El Caucho Hotel in Boca Chica

saly8

Oct 8, 2007
There's a thread talking about the El Caucho Hotel but in 2005. Does anyone have newer information, newer comments on the El Caucho...I'm planning on going there for X-mas for 2 weeks. Any comments, photos of the premises and/or rooms would be appreciated. thanks!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I am not really sure what happened to Hotel El Caucho. I stayed there a few times in 2006 just before they closed down for a short period of time. It is my understanding the hotel changed management/owners. I know management changed in 2006. I would definetly try to get a recent update on Hotel El Caucho.

In 2005 and part of 2006 the hotel was more geared for the single male traveler. Know what I mean. It was reported that the owners are no longer interested in that type of crowd. I can not confirm this.

Hotel El Caucho is a nice long walk to the center of town and not a walk you would do at night.

I hope someone will respond with current information as I liked the hotel. A little out of the way but that is what made the hotel quiet.

saly8

Oct 8, 2007
thanks for giving the information you have...why wouldn't walk at night? Is it a dangerous part of Boca Chica or just too long of a walk to do at night. I'm not very nervous but just cautious... you know I wouldn't do something in a foreign country that I wouldn't do in my own town...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...why wouldn't walk at night? ...

It is a long walk to the closed off area of Calle Durate on a couple of blocks of dark streets. For $40 pesos I would take a moto. A lot of times it is just a question of being safe or being sorry.

saly8

Oct 8, 2007
exactly... I don't think I would be walking alone anyway we're traveling a few friends together but I'll definitely keep that in mind! thanks

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
Spent two nights there last Dec 25/26 2006. It was a small room (but we were happy to get anything without a reservation). The pool area is clean, plain. I noted in my journal - worn sheets. I think the restaurant was decent for the one dinner we had. I liked being close to the fish stands for another dinner. There seemed to be a mixed crowd - couples, non-DR families.

If the construction noise isn't too bad, I recommend the El Candil. However they have few $40 rooms. I have stayed at Costalunga a few times. We were at El Caucho because both of those were full.

I have also checked out El Neptune - further from beach (what is the beach like on the other side of the Hamaca - does anyone know?), but looked tranquilo.

saly8

Oct 8, 2007
thanks...where was your room? Facing the pool? Did it have a small living room area? that's what we're supposed to have!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
35$ per night

Wow, that is pretty cheap. Is that for the very, very small room or the room with the living area and kitchenette? I would double check the reservation. The website lists the room with living area as $70 USD per night.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
listen to bigbird on this one. 35 sounds very cheap even for boca chica. Candil and Costalunga both have apts with living area in the mid-40's. Both have two bedroom "suites" for about 70. (They also have very small non-ac studios for around 35).

My concern is that you might be booking a studio and will have to upgrade (if available) when you get there.

I would CALL them and find out what you are getting! Calling can be a challenge tho if you dont speak spanish and the front desk doesnt speak english (you havent told us if you speak spanish). My spanish is not great...but i can at least call and make sure that i get a quiet room (important at candil these days with that damn construction).

A female traveler friend of mine also recommends Calypso...right around the corner from candil and costalunga...perhaps another option.

CALL!!!! if you dont speak the language then invite a friend over who does and have them call!

Oh..and BTW..i'd rather spend and extra 10 usd a night to stay somewhere that i know is nice, good service and secure...its a vacation right? dont want to trim the budget too much where you dont have fun.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You COULD Ask The Two Italians Killed In Boca Chica Last Week!!!

But I guess they won't have much to say!
Read the article about Boca Chica in Diario Libre today. They say that the beach has been "taken Over" by "Buscones". A Dominican term for the "Guys" that pester/intimidate you on the beach. They put a "Surcharge" of 100 to 200 percent on all food/beverages/beach chairs,umbrellas,or anything else that makes going to the beach enjoyable. When the hotel and restaurant owner try to get them out,they threaten a "strike" where they will burn tires,and throw garbage in all the streets. The article says that they are breaking into cars left along the streets while the owners go to the beach. "Boca",,NO THANKS!!! Try "Juan Dolio"!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

But NEVER leave ANYTHING in your unattended car in the DR! Might as well leave it unlocked too. They will just bust the window to get in if it is locked!

saly8

Oct 8, 2007
I've already confirmed which rooms we have. By the way I speak fluently spanish. We are 4 people traveling in 3 different rooms. That's why they made a deal on the reservation. We all have a room with a living room overlooking the pool, we already have the room numbers. We know somebody in Boca Chica that went to check it out. Thanks for warning me though.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i was there just a few weeks ago...no problems at all on the beach! I sit at Playa del Sol (towards the "public" side of the beach (green and white umbrellas). They dont charge me for the chair, their food prices are reasonable (for the beach) and the take good care of my stuff if i go swimming. Ask to speak to WIlliam (he's kinda chubby)...before you sit and negotiate the chair (free as long as you order some stuff).

