A

apostropheman

chopo literally means poplar....hmmmm :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
(black poplar)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not again...

Ask AZB. He has lots of CHOPO experience...He only mixes with CHOPOS, because according to him they are the coolest to hang out with and he's always raving about how he just went out with this or that CHOPA who took him to his favorite car wash where they had lots of Brugal and danced lots of Regaetton...

Yes sireeee...He's the resident CHOPO expert.

carls

Feb 28, 2006
A chopo is a kind of servant; a chopo is someone who has grown up without to learn how to earn the life by himself/herself and live under the shadow of someone who has reach economical prosperity.generally he/she is very ovedient and faithfull with his master.In short you can look at him/her as a kind of human dog; just differs from the dogs in his ability to talk and walk upright.

On the other hands, there is another one conceptualisation os this meaning:people with very high life standard with very much money or rich pretender ( wanna look rich) who have adopted many of the white American style of life; especially musically transcultured they used to call chopo to the ordinary dominicans. For example: someone who listen bachata,who listen typical or urban merengue and reggeton is a CHOPO.On the contrary someone who listen green day, cold play or the cure is not.finally the way you dress on has to do very much with people call you chopo or not.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Generally speaking, an uneducated person without any style or culture. This could be applied to gringos as well who visit this country and some actually live here.
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Generally speaking, an uneducated person without any style or culture. This could be applied to gringos as well who visit this country and some actually live here.
AZB
And does not apply to any gringo who is up at 4 AM posting on DR1.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
all the good non chopos are back in the states sleeping at 4AM, only dreaming they were awake and having fun in the DR.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
So being called a 'chopo' is not such a good thing. I see the term on here sometimes, but I can't quite seem to picture what one is. Can a female be a chopo, or is it just the men?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Female cannot be a chopo...but chopa... ;)
It's not as simple as that, though.

A chopa is a derogatory term for a maid.

A female as well as a male can be a 'chopo' - meaning tacky, crass, low class.

Actually, I've hardly ever heard the terms being used outside these forums, apart from when a Dominican friend who was lamenting her lost youth and glamour quipped that she had gone "from mega-diva to mega-chopo" - not chopa -- that would have meant something completely different.

I think.:ermm:

A

apostropheman

chopa = Doroda pescado = Seabream
daurade.jpg

:tired::bunny::bunny:

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
It's not as simple as that, though.

A chopa is a derogatory term for a maid.

A female as well as a male can be a 'chopo' - meaning tacky, crass, low class.

Actually, I've hardly ever heard the terms being used outside these forums, apart from when a Dominican friend who was lamenting her lost youth and glamour quipped that she had gone "from mega-diva to mega-chopo" - not chopa -- that would have meant something completely different.

I think.:ermm:

Thanks for the clarification... :)

On another note...
And as far as the term of chopo being used outside of DR1...there are actually a few facebook groups in the DR referring to chopo's...
One against "preppy" Dominicans, and their group picture is the word chopo with a big red line through it...
One called "La gente con mas flow" and the descrption is "solo se admiten gente con flow,lo chopo,....."

Lol...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the clarification... :)

On another note...
And as far as the term of chopo being used outside of DR1...there are actually a few facebook groups in the DR referring to chopo's...
One against "preppy" Dominicans, and their group picture is the word chopo with a big red line through it...
One called "La gente con mas flow" and the descrption is "solo se admiten gente con flow,lo chopo,....."

Lol...
Bear in mind, that although it's a derogatory term, friends might call each other chopo in jest, or maybe even as a term of endearment, like some African Americans might use the "N" word amongst each other in a friendly fashion.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Bear in mind, that although it's a derogatory term, friends might call each other chopo in jest, or maybe even as a term of endearment, like some African Americans might use the "N" word amongst each other in a friendly fashion.

Oh..ok! Did not know that either! Thanks as well for the info :) Well I mean I know that it's considered derogatory...but didn't know the rest of that.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Bear in mind, that although it's a derogatory term, friends might call each other chopo in jest, or maybe even as a term of endearment, like some African Americans might use the "N" word amongst each other in a friendly fashion.[/QUOTE]

Ummm, that's a completely unacceptable word amongst most African Americans.

Rocky, I think you are a sweetheart,... but let's not go there.

S

sokitoumi

a chopo is someone who enjoys their life and gets on with it.....people who call someone a chopo need to look at why they need to feel superior

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Ummm, that's a completely unacceptable word amongst most African Americans.

Rocky, I think you are a sweetheart,... but let's not go there.

Actually I have more black friends than white in Canada...and they all use that word with each other with no problem...but once a white person says that..its a no-no...

Have you ever seen the comedian Katt Williams? (I'll see if I can find a link..just a moment)..well I can't find the link I want...but the section in one of his stand up things specifically is how N*****s need to have white friends (and he gives a bunch of funny reasons)...how white and Spanish ppl need N***** friends...etc....and then he goes on to explain how white ppl while they need to have their N***** friends they should NEVER EVER actually call them "their N***** friends"

Ok...yes...a bit off topic and totally looses the comedy value in my translation...but look up Katt Williams on youtube some day when you have the time and see if you can catch this part...it's really funny...but the language and content is defiantly PG-13+....

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Chopo according to what I have read and known is someone who 1)has a 2000 watt stereo system in their car and blasts bachata 2)drinks brugal 3)goes to car washes 4)speaks like a "tiguere" 5)lives in a cheap barrio 6) you get the idea....

I can go on and on.

Some people might fit into one of the "chopo" categories. Like me for instance...I'm an executive at the company I work for. I make a descent living and went to college. Yadda yadda yadda...AND I LOVE BACHATA!!! I also have a 2000 watt stereo system on my montero and blast bachata. I don't drink Brugal (because I don't like it) and I don't go to car washes. So you see...I am part chopo LOL LOL LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.