is san cristobal a good excursion

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
how far is san cristobal from SD? is it a good drive? will be in SD nov 29-dec6 and are looking for something beautiful to see. we have a rented van and plan on a day or two in jarabacoa but am interested in the national park with the (caves cuevas de pommiers?) anyone familiar with the trip?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
San Cristobal is worth seeing, but it's about a 4-5 hour drive, maybe more, from SD. Make sure you take someone who knows where your going and at least copies of your passport, because you will be stoped at least once by the police. You'll be near the boarder.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
San Cristobal is worth seeing, but it's about a 4-5 hour drive, maybe more, from SD. Make sure you take someone who knows where your going and at least copies of your passport, because you will be stoped at least once by the police. You'll be near the boarder.
Huh? San Cristobal is not near the border, and I haven't seen checkpoint there like neer Jimani or Dajabon. You're not confusing it with something else? Sancri is just a suburb of Santo Domingo, really.
The town is mildly interesting, mostly because of two of Trujillo's palaces, and the Cathedral, which is supposed to wonderful inside with murals and such, but I always found it closed. Pomier is said to be the most spectacular caves with Taino paintings of the DR, but when I was there this spring it was 'closed for repairs', and it didnt look like repoening soon or anything happening really.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Oriole, San Cristobal is about 20 mins from Santo Domingo - of course depending where you coming from. But is def NOT that far away!

Sancri is not a touristy town. You can check out the caves, La Toma, go to someone's finca, or try Palenque beach. If staying the night, try to go to some of the night spots too.