Caribe Tours Sosua - What time should we leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Hello,

We will be driving back from the Rio San Juan area to catch a bus in Sosua to catch a flight in Santo Domingo departing at 3:17PM. Which Caribe bus would you recommend taking from Sosua if we wanted to be at the airport an hour and a half to two hours early? Does anyone know the Saturday schedule from Sosua to Sto Domingo and how long the trip usually takes?

Thanks!

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I believe the buses leave at 20 past the hour. If this is still the case take the 8:20AM out of Charamicos. This should give you enough time incase of traffic or bus breakdown.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Timewise: Sosua to POP--20-25 minutes.
Wait in POP: 15 -20 minutes
POP to Santiago I : 1:30
Wait in Santiago I: 15 minutes
Santiago I to Santiago II: 15 minutes
Wait in Santiago II: 15 minutes
Santiago to Santo Domingo: 2:00-2:30 hours

Taxi Santo Domingo to Airport (Apollo Taxi) about RD$1000 and 45 minutes

Close to six hours. That is cutting it close. Better take a very early bus...6:20 a.m.

HB

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
AND, be sure to be at the airport ATLEAST 2 hours before your scheduled flight. I make it a point to shoot for 3 hours. They have no problem bumping you and will make no apology for your failure to adhere to the 2 hour before takeoff check-in requirement.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
They have no problem bumping you and will make no apology for your failure to adhere to the 2 hour before takeoff check-in requirement.
As far as I know, there isn't a requirement that you check-in 2 hours before takeoff. There is a requirement (at least in the US), that you are at the gate 1/2 hour before takeoff.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
They have no problem bumping you and will make no apology for your failure to adhere to the 2 hour before takeoff check-in requirement.

So true, you will not hear the words "We're sorry". The best thing to do is to make sure you have access to a pc 24 hours before departure. Most major airlines will allow you to check-in online. If checking luggage you still need to arrive at least one hour before departure. If you only have carry on luggage you just need to make sure you are at the gate before "last call".

The safest way is to try to be at the airport two hours before departure.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, all y'all! Seems we are on the same page with this one!! How nice!

Nlove88 is a nice person, so I hope they take the advice.

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Playing it safe

Catching the 6:20 AM is the safest bet, but they should be able to make it on time, if something goes wrong and they only catch the 8:20.
Figure 5 hours of bus ride, a generous 40 minutes to get the luggage from the bus, grab a cab and give allowance for traffic slowdowns.
That would get them to SDQ by 2 PM.
I know that the CDN tour reps in POP, start handing out seats to the standby passengers, 1 hour before takeoff, so if it's a charter flight to Canada per chance, checking in 1 hour in advance is the minimum.
It's interesting to note that the OP mentions driving to POP from Rio San Juan.
I don't know if they're coming by taxi, but if they were to be late, they could cut across the mountains at Sabaneta and catch the bus in La Vega, if push comes to shove, and lop off a couple of hours.

Now, if that's not covering all the bases, what is?

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
We have to drop off our car in Sosua unfortunately, otherwise I would take the Rio San Juan bus :-/

Thanks for all your help! Anyone know a drive time from Rio San Juan (specifically Los Gringos) to Sosua?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We have to drop off our car in Sosua unfortunately, otherwise I would take the Rio San Juan bus :-/

Thanks for all your help! Anyone know a drive time from Rio San Juan (specifically Los Gringos) to Sosua?
RSJ to Sosua, driving at a fairly normal rate, is a one hour drive, and tack on an extra 10 minutes to get to the POP airport, plus any additional time (if any) for Los Gringos to RSJ.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Rocky is right about getting to the airport 3 hours before flight time! I'm a victim of the SDQ bumping 'policy'. Don't play around with them, get there early or you will be making a reservation for an additional day in the DR. Not so bad if you aren't on a schedule, but if you are, it's the pits!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
You might drop your car off in Sosua the day before. Take one of those cars that say Sosua to RSJ back to RSJ. They are about 35 pesos but squish 4 people in the back. You can pay for extra passengers so the ride is more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.