepencia (so you are close to the discotecas etc). No balconies..but they do have a nice roof deck with a tiny pool. (its more like an oversized jacuzzi....but it can be nice at night with while sipping a drink and catching some rays or enjoying the sunset).

THe only reason i didnt stay there was that I already had a reservation elsewhere. THe size of the room was small....and since i am a smoker I prefer a balcony and some fresh air. But i gotta say it was pretty nice for 46 bucks a night.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
As far as walking.....you're younger than me and I walk the entire ZC when I am there. I actually do a 5 mile walk every morning! No matter where you stay, you will pass the hotels discussed on your way to somewhere in the ZC.

Everytime I go to the Hard Rock, I find it full of Dominicans! There are tourists.... however, YOU ARE ONE TOO!

If you want real Dominican, book a room, ask around and you will find what you want....NoWhere seems to be as Dominican disco as you can get.....

It's not hard to find a party!

Have fun!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks everyone...

All good suggestions...As long as all of the hotels previously discussed are central itll probably come down to price in the end.

As for the Hard Rock...hehehe! You're completely right PYRATT! I am a tourist too...I guess Im just looking to stay away from some of the kinds of discos you find at the resorts in PC. We'll definitely check it out.

If any other suggestions come up, let me know! Cheers...:)

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
THere is also a new hotel "hotel Discovery" I checked it out in may. The rooms ARE small...but very nice and clean. It is located at the end of el conde right on the corner of Parque Indepencia (so you are close to the discotecas etc). No balconies..but they do have a nice roof deck with a tiny pool. (its more like an oversized jacuzzi....but it can be nice at night with while sipping a drink and catching some rays or enjoying the sunset).

THe only reason i didnt stay there was that I already had a reservation elsewhere. THe size of the room was small....and since i am a smoker I prefer a balcony and some fresh air. But i gotta say it was pretty nice for 46 bucks a night.

I stayed there and it was pretty good only because they had a rooftop pool area to hang out in.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
All good suggestions...As long as all of the hotels previously discussed are central itll probably come down to price in the end.

As for the Hard Rock...hehehe! You're completely right PYRATT! I am a tourist too...I guess Im just looking to stay away from some of the kinds of discos you find at the resorts in PC. We'll definitely check it out.

If any other suggestions come up, let me know! Cheers...:)

Santo Domingo Hotel

Ive just come back from SD and found a little gem of a hotel, right between the Presidential Palace and the Zona Colonial. Carey House Hotel, 809 688 4808 for 1300 pesos per night for 2 people. Spotlessly clean rooms, good bathroom, towels, soap, best bed Ive slept in in a hotel for a long time. Good ac, cable, internet all included and fridge in the room. Speak to Peter he works pm speaks good English. Even late when the restaurant was closed he sent out for food and a great coffee for us for 120 pesos. Safe lovely clean area too.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've driven past loads of times and always wondered about that one. I will recommend it to one of the organisations I work for, whose office is in Gazcue. They're always on the lookout for good value but decent accommodation for their visitors.