Ticket taxes!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I just looked at the taxes on a fare I was pricing for next year to Colombia from the DR. Total taxes: US$230.70

Colombia - US$55.00
Dominican Republic - US$145.70
Fuel surcharges - US$30.00

The DR sure does kill you with taxes!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
yeah, i'm coming to sosua on my frequent flyer miles in november. it costs 97.00 which is the taxes. i only say that because i can go to Costa Rica for 30.00 and Puerto Rico for 15.00 and a few other places for way less than 97.00.
why am i complaining for 97 bucks ? :laugh:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good question Kyle!

Robert - those taxes are helping to make this country uncompetitive! That is all we need..........

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Good question Kyle!

Robert - those taxes are helping to make this country uncompetitive! That is all we need..........

Exactly right. A single person going to the DR it probably doesn't make much of a difference. A family of four that price adds up quickly. They may think of going to one of those destinations Kyle was talking about.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The taxes kill me too. This 145 dollars DR tax is simply ridiculous When will these jahil (chopo in pakistani language) understand its doing more harm to tourism than good.
AZB

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I just got ripped too.

I previously posted on a thread that I did not particularly have a problem with the taxes in the DR becasue I felt that these monies were being used to improve the airports and runways and air-related safety.... - - - - I now have to change my mind! -

I just purchased a ticket from BOS to SDQ and the cost was $75 each way and that is on a Direct Flight. The taxes are $143 - What a rip!

The DR really needs to figure a better way to generate revenue instead of robbing the air travlers.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
is it safe to say that the DR has some of the highest taxs in the carribean ?
Anguilla – US$77.35
Antigua – US$63.75
Curacao – US$54.80
Dominica – US$51.50
Grenada – US$56.65
Guadeloupe – US$64.25
Georgetown – US$53.60
Martinique – US$55.10
Nevis – US$66.05
St. Kitts – US$65.50
St. Vincent – US$47.45
San Juan – US$81.75
Santo Domingo – US$106.05
St. Maarten – US$64.25
St. Croix – US$78.30
St. Thomas – US$78.30
Tobago – US$51.80
Tortola – US$69.65
Port-of-Spain – US$52.75

as of 6/30/2007. maybe more or less depending on your travel dates....

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
From DCA to STI - $141 in taxes.... I am going to Costa Rica to see rain forest next time. Greedy officials in the DR are way too obnoxious.

Sep 19, 2005
push has to come to shove....most people paying the taxes for airfare dont vote in the DR

and they have enough money to fly, and they have more money than the guy that has a hard time finding food much less a JOB!!!

lets forget the corruption ( the reason so much tax is needed in the first place)

you have to generate the money and not rile the people into madness.

the people flying like kyle into the dr, dont set up Huelgas.( at least that i know of) and they come back time after time, no matter what the taxes are....

the DR thinks the tourist is the goose that lays golden eggs, and that it is a tough old bird that cant take a lot of kicking.

and they may be right for a while.... I drive all over that country and wonder how they generate revenue from all those people that do nothing all day long.

I was thinking about taxes in america recently , because so many people are skawking about fat in foods( I had KFC for lunch) ...soo much that they are starting to BAN certain fats....because it is BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH...I thought to myself...JUST tax the dammm fatty foods if it is bad...thats what they do with alcohol and tobacco!!!!!!!!!! thus my point.....are they taxing the crap out of alcohol and tobacco in the dr like they do with SIN taxes in the US????

bob

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
The taxes on the cost of a ticket are quite high. They think the airlines are making tons of money on the tourists and they want a bigger cut.

So what has to happen?

The airline cant lose money so the price of the ticket goes up accordingly.

Less people fly to the DR because the cost is the same as lots of other places they would like to visit also and now can for the same price as the DR.

If they can't fill the planes the airlines have less flights.

Less flights turns into less tourists.

What happens next? hrmm I guess they can always raise taxes more to compensate for the lack of tourists.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the DR DID raise the taxes on alcohol and tobacco products recently, but ended up reducing them again because tax revenue DECREASED due to reduced sales. People actually cut back on drinking and smoking because they couldn't afford what they had consumed before and still pay the rent and buy food.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the DR DID raise the taxes on alcohol and tobacco products recently, but ended up reducing them again because tax revenue DECREASED due to reduced sales. People actually cut back on drinking and smoking because they couldn't afford what they had consumed before and still pay the rent and buy food.

I don't think the decrease in revenue was really because of taxes. Trust me Dominicans are not going to stop drinking because of higher taxes...The main reason for the decrease is the curfew the government has imposed. The lowering of the taxes had to do with the alcohol producing companies complaining to the government and threatening to take take production somewhere else...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I just looked at the taxes on a fare I was pricing for next year to Colombia from the DR. Total taxes: US$230.70

Colombia - US$55.00
Dominican Republic - US$145.70
Fuel surcharges - US$30.00

The DR sure does kill you with taxes!
I'm surprised the taxes are so high.

From the US the total taxes (excluding some hidden US taxes) are about $125US, with about $50US of the taxes charged by the US and $75US by the DR.