Current Status Samana-Santo Domingo Highway?

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Can't give you first hand experience at to current or stated status but I tried to drive as much of it as I could about a year ago from La Capital to Samana. Basically, very little of it was started. I found numerous places where they had been grading and making passes but found nothing that resembled a highway. Looks like there are some bridges needing to be built that weren't even started. bear in mind I took this excursion with a GPS and some maps. There could of been a huge 8 lane highway that I was just a few kilometers from so if that is the case, all that is needed is the signs for the on-ramps.

Taking this excursion I managed to cut what is usually a 5 hour trip along the usual route down to about 8 hours.

The only paved portion I saw was a short distance along where they built the toll booth. The toll booth looks great and appears to be ready for it first customer.

I have heard stated the highway will be completed within the next year (along with the metro). Given both their current status and how projects stay on schedule here I will remain cautiously optimistic of either being completed soon.

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
Can anyone provide the latest information regarding the current status and realistic opening date of the new highway? I've heard nothing on this end.

Who knows when it will be open -- but I'll share what I saw mid-Sept 07.

The Boca Chica - San Isidro portion is paved and collecting a toll. Even has permanent signs saying 150km (I don't remember exact number) to Samana. Let you could get there.

The San Isidro to Pueblo Nuevo piece is paved some of the way and groomed dirt the rest. The bridges are not finished and (I heard) the construction passing points were underwater after the recent heavy rains in Monte Plata.

The entrance at San Isidro is guarded during the day Mon - Sat (this is recent development) making it difficult to exit and of course enter. Maybe too many locals were using and getting in way of the construction crews.

I understand they were building from Samana towards Pueblo Nuevo. I know that part if not done, but don't know the true progress.

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
December 2009

Just tried to take the highway from Samana to Santo Domingo, and by my experience, having seen some of these roads built, it will take them from 2 to 3 years to finish this highway. The government is plain lying when saying it will be ready by February next year. It is a joke and an insult!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The government may be lying but they are not the one's building the highway. It's being built with private money by a private company in return for collecting the tolls for some 30 years. However, knowing politics in the DR, it will probably be finished and open just before the presidential election in May, 2008.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The government may be lying but they are not the one's building the highway. It's being built with private money by a private company in return for collecting the tolls for some 30 years. However, knowing politics in the DR, it will probably be finished and open just before the presidential election in May, 2008.

(the rain storm earlier in the hurricane season has pushed the opening date back around what was orignally projected)

DR1
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Autopistas del Nordeste – Expect Early Completion – Additional Project in the Pipeline
Our meeting with Autopistas del Nordeste (AdN) was very encouraging and featured some interesting updates. AdN is responsible for constructing a 106-km toll road between Santo Domingo and the peninsula of Saman? under a 33-year concession granted by the Dominican government. The primary source of funds for the project is toll revenue collected at two toll plazas near the north and south ends of the highway, and there is also a minimum revenue guarantee from the government in case toll revenues fall below a certain level. Project construction is funded in part by the US$163 million 20-year 9.3825% bonds issued in February of last year. The bonds have several sweeteners attached, including a partial guarantee from the World Bank’s Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) which covers 51% of the face value of any loss attributable to specific factors including civil disturbance and breach of contract.

We were pleased to hear from management that the project is moving ahead of schedule and the company expects that construction will be finished three months early (January 2008 vs. May as originally projected). Additionally, tourism-based development in the northern end of the highway in Saman? is expected to spur an increase of traffic flows on the highway, and therefore higher revenues. Finally, we expect that AdN will be contracted to upgrade and develop an additional section of highway – this is just awaiting governmental approval, expected in the first or second week of March [2006). The cost of the additional project is expected to be around US$60 million. Final financing plans have not been drawn up yet, pending final adjudication of the new additional project. While intricately linked with the Dominican economy (traffic on toll roads tends to be highly correlated to GDP), AdN’s notes continue trading about 200 bps wide of the sovereign, leading us to continue viewing them as an excellent proxy.
[/FONT]

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
Highway

I don't care what they say, and who says it: there is no chance in hell they finish that highway by March next year, let alone January!

