volunteering!

sylvia00

Jul 17, 2007
hi... I live in sto dgo, and I was just wondering if anyone of you knows of any good organizations here in the capital where I can do some voluntary work a few times a week... thanks!!

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
Volunteering

Well it depends what you like.
From my knowledge there are some main fields in Social Change. These are some:
Organizations that provide Social Services.
Org whose main focus is Activism.
Org whose bread and butter is Community Development
and my own field, Organizing or Community Organizing.

There are many organizations here in Santo Domingo working in these 4 fields, especially social services. I will post more, when I have a chance; these are some to begin with.

Social services: Casa Rosada:
La Casa Rosada
A project of the Nuns/Priests of the Saint Vincent de Paul Religious Family.

Franciscan Bernadine Sisters: They have this great school for children, always looking for help.
Franciscanas Bernardinas Tel y Fax: 809-234-0825
Apartado Postal 53-20
Calle Caama?o - San Francisco de As?s N? 2
Los Tres Brazos, Los Mina
Santo Domingo

Organizing and Community Development: Centro de Estudios Sociales Padre Juan Montalvo, S.J. and Servicio Jesuita a Refugiados y Migrantes // Rep?blica Dominicana

Activisim:La Lucha contra la corrupci?n

These organizations are kind of hard to categorize:
|Casa de Teatro| XXXII Aniversario
Welcome to Melassa.org
Fe y Alegr?a
Rancho Campeche

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
I forgot to mention that most local Catholic Churches are also always good places to find volunteer positions. Especially with the Tropical Storm affecting the country, if you want to help out with money or your time, most churches always have projects that respond positively to peoples short term-long term needs.

The YMCA in Santo Domingo does a tremendous job serving the less fortunate, including hundreds of "street children". The Executive Director is a wonderful person, and a good friend. They can always use volunteer help. If you would like his contact info, PM me or drop me an email.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mujer y Salud are looking for volunteers for Noel emergency relief work this week. See my other post on the subject/PM me for more details/go direct to MyS and contact Clarissa Valdez or July Betances. Tel: 809 682 3128. Address: Calle Jos? Gabriel Garc?a 501 esquina Cambronal, Ciudad Nueva. Santo Domingo.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Red Cross is having a briefing for volunteers this afternoon at 6pm in their offices:
salon de actos, 2nd floor, Sede Central, Street Juan E. Dunant, # 51, Ensanche Miraflores, Sto. Dgo. (Behind Caribe Tours)

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I assisted to the Red Cross briefing yesterday and they need people in all kinds of areas, even for a couple of hours, so come on folks?get involve! The office is near Caribe Tours, so pretty easy to get to. Help needed in the following areas:
- Office location: Filing, accounting, receiving donations, data entry, load boxes on trucks.
- On site location: Damage report in communities, distribution of donations, assist doctors.
- Others: Receive donations at the airport, drivers.

You can contact:
Lic. Neyra Paulino,
Directora Programa Difusi?n/DIH y RCF
Cruz Roja Dominicana.
Tel. 809 334-4545 Ext. 246
Cel. 809 883-2737

Also, Colectiva Mujer y Salud will be going to the communities of San Crist?bal tomorrow 7am ? 7pm, if you are interested contact:
Clarissa Valdez o July Betances. Tel?fono: 809-682 3128 y 809-687 5091.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
For the people interested in joining the Colectiva Mujer y Salud tomorrow, we are leaving at 6.30am from Colectiva Mujer y Salud, C/ Jos? Gabriel Garc?a 501 esq. C/ Cambronal.
This is their website: ColectivAndo