How long did it take?

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
I have a question for those who live in the DR, or visit for extended periods of time.

How long did it take for you to become acclimatized to the heat?

During my travels to the DR, I find the daytime heat to be overwhelming
(especially during the summer months). When does this stop?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have a question for those who live in the DR, or visit for extended periods of time.

How long did it take for you to become acclimatized to the heat?

During my travels to the DR, I find the daytime heat to be overwhelming
(especially during the summer months). When does this stop?
I'm not used to it, so I take siestas in the afternoons and just avoid it.
I don't think that anyone can work out in the afternoon sun and become used to it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Summers are hotter than winters, and the past several years both have been warmer then normal, with each year hotter than the year before.

The heat bothers some people more than others. In my family, it bothers Barbara, my wife, more than it does me. Even after 21 years here, she finds the heat hard to take during the summer months.

Rocky is right; you have to plan your life around things like the heat of the day. My wife lies down after lunch, too, either sleeping or reading with the fan going.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Probably about 3 years. I remember looking at the Domican women in jeans and thinking 'how can they do that?', and now I wear jeans all the time. I sleep with a fan - not air con, but I'm like Rocky, I always take a siesta in the afternoon - not with him though!!!! And I keep out of the sun if I can, and if I am very hot, sit in the pool for an hour which tends to keep you cool for the rest of the day.

matilda

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

lived in florida before living here...florida is much hotter and humid.I have no problem with the heat here...nice breeze in the evening from ocean.
bob

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007

lived in florida before living here...florida is much hotter and humid.I have no problem with the heat here...nice breeze in the evening from ocean.
bob

I did not realize that Florida was hotter. I've been there a few times, during Jan & Feb, and found it to be very comfortable.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Its not even the sun, its the humidity. I remember one night I was entertaining a friend at PJs in Sosua and we were sitting in the outdoor portion.

All we did was order a few glasses of juice and talked and I was drenched in sweat. It makes it impossible to dress up nice and walk around when you are not acclimated to the heat and humidity.

Next time I will use a sauna to acclimatize for a good two weeks before I hop on a plane to the DR.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Its not even the sun, its the humidity. I remember one night I was entertaining a friend at PJs in Sosua and we were sitting in the outdoor portion.

All we did was order a few glasses of juice and talked and I was drenched in sweat. It makes it impossible to dress up nice and walk around when you are not acclimated to the heat and humidity.

Next time I will use a sauna to acclimatize for a good two weeks before I hop on a plane to the DR.

Funny, but true Berzin.
I find that if I drink cold or slushy drinks alot in the DR, it really lowers my body temp.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I did not realize that Florida was hotter. I've been there a few times, during Jan & Feb, and found it to be very comfortable.
I always though that South Florida summer highs were higher than here, but I have been proven wrong by searches on the internet.
Different sites offer different numbers, but they all seem to be from 88 to 90 F, which I think is a tiny bit cooler than here, where I think we average 92 F.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
I found the DR summer heat to be comparable to Las Vegas summers. Stay inside during the day!!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
You've definitely got the right idea, qt. Just stay out of the sun, and try to do an afternoon siesta. Otherwise, that sun will sap your energy.

I'm from the southwest, and never fully got used to the midday heat, which in the summer got B-A-D.

Oh, and while this may be near blasphemy, don't drink any alcohol. It just dehydrates you. Instead, drink LOTS of bottled water and juice, even if you're not thirsty.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
How long does it take....

NEVER! (lol).

Getting used to it and liking it are two different things. All in all, I think it depends on the person. I've only been living here for a little over one year and I can't say that I'm used to the heat, but I like it this way. There is no air-conditioning in my house, but a fan in every room. I sleep with the fan on all night long and I'm comfortable. Whatever room I'm in, I turn on the fan. I drink lots of water (with ice) and only exercise outside very early in the morning before it gets crazy hot, or later in the evening just as the sun is going down. I never go anywhere without something to wipe the sweat off my face. Whenever I start thinking about how damn hot it is, I quickly remind myself of the extreme cold winter weather in Michigan where I'm from.

So really, I don't think you ever totally get used to it; you just learn to tolerate it and like Rocky says, work around it. Whewww.... where is that sweat rag???:bunny:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I lived in Florida for a stack of years and could not do it without aircon. I found in the DR I could happily live without aircon with good fans and evening breezes. The humidity in Florida was just too high so I felt the Florida heat more than in the DR.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
I lived in Florida for a stack of years and could not do it without aircon. I found in the DR I could happily live without aircon with good fans and evening breezes. The humidity in Florida was just too high so I felt the Florida heat more than in the DR.

So during the day do you stay inside? Do the fans cool you down enough during the day?

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
NEVER! (lol).

Getting used to it and liking it are two different things. All in all, I think it depends on the person. I've only been living here for a little over one year and I can't say that I'm used to the heat, but I like it this way. There is no air-conditioning in my house, but a fan in every room. I sleep with the fan on all night long and I'm comfortable. Whatever room I'm in, I turn on the fan. I drink lots of water (with ice) and only exercise outside very early in the morning before it gets crazy hot, or later in the evening just as the sun is going down. I never go anywhere without something to wipe the sweat off my face. Whenever I start thinking about how damn hot it is, I quickly remind myself of the extreme cold winter weather in Michigan where I'm from.

So really, I don't think you ever totally get used to it; you just learn to tolerate it and like Rocky says, work around it. Whewww.... where is that sweat rag???:bunny:

LOL... I thought I was the only one who carried a sweat rag there. (I hide mine in my purse).

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
You've definitely got the right idea, qt. Just stay out of the sun, and try to do an afternoon siesta. Otherwise, that sun will sap your energy.

I'm from the southwest, and never fully got used to the midday heat, which in the summer got B-A-D.

Oh, and while this may be near blasphemy, don't drink any alcohol. It just dehydrates you. Instead, drink LOTS of bottled water and juice, even if you're not thirsty.[/QUOTE]

Good advice. I like lots and lots of ice in my drinks, it helps.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
LOL... I thought I was the only one who carried a sweat rag there. (I hide mine in my purse).
Hmmmm.
I have no purse.
I guess that explains why I have no sweat rag.

There's an art to avoiding the heat, and sweating.
Always be in the moving air of your fan, grab several showers per day, or visits to the pool, avoid working in the sun, wear light clothing that breathes, wear sandals, and no nookie nookie in mid afternoons.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
How long does it take....

Ahhhhh so I'm not alone in this! Sometimes I'll have mine hanging out of one of the pockets on my capri's. My husband HATES when I do that. But hey, to me it's better than dripping all over everything. (lol)

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Hmmmm.
I have no purse.
I guess that explains why I have no sweat rag.

There's an art to avoiding the heat, and sweating.
Always be in the moving air of your fan, grab several showers per day, or visits to the pool, avoid working in the sun, wear light clothing that breathes, wear sandals, and no nookie nookie in mid afternoons.

Awww too bad, nookie nookie is great in the heat, especially when you're sweating!!!

BTW..where did you hear the term nookie nookie? I thought that was an AA thing.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Awww too bad, nookie nookie is great in the heat, especially when you're sweating!!!
Easy for you to say.
We're the ones doing all the work.

BTW..where did you hear the term nookie nookie? I thought that was an AA thing.
Alcoholics Anonymous?
American Airlines?
I'm confused, but if you must know, I believe it was my momma who taught me the term, not wanting to say the F word.