Feb 7, 2007
And what is the cost? As per recent statistics, highways in Europe cost about 10 million Euro (14 million US$) per KM. Mountaneous areas can cost double that. Even taking into consideration cost of labor, building materials cost is the same. 150 kms from Boca Chica to Samana, would, averaging 10 million Euro (considering cost of labor, mixing plains and mountaneous areas) per kilometer. Sothat is 1.5 billion Euro, or some 70 billion pesos. The partial 160 million US$ bond can finance... some 10 kms. Where is the rest of money coming from?

Also, the PPP system of building highways (Private Public Partnership) has not been very efficient, profitable, or popular in Europe and is somewhat discouraged by economists.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
And what is the cost? As per recent statistics, highways in Europe cost about 10 million Euro (14 million US$) per KM. Mountaneous areas can cost double that. Even taking into consideration cost of labor, building materials cost is the same. 150 kms from Boca Chica to Samana, would, averaging 10 million Euro (considering cost of labor, mixing plains and mountaneous areas) per kilometer. Sothat is 1.5 billion Euro, or some 70 billion pesos. The partial 160 million US$ bond can finance... some 10 kms. Where is the rest of money coming from?

Also, the PPP system of building highways (Private Public Partnership) has not been very efficient, profitable, or popular in Europe and is somewhat discouraged by economists.

yea, I bet you a big amount of that money goes into environ studies and litigations brought by NYMBYs, environmental groups, and other special interests.

Name the safest and best kept roads in DR and there a chance a foreign company is in charge of it.

jomok33

Nov 3, 2007
We are renting a car in Santo Domingo and driving to the Samana peninsula next week. We are trying to get information on the condition of the roads between the two places. Did Hurricane Noel damage the main road from south to north? And, how long should we expect the trip to take from SD to Samana?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Presuming you have driven in the DR before, know your way around Santo Domingo and knowhow to navigate San Francisco de Macoris and Nagua, the trip should take about 4 hours, maybe five.
The road conditions (see DMS' report on the Duarte Highway) are iffy right now.

Unless you are an experienced driver,in the DR, nowhere else, I would take a bus.

HB

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
SDQ to Samana Road conditions

Just made the trip. The roadway is not bad, except for two area along the Duarte Hwy, where it is narrowed down to a single bridge for two way traffic. Not much of a delay, only a few minutes. I would not try the new Hwy, as it is not complete yet, and due to the rains, may be very bad to transit. From the airport in SD (SDQ) to the town of Samana is a 5 hour trip (min.), I know the road well, as I do it all the time. Good luck and do not drive at night, far too dangerous road conditions.

jomok33

Nov 3, 2007
Thank you both for the information. I've not yet driven in the DR, but used to live in Kenya and have driven a bunch in South Africa, Mozambique, and Botswana - so I'm fairly comfortable driving on less than high quality roads with less than high quality drivers :).

We are flying into SDQ on Jet Blue - but have considered taking an intercountry plane to the peninsula. Are there flights that are available and and airline that is in good standing?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Thank you both for the information. I've not yet driven in the DR, but used to live in Kenya and have driven a bunch in South Africa, Mozambique, and Botswana - so I'm fairly comfortable driving on less than high quality roads with less than high quality drivers :).

We are flying into SDQ on Jet Blue - but have considered taking an intercountry plane to the peninsula. Are there flights that are available and and airline that is in good standing?

you can try calling Maximo,he has a new plane and will pick you up at las americas and take you to any of the 3 airports in Samana peninsula.
bob

outofbounds

Oct 9, 2007
Does anyone know what type of plane this guy Maximo has and how much notice he needs to come and get you at SDQ ? I read somewhere he's based in POP, is this true as well ?
thanks

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
Any updates on the new highway from SD to Samana?

I have heard that taxis are using the road. Has anyone used it recently?

cherie36

Oct 16, 2007
We drove that road in December, 2007 on a 4WD truck. It was a drive from hell. Very treacherous. It took us 5 1/2 hours to make the drive (same as the main road) and we nearly fell into the river. DO NOT ATTEMPT IT. This road will take at least 2 to 3 years to be completed

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Does anyone know what type of plane this guy Maximo has and how much notice he needs to come and get you at SDQ ? I read somewhere he's based in POP, is this true as well ?
thanks
He has a single engine,cessna,new,and seats 6 with pilot.He is based in SD,and can get you relatively fast if not flying someone atthe time...
give him a call..809-606-0388
tell him you got inf from bob....