Help with a wedding bouquet!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Can anyone tell me what types of flowers are common/typical of the DR?

I am asking because I am trying to make a decision for wedding bouquets and need a little help with what would be available to choose from besides lilies & roses.

I would also love any recommendations for a flower shop in POP if anyone knows somebody really reliable.

Any local info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sangria

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
If you are getting married at a hotel, the wedding planner can help you with all your floral needs. There are lots of florists in PP. I'm sure someone will reply.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Clarification

I'm sorry...I should have mentioned that I am not getting married at a hotel.

Our reception is at Portofino in March 08 and we are meeting with the wedding planner in a couple of weeks to go through some details.

I would like info on local flowers so that I don't order something that has to be imported at huge costs.

I also want to be able to compare the costs of ordering direct from the flower shop vs. the mark up the wedding planner is going to charge me.

At the moment, I haven't decided whether to order flowers through the wedding planner or to do it on our own and therefore want to be knowledgeable about what is available before I meet with her.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sangria

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The florist that most of the hotels use is on the circle near the baseball stadium and court building (towards la Carretera and Costambar). That name escapes me right now.

Another florist I have used and like is Jardines de Jarabacoa. It is on the street near the small park between 27 de Febrero and the police station. The street is a continuation of Beller after the corner where Supermercado Tropical is located.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be SURE To "Shop Around"!! and AROUND!

We did! Florists in the DR can charge a "LOT" of money!
Be SURE you shop around yourself! Some people who have no idea,give you advice! Some people who have a "Vested Interest" send you to "their" florist!
Get "Advice",then do your own "Due Dilligence"!
Cris Colon

And "Congratulations" to you both! I LOVE the "PORTOFINO"! Great Food, Great View,How Romantic!

PS, You "forgot" to say what time we should arrive,and what is the "DRESS"????;);):cheeky:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
We did! Florists in the DR can charge a "LOT" of money!
Be SURE you shop around yourself! Some people who have no idea,give you advice! Some people who have a "Vested Interest" send you to "their" florist!
Get "Advice",then do your own "Due Dilligence"!
Cris Colon

And "Congratulations" to you both! I LOVE the "PORTOFINO"! Great Food, Great View,How Romantic!

PS, You "forgot" to say what time we should arrive,and what is the "DRESS"????;);):cheeky:

Thanks Criss and everybody for the contacts and info!!

The wedding is March 8/08...100 guests...evening & formal

We are getting really excited but nervous & anxious too...my background is event planning & i should be on top of everything but when it comes to my own wedding I am unprepared & can't seem to make a decision and stick with it! Do I want this or do I want that....I change my mind every 5 minutes.

It is way to hard to plan an event from outside the DR. I will be sooooo happy to have some things finalized after I meet with the event planner/florist etc in a few weeks and then I can't change my mind!

The most important parts are the dress (done!), the location (done!), the flowers :ermm:, decor :ermm:, food (almost done) and music (done)!

The rest will be up to the guests to make a night to remember. I hope some of my family will be courageous enough to get up on the dancefloor & dance a merengue or two!

Anyway, thank you again for your kind words!
Sangria

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
No view at Portofinos - Chris?

And "Congratulations" to you both! I LOVE the "PORTOFINO"! Great Food, Great View,How Romantic! ;);):cheeky:

There is no view at the Portofino. I think you might be thinking of Piergeorgio(spelling??) in Sosua. It has the great food and great view.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Can anyone tell me what types of flowers are common/typical of the DR?

I am asking because I am trying to make a decision for wedding bouquets and need a little help with what would be available to choose from besides lilies & roses.

I would also love any recommendations for a flower shop in POP if anyone knows somebody really reliable.

Any local info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sangria

I was married in the DR and we did not have our reception at a resort and therefore did not have the use of a resort consultant. My husband was from the DR so we were blessed in that we had help from many friends and family. Our wedding was on a Monday, I flew in on the Friday before and my husband's aunt and I went to a flower market in POP on Saturday morning and bought a ton of flowers to make the bouquets ourselves because I did not like the flowers/bouquets from local florists. We put them in a bucket with water and made them them the morning of the wedding (for bride, groom, parents of bride and groom, best man and maid of honour) and it all cost about $50.00 U.S.) including ribbon to wrap the bouquets.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Charlielyne

Last time I went to "Portofino" there was a "Quincenera" Party!
"GREAT VIEW"!!!!!!!!!

Actually,you are right! "My Bad"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I don't speak "ITALIAN" vey well!