K-1 Interview soon...

platana

Mar 15, 2006
Hi all,

A friend of mine has her interview coming up in December and she is going a lil crazy with the new system. She was told she needed her BC, she was born here in Queens...What does it mean to her to get this legalized??? She doesnt know what to do with that!
Also, in DR the police Cert expires within 30 days, but since now all the documents need to be mailed in, does her man need to get two? {one to send in with the package and one to take the day of the cita} just in case?

I will have more questions as she throws them at me, she cant get on the computer at the moment...

Thanks in advance;)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey, Platana...if she was born in the USA...she does not need her BC...her passport will suffice!!!

As far as the Police Certificate, it's my understanding that the expiration date is ONLY for things related to DR...NOT for the US Consulate...

The documents do NOT need to be mailed in, they have implemented a new courier service that will go to her SO's house, bring them a package telling the SO what documents to gather, info on the medical exam and the date of the interview. Once the SO has ALL the documents ready, he has to call the courier service and they will come and PICK up the docs and deliver them to the Consulate...

She needs to send her SO a copy of her passport and the affidavit of support if she's not planning on being there until the interview...those need to be included with the rest of the paperwork...

It's a good idea to keep COPIES of EVERYTHING you give the courier, just in case

Good luck!!!

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
MQ covered most all the bases

The SO will also need to give them the medical exam receipt as that now goes directly to the consulate via the courier and I also think the Banco Popular receipt has to be included

platana

Mar 15, 2006
But it is my understanding that with the new thing they are doing even the USC NEEDS his/her BC...:ermm:

I think even Mayimbe got his not too long ago...

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
Actually yes it is now requesting the Petitoners BC

here is the link on new document procedure

Immigrant Visa Unit - Pre-Interview Document Collection for IV Applicants

The procedure will be as follows:

1) The IV Unit will send applicants their Packet 4, which includes a list of required documents, procedures, and appointment date. This Packet 4 will be delivered to the applicants via the courier service.

2) Upon receiving the Packet 4, applicants should immediately perform their medical exam at the Consultorio de Visas at the Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo. Courier will pick up the results from the Clinica.

3) Approximately one week after delivery of the Packet 4, courier will return to the applicant?s home to pick up all the required documents. At that time, courier will collect from the applicant $50.00 USD/equivalent in pesos (if Santo Domingo) or $65.00 USD/equivalent in pesos (outside of Santo Domingo). This fee is mandatory, non-refundable, and covers all courier services, including final delivery of an issued visa, if applicable.

4) Courier will deliver complete document packages to the IV Unit. Applicants will not be interviewed until all required documents are handed in.

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
Required documents are:

Photocopy of passport (page containing photo and personal data) for each applicant.

Photocopy of both sides of the Dominican cedula (for each applicant age 16 and older).

Two photographs (2x2 inches, in color with white background) for each applicant.

Form DS-230, parts 1 and 2 for each applicant (Visa Application Forms). Do not leave anything blank; for any item that does not apply please put ?N/A? (not applicable).

Petitioner birth certificate (in-extensa and legalized). We do not accept extracts.

Petitioner marriage, divorce, and/or death certificate (if applicable). We do not accept extracts. If the divorce occurred in the Dominican Republic, the ?pronouncement? must be provided, in-extensa and legalized.

Applicant birth certificate (in-extensa and legalized). We do not accept extracts.

Applicant marriage, divorce, and/or death certificate (if applicable). We do not accept extracts. If the divorce occurred in the Dominican Republic, the ?pronouncement? must be provided, in-extensa and legalized.

Dominican police certificate for applicants age 18 and older.

Medical exam for each applicant.

Petitioner Affidavit of Support

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
including:

I-864 (Affidavit of Support)

Photocopy of LPR card or proof of U.S. citizenship.

Federal income tax declarations from the most recent tax year (2006).

If the petitioner declares taxes with someone else (a spouse, for example), that other person must provide a form I-864A (see above link).

If the petitioner does not declare taxes, he/she must provide a signed statement explaining why.

Joint sponsor Affidavit of Support, including:

I-864 (Affidavit of Support)

Photocopy of LPR card or proof of U.S. citizenship.

Federal income tax declarations from the most recent tax year (2006).

If the joint sponsor declares taxes with someone else (a spouse, for example), that other person must provide a form I-864A (see above link).

Receipt of $10.00USD (or equivalent in pesos) payment at the Banco Popular for each applicant age 16 and older.

For K visa applicants only: In addition to the above $10.00USD fee you must pay $100.00USD (equivalent in pesos) at Banco Popular for each applicant, no matter what the age. Each K applicant must fill out form DS-156 (Visa Application Forms). In addition, K-1 (fianc?) visa applicants must fill out form DS-156K (see above link).

The above posts is the new procedure .. this should help .. make sure the SO makes copies of everything

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Well, if they are requiring the Petitioner's BC 'in-extensa and legalized' now...I'm glad our process is over!!!

Is everyone absolutely sure about these new requirements? It's absurd to request a BC from a UNITED STATES CITIZEN when all along the USC's passport is all that's needed as proof for MOST procedures...

Oh, yeah...I forgot...we're talking about the US Consulate IN DR!!!! They seem to do a whole lot of things the Dominican way ...and NOT the US way!!!

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
You guys are all confused.
Yes, they are asking for a BC for the USC, but all this means is you need the version listing your parents, and it must have the raised seal from your vital statistics dept where you were born. It does NOT mean you have to do anything in the DR for your USC birth certificate. If you give one to the courier, you do not need one at the interview, however, I would bring a COPY just in case along with your passport. That should be more than enough.

-Tim

Mayimbe007

Mar 24, 2007
Hey Tim,
I didn't know about the BC w/ the raised seal. The last time I got my BC I just asked for it and it cost me $15. It has my name, parents name and is printed on a official Department of Vital Records Paper and has its own unique Certificate Number. This is identical to the one that I submitted along with my initial I-130 petition. But if there is a variant to this BC, I will go on Monday to get it with a raised seal. What should I be asking for??? Sorry for sounding a bit din witted, but I want to have all my bases covered for my wifes interview :) Thanks in advance for your response.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
The one that you have is the correct animal. Some states like PA where I was born issue a short form like the DR Extracta de Exacta that do not list all the info. The one you have sounds like the correct one. Mine had a raised seal, but yours may not depending on the state.

-Tim

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
Mayi,

I just got BC's in June. The NYC BC for USC has a raised seal (bottom right hand corner) hardly noticeable. But it also has a bunch of new security features. Not sure if you got the same one a couple of years ago. Blue borders, pink background.

But as Tim said all states may be different.

Mayimbe007

Mar 24, 2007
Yep I just checked it does have the pink background with the seal on the bottom right. The border feels similar to that of currency. Thanks, for the confirmation ReD. I got mine back in '05 when I filled out the petition initially.

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
Cool.. Mayi.. So are you almost set on all your paperwork?

Tim... How's the rebirth of DTTUSA coming along?

I am going crazy :eek:gre:

Mayimbe007

Mar 24, 2007
Yeah i'm just waiting for my wife to receive her package so I can fedex her the forms and things that she needs from me. All she needs is the medical and the police document.

platana

Mar 15, 2006
I'm getting there slowly but surely. I sincerely apologize to all my loyal members for the delay. Unfortunately I have a real job during my time off from DTTUSA. :ermm:

-Tim

Damn Timmy! I am losing my mind here!!!! I miss DTTUSA, am I going to have to go for therapy??? :paranoid: