ride with local buses

Frenki

Oct 31, 2007
Hi, I'll spend two weeks in Boca Chica in December.
Is it possible to travel with local buses to Santo Domingo and along south coast and not get lost for guy that doesn't speak spanish :ermm: ?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yes. To get where you are going right, have it written on a piece of paper and then just ask and ask to make sure you get on the right bus.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The GuaGuas will have signs stating where they are going, you should have a spanish speaker go with you into the capital, just to be safe.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Also, ask a person who lives there how much it costs to get where you are going and have EXACT change ready.

I have been on buses and have paid expecting change and the "cambiero"(the guy you pay who is usually hanging on the side of the bus) just brushes me off and says "This is how much it costs!! Thats' it!!!"

Granted, it was ten pesos here and there, but the thing is to not allow it to happen.

Expect a fair amount of rudeness. These people usually are not very nice and they like nothing better than to get over on someone like you.

A

apostropheman

i ride the guagua between santo domingo and boca chica and the taxi publicos around sosua, alone, all the time when i'm in the DR. never had a problem. similarly with regular taxis where ever i am in the DR.

you must know what the fare is and ensure that you know where you're going but i find that almost everyone is quite helpful.

i make sure i know the correct fare, as mentioned in the thread, by asking either friends before i go or others waiting, and just hand it to the guy when asked.

just be sure of the details and be friendly yet confident.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
you know where the public buses are located ? over by the park. just walk up calle duarte until you get to the park. at least that's where i caught them in january and may.
as already stated, bring lots of small change....

A

apostropheman

does anyone know off hand the price for a publico between Sosua and Cabarete currently? is it just 1 publico or do you have to switch? it's been a while. :paranoid::surprised:cheeky:

while in Cabarete what is the normal motoconcho fare...20 pesos like in Sosua?

i don't recall ever taking one there in the past...but who knows what the future holds :)

Frenki

Oct 31, 2007
please if someone can write the freshest guagua rates for these routes:
Boca Chica - Santo Domingo (and reverse), Boca Chica - La Romana (and reverse) Thanks !

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
please if someone can write the freshest guagua rates for these routes:
Boca Chica - Santo Domingo (and reverse), Boca Chica - La Romana (and reverse) Thanks !

Boca Chica - Santo Domingo is 50 pesos. Please keep in mind you need to take two guaguas. The first guagua will take you to the small bus depot on the main highway. You do NOT pay on the first guagua. At the depot ask for the expresso to Santo Domingo. You will board that guagua and pay for the total trip on the expresso.

Your return trip take the expresso and there will be no need to change guaguas.

N

naturelover

"these people" have always been helpful to me if im carrying something they help me out

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Boca chica - San Pedro

I just took the Gua Gua from Boca chica to San Pedro last week. It's also 50 pesos. I think you may have to change buses in San Pedro to go on to La Romana but just tell the cobrador. You get the east bound Gua Gua at the Shell station. The station to get back from San Pedro is different than the one you arrive at - as is true in SD. This may be the case in La Romana as well.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
50 pesos? no! its 35 pesos tops from boca chica to the capital.

A bit more info. You dont pay for the guagua in boca chica. That guagua takes you to a station on the highway. Its important that you get on an espreso bus! (especialy when traveling FROM Santo Domingo to BC).

However...i have noticed that even if it is an express bus they will stop along the way to pick people up if the bus isnt full.

if you get a REAL express guagua..then its about 30 mins to boca chica. When you are at the station in capital...make SURE is says express!!!! also when you are taking the guagua from the highway going INTO the capital...there are a couple of choices. Most likely you want to get the Parque Indepencia guagua.

if you dont speak spanish then i recommend doing it the first time with someone local. After the first time you will see how easy it is. Just know the exact fare and hand the guy the EXACT change.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
just want to add that i have always felt safe on the guaguas...and its kinda fun taking them vs. taxis. I just with they ran later. I think the last one from BC is around 10 or 1030 pm

Frenki

Oct 31, 2007
I'm back from Boca Chica and would like to thank all people here for providing me informations that halped me on my trip !

I went to Santo Domingo 3 times by bus and once to Bayahibe and had good expirience.
Prices for airconditioned gua-guas are: BC - Santo Domingo 50 pesos;
BC - La Romana 90 pesos; La Romana - Bayahibe 50 pesos.
It's very easy to get from BC to Santo Domingo (Parque Independencia) but beckwards is little tricky - once time I had to walk to the place called La Parada to catch bus for BC.

I didn't have any difficulties with guaguas and man who collects money always gave me back right change.
I experienced problem only the last time when I went back from La Romana to Boca Chica with regular big bus. It was 6 pm and It seems regular guaguas schedule was over so people directed me to that big bus.
I gave 100 pesos middle aged man who collected money and he said price was 135 (with small guagua from BC-La Romana it was 90pesos). I gave him another 100 pesos and he started to talk something asking me more money (I don't speak spanish but learned numbers well). I didn't know what he wanted from me but fortunatelly local man behind me knew english and said something firmly to that man who collected money and then he gave me back my change. It seems that man who collected money "forgot" that I gave him another 100 pesos..
And second thing, they did forget to stop on the highway near Boca Chica although I told them 2 times I went to BC. They stopped some 5-6 kms far away from BC after my shouting on them to stop..
That was the only bad experience. But I repeat with regular guaguas I never had any problem, all people was very helpfull and most of the time I was the only tourist in the bus.
Overall, I had very good time and always fell safe driving in that buses. I also had lonely planet guidebook for DR with me and it's maps helped me a lot to get through cities.
Wish you all merry Christmas and happy new year !