Cooking a la Dominicana!

How would you rate "The Dominican Cookbook"?

• Excellent

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Good

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Fair

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The recipes are easy to understand. They work, which is very important.

And the user feels that the authors are right there, helping with the dish.

HB

A

apostropheman

i use the website recipes in the "Great white north" and have a copy of the book, in the kitchen, in the DR house :)

anyone know of a better resource for Dominican recipes, in book for on online?

i have 2 or 3 other "Dominican" cook books in the DR but never use them, and can't remember the names anyway. i have other bookmarks/sites too but don't find them as good either.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for dominican recipes i use minovio's mum.
for polish receipes i use my mum.
who needs books? mums rule!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just as there is a lot more juice in grapefruit than meets the eye ;) there is a lot more to Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook than a collection of recipes. It is possible to peek in the books kitchen window, sniff the evocative aroma of Dominican culture and savour the flavours of a time in the DR before it got hit by fast food. When I first came across the expression the 'aunts' and before I met them I thought it was an acronym: Appetising Unadulterated Non-fattening Tasteful Scrumptious - everything a good meal should be and everything a good cookery book should be.

So I would say 'excellent'. And anyone who eats three meals a day should understand why cookbooks outsell sex books three to one........ :)

who needs books?

If you've gone orf books dv8 can I have mine back? :laugh::laugh:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Nals for posting this poll, and for the positive votes and comments so far.

Thanks also for the not so positive votes :) although it is a pity the critics didn't explain their choice: all feedback, good and bad, will help improve the product.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks also for the not so positive votes :) although it is a pity the critics didn't explain their choice: all feedback, good and bad, will help improve the product.

I get to see as admin who votes for what, interesting :)
I guess some people vote because they have nothing else better to do.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I guess some people vote because they have nothing else better to do.
I would like to enter a vote of agreement with this.*

Thanks all for the nice comments. And I agree with Chiri, those who disliked something in the book should let us know what, we'll take their opinion into consideration for when we prepare a next edition.

BTW, I didn't vote.

---------

Ok. This is the comment that made me come here.
for dominican recipes i use minovio's mum.
for polish receipes i use my mum.
who needs books? mums rule!
First, I am not being snarky, and I absolutely respect your opinion, but... really? You only cook Dominican and Polish?

I find my collection of cookbooks to be one of my most precious possessions. Specially those about foreign cuisine. You see, sometimes I love me some Thai, or say, Greek food, and the lack of discernible living foreign ancestry is a bitch.

And although our book only covers a minute selection of Dominican cooking there are recipes that cannot possibly be known to every Dominican. I am always finding things that reminds me how little I know about the subject. I refuse to stick to the basics.

Don't mistake me, moms are great! Mine (and my real aunts and some friends) have been credited throughout the book for their contributions, but my mom tend to be not very portable. :)

*Sarcasm

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I agree, if you vote for "poor" at least have the guts to post your reasons so adjustments can be considered in future editions.

But like Robert say some people have nothig better to do.

S

sokitoumi

i voted for poor on price for a paperback there are other cheaper books with the same recipes...I didnt realise you had to give reasons

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Are there other cheaper books with the same recipes? In English? Apart from our text- only version?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NO freakin' way!!! The photos alone cost a fortune to publish. there are absolutely NO cookbooks on Dominican cuisine--go to Cuesta and see for yourself--at a price anywhere close. And none in English!!
I have the bible of Dominican cooking: Ligia Bornia's, and I have seen a couple of others. None are as well made and as well documented as this one.
Better get better info!

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
sokitoumi just got socked!!

by him/herself no less...........

Now if sokit can post the source of the cheaper cookbook along with it's title and author so we can verify the accuracy of that statement.......

well let's just say I've always wanted to see a miracle!!:squareeye

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay Dios mio....

I agree, if you vote for "poor" at least have the guts to post your reasons so adjustments can be considered in future editions.

But like Robert say some people have nothig better to do.
Guts?.

I thought one could vote on a "POOL" anonymously without giving a reason?.

Oh well....

About the book:

People I know have this book and I am YET to hear ANYTHING negative about it.

Not only that but my g/f is interested in it and she is NOT even Dominican.

I think that soon I will place an order for one.

Btw: if you MUST know, I didn't vote since I don't have the book. But I will, when I get it.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Como.....

POOL? Is it flooded where you are too? ;)
What, I made a mistake?. Shyt, I guess I am not perfect after all.

TheChiriPolice?, wahahaha!!.

Btw: care to sell your book?. Don't foreget (get it for"e"get) it's used, wahahaha!!.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I use the online recipes all the time. I recommend them.

I tried to make arepa last week and it didn't turn out, don't know what I did wrong. I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to it. :surprised

I have considered buying the book...but the website is free ;)

Are there more recipes in the book than online? That would be a good excuse for me to spend the money....