Bars for sale in Sousa

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedd333

Nov 5, 2007
Hi - I have been looking at buying a bar/restaurant on Sousa beach but I have heard rumours that this area may be redeveloped - does anyone have any information on this? Also, does anyone know what the turnover is for these premises in this area, there always seem to be a lot advertised for sale. And finally - is there any bars that open in the evening on the beach or are they all daytime. I'm planning my early retirement but I need a business of some sort to keep me busy.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi - I have been looking at buying a bar/restaurant on Sousa beach but I have heard rumours that this area may be redeveloped - does anyone have any information on this? Also, does anyone know what the turnover is for these premises in this area, there always seem to be a lot advertised for sale. And finally - is there any bars that open in the evening on the beach or are they all daytime. I'm planning my early retirement but I need a business of some sort to keep me busy.

Thank you to anyone who can help.
They may be forced to remove the casetas at any given time, so it's not a wise investment.
And they are only open during the daytime.

zedd333

Nov 5, 2007
Thanks Rocky - shame really - I had my eye on something that looked really good. Will the brick buildings also be moved - is there a particular reason they all close at night?

N

naturelover

will your bar be different to others..........if not its probably not worth opening one

N

naturelover

a good sign is always a good start so that people know what place you are talking about...they havent got the hang of signs here yet

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky - shame really - I had my eye on something that looked really good. Will the brick buildings also be moved - is there a particular reason they all close at night?
Any and all plans for the beach casetas, are just speculation.
The main reason that they close before dark is for security reasons.
Too easy to rob the tourists to & fro.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
coz it goes dark and theres no lights down there

First of all, there are lights the whole walkway down there. The problems is that the electicity goes off from time to time.
Many of the bars keep open as long as they have customers. The most popular one, I think is Scandinavian Bar, has been open until 9 and 10 pm several nights the last weeks.
But without customers, the bars close between 6 and 7 pm.

N

naturelover

ooops ive been told off again..........i never go to the beach at night

zedd333

Nov 5, 2007
Thanks for your advice - I'll keep looking for the ideal bar - any ideas of a good area where a brit will feel at home?

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Thanks for your advice - I'll keep looking for the ideal bar - any ideas of a good area where a brit will feel at home?

Try the Brittania.I don't think it is for sale but like everthing in the DR can be had for the right price.
hifiman

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
a good sign is always a good start so that people know what place you are talking about...they havent got the hang of signs here yet

"hang of signs" it may not be a pun, but its funny. Why not buy the best bar, Rockys.... has great new sinage too.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Theres tons of bars and hotels for sale in Sosua. I have seen quite a few open and close in the past 2 years (some even several times). One thing most of the places for sale have in common is that they are failed businesses.

This doesn't mean someone with the right ideas and