WHen i was there a few weeks ago things were VERY quiet...not even too many vendors. With the exception being Festival De Mercedes....man the place was JAMMED packed!!!!

when you are going the only crowded day will be sunday. when the beach is crowded with families from santo domingo...otherwise its very quiet. SOme people here slam B.C. all the time as it seems they have vested interests elsewhere.

Give us a trip report when you get back!

PM me and i will give you my name to make sure you get the free chair service on the playa

also..how long are you going to be there for? you MIGHT want to check out some of the other beaches in the area if you get bored in boca.

saly8

Oct 8, 2007
I will give you some news...surely I'll also take some pictures of the hotel El Caucho, it seems that noone has any.

I know William...not my first time in BC, that's why I don't listen to all the comments that we can read on the different forums...People can have their own reason to go or not to go it doesn't mean you have to bash the place!!???!?!??!?

I'm going only for the X-mas vacations so it'll take a while before I'll give some news!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I will give you some news...surely I'll also take some pictures of the hotel El Caucho, it seems that noone has any.

I know William...not my first time in BC, that's why I don't listen to all the comments that we can read on the different forums...People can have their own reason to go or not to go it doesn't mean you have to bash the place!!???!?!??!?

I'm going only for the X-mas vacations so it'll take a while before I'll give some news!

Kewl..sounds like you know what you are doing and have things put together! You speak spanish...you know william...you've been there before...so you know what the deal is! If there are 3 or 4 of you walking home at night..i am sure you wont have a problem.

Let us know about the hotel when you get back! It sounds familiar...and i am always looking for something on the cheaper side (yet secure).

have a great trip! xmas i am sure will be fun!

I stayed there in at the end of August

I recently stayed in Boca Chica last week of August spent the first couple of days post hurricane at the hotel Zapata and the rest of my stay at the Caucho. While slightly overpriced for Boca Chica hotel Zapata has a nice location right in front of the beach. Hotel El Caucho on the other hand has an excellent pool. As for the hotel being a little out-of-the-way it's perhaps three blocks away from the main strip or what would be spoken about as the center of town with a walk from which I found to be safe if your streetwise and know how to carry yourself.

There are some disturbing things about hotel Caucho which took me awhile to understand, and which I arrived at understanding only at the end of my stay. Ownership has changed recently from what I understand to have been an establishment owned and run by Italians and is now run by a very cordial Dominican woman and her nieces. They certainly are trying their very best to cater to their guests, keep the place safe and enjoyable. Sometimes they have to outsource food from kitchen having it made at some other location, which can make for a long wait sometimes especially if you're hungry; 45 minutes to an hour I say depending on what you order. You also have to watch out for some odd surcharges. Some of the bartenders like for you to charge up a tab asking you to buy them drinks and others; if you don't keep track of this you can wind up with a pretty hefty bill at the end of your stay or in the morning the next day. Also it appears that some of the girls that work at this hotel are actually "working girls" which is okay if that's what you're into. But a friend of mine who went on this trip with me hooked up with one of these girls not knowing that that's what she was. At no time did she solicit or make it known that that's what she was. At the end of his stay there was an extraneous sum of money charged to his room. Apparently for services rendered. Some thing to keep in mind when staying at this hotel.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i went to boca chica earlier this year (when i met jrzyguy) i stopped by the el caucho. it seemed like a nice place but i also thoought it was too far to walk at night. the people there were very nice (including the bar maids) but i chose to stay at the el candil. i just didn't get a good vibe from all the people hanging around the hotel.
maybe it was just my american street-sense kicking in...

saly8

Oct 8, 2007
that's what you get from picking up girls from the street in BC...nothing is free there...