Probation (Parole) Officer

georgimoon

Sep 16, 2007
I'm thinking about relocating to the DR. I have a degree in Child and Adolescent Studies, one in Community and Criminal Justice and a Diploma in Probation Studies. I am an Offender Manager in the UK at the moment and was wondering what opportunities, if any, there are for my field of work in the DR? I also have experience of Cognitive Bahavioural Therapy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Forget about it, unless you are fully bilingual and want to work for peanuts.

You stand a better chance of getting a job as an astronaut here, than any type of social work, yes I'm serious.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just thinking outside the box, I would research international organisations working in the DR, in related fields such as youth and children's issues, possibly also organisations working with prisoners and deportees - if they exist.
But as Robert says, if you're not fluent in Spanish there is very little you can offer.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is an 'offender manager' what used to be a probation officer or is it someone 'managing' :) offenders in a residential setting (i.e. what used to be a Borstal)? Just curious because I used to be a probation officer (in the community not inside) in UK in the 1960's.

Might be worth contacting what used to be the Home Office in UK and is now Ministry of Justice??? UK offered some consultancy to DR over setting up the new model prisons. I don't know if you're high enough up the hierarchy or experienced enough to qualify for that sort of work, but no harm asking. Alternatively, pursuing Chirimoya's thought, there are religious organisations, and voluntary organisations with a presence here. World Emergency Relief is involved in the Safe House with Integracion Juvenil in Puerto Plata for example - see if you can talk them into giving you a job (this isn't what they normally do so you'll have to use your cognitive behavioural skills ;)........)
World Emergency Relief
You'll have to have Spanish, of course.

Have you actually visited this country? The prison system and offender methods of disposal are a little different from UK. If you haven't been inside a DR jail prepare for some eyeopening times. Do a search of the threads on DR1 - one poster, manunut, described his experiences graphically if not grammatically. The other thing which is very different here is the notion of client confidentiality - doesn't exist.

Looking on the bright side, the skills you should have acquired through your training will equip you to make the cultural jump so even if you decide to move here and do something completely different, those skills will not go to waste.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Well, that's THREE Brits that have responded to you already - here comes the fourth.

Welcome to DR1 georgimoon.

As all above have indicated, Spanish will give you a head start in anything you decide to take on here - star NOW. Stickers around the house on kitchen utensils, doors, windows, ............. EVERYTHING (esposa is for the wife's forehead & perro [male] perra [female] for the dog's back!!):cheeky:. Then get a good dictionary & start reading the DR newspapers on line daily!!

On ALL matters relating to the psyche I bow to Lambada's great knowledge - other than that, read all the archived threads on relocating to, finding work in, getting Residency etc etc etc so as to get a background in what happens, where & within what timescales!!

You think you had sleepless nights in the 'Offender Manager' field??? Brother, your days (& nights) of rest are gone until you have resided in the DR for at least two years!! The learning curve has just begun. However, you CAN look on the bright side - at least your brain will not become stagnant by moving here & you will remain young as long as you would like to!! :bunny: :ermm: ~ Grahame.

georgimoon

Sep 16, 2007
Thank you for the replies everyone I'm not looking to relocate for about 2-3 yrs so that I can do my research thouroughly!!

Lambada - yeah offender manager is the new probation officer!! I'm going to be seconded to a prison for the next six months so I will have experience of that setting. I have many other skills that I could use and have experience of working in a lot of different settings from working on the railway, to working in kitchens to working in sails!!

I figured it's a long shot using the skills from my degree but I thought I'd ask!!

From the research I've done already I'm aware that I may go over there and do a completely different job than I have done!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I figured it's a long shot using the skills from my degree but I thought I'd ask!!

Not so fast! Are you familiar with Nick Brooke, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office Prison Adviser? He's in DR at present - I did say UK was involved in training here. Article from today's paper:
Experto penitenciario británico resalta avances de RD en materia penitenciaria
Use AltaVista Babelfish to translate if you don't have Spanish. And contact Nick Brooke - if you go on to FCO website you'll be able to work out what his email address is.

He was obviously in Barbados first.
The Bajan Reporter: UK HOPES TO IMPROVE STANDARDS OF PRISON SERVICES IN THE CARIBBEAN