show me the manatee !

S

sokitoumi

posted in evironment but no replies yet....has the old manatee of santo domingo zoo passed away...if so where is one more likely to spot one of these elusive creatures...ive scoured australia for his cousin the dugong with no success.
There used to be manatee spotting trips i believe but i doubt they were seen very often

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
posted in evironment but no replies yet....has the old manatee of santo domingo zoo passed away...if so where is one more likely to spot one of these elusive creatures...ive scoured australia for his cousin the dugong with no success.
There used to be manatee spotting trips i believe but i doubt they were seen very often
Did you say that you've scoured Australia for a manatee?
Anyhow, I'm not sure if you're asking about seeing manatees anywhere in the world or just DR.
If it's of any interest to you, I used to feed the manatees in Fort Lauderdale's port everyday.
A bunch of them hang out near the electric plant, as they like the hot water.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Estero Hondo (near Punta Rucia on the north coast) is supposed to be a good place.

There is one in Georgetown Zoo in Guyana but I wasn't there for feeding time.

The one in the Santo Domingo Acuario (Tamaury) died a couple of months ago.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Estero Hondo (near Punta Rucia on the north coast) is supposed to be a good place.

There is one in Georgetown Zoo in Guyana but I wasn't there for feeding time.

The one in the Santo Domingo Acuario (Tamaury) died a couple of months ago.
Are they getting to be that rare?
I know that the Florida folks told me that a lot of them would get hurt from the motorboat props, but there were so many in the port, that it never crossed my mind that they were getting that scarce.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There are between 7 and 11 left and it is hard to see them. You have to cruise the estero or sit on your boat and wait, and perhaps they come by and perhaps not ...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are between 7 and 11 left and it is hard to see them. You have to cruise the estero or sit on your boat and wait, and perhaps they come by and perhaps not ...
We used to feed them lettuce in FLA.
I wonder if you can chum them with it, like you do sharks.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
according to my Cuban friend, isla del pinos - now called the island of youth, manatees are very good eating. Lazaro has told me that certain parts are like chicken and others like beef, other parts are more like pork. he has only eaten manatee in Cuba..........please do not share this information with any dominicans.........