Good hotels in the south west - 2007 update

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
First of all it has to be stressed that although the region has a lot to offer the tourist in the way of incredible natural beauty, the tourist infrastructure is minimal, apart from in the Barahona area. Pedernales is gearing up to cater for ecotourism and that is reflected in the quality of the small hotels there.

Ban? - nothing in town but there are some places in Salinas, the windsurfing beach nearby.

Azua - forget it as far as accommodation is concerned! The best place to eat is Cira, but leaves a lot to be desired.

Barahona - many more options here. The old Riviera is now called Larimar. I stayed at Hotel Caribe which is OK. Further along the coast there is the Swiss-run Casablanca - quite nice but no hot water, and Casa Bonita is supposed to be much better.

Pedernales - Do?a Chava is charming, clean, basic but comfortable although no hot water.
The other good option is called Bartolina, less charming but more comfortable.

San Juan de la Maguana has Hotel Gallery which is adequate, with a fairly good restaurant serving Mexican dishes as well as the usual Dominican fare.
The Maguana is the state-owned hotel built during Trujillo's regime and was recently renovated. The rooms are clean but the service is not so great, and it does have a certain air about it reminiscent of pre-1989 Eastern Europe! The food is correspondingly terrible.

For photos of the spectacular south west, see my flickr site.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Beautiful pictures! What kind of cameras do you and your husband use? I am trying to learn how to take better pictures. The ones you post are just gorgeous!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Thanks! Mine's a Nikon Coolpix E4600 and his is a Canon EOS 20D.

Both of those a good. Is Canon EOS 20D a camera your husband uses for work? It is interesting that professional photographers moved to the digital pictures. They used to be only for beginners ....

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
I am staying at Hotel CariBani now

Rate as a 2 star, clean,:glasses: and 1 block from the Cathedral in city center.

Feb 15, 2005
The beauty of the southwes, specifically Barahona, is that it still has a small town ambiance to it. many of the smaller hotels: Maria Montel, Barahona Hotel, Playa Azul are really nice and econimical for a family to go and spend a nice time. Many well to do locals travel from the Capital to these hotels for a weekend get-away with their families.