working on a business plan

gregandlynn

Aug 16, 2006
Hi everyone. I have been a member here for a while but rarely post. My name is Lynn and my hubby is Greg. We have spent many holidays in the DR and as our kids are getting older, we are thinking of starting a business in the DR.

Our dream venture would be a little bar somewhere. Nothing fancy. Kind of like Steve's bar (aka corner bar)

I have a career in the law field and my hubby is a millwright but I have 15 years restaurant management exp.

I guess my questions would be, where to start looking for information on liquor laws and licences, and rental property for a location. We were in Punta Cana in September for a week and are returning at the end of November for two weeks so we will do some leg work then, but it would be good to know where to start :)

We will not be looking at buying property for at least a year, we will be renting out our home in Canada and will remortage it if we choose to stay in the DR.

Looking forward to talking with everyone.

Cheers
Lynn

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Finding the ideal part of the country, is the first step, then moving there and checking out the possibilities to pursue your business dream, is generally a better way to go than jumping in head first into unchartered waters.

Feb 7, 2007
There are no liquor laws here... but there is a law of who you know. To run a bar you HAVE to make connections...police, fiscalia (DA), etc.

S

sokitoumi

To stand out from the crowd you need a unique selling point and a sign that clearly states the name ....its surprising how many places dont seem to have obvious names which stops you being able to tell people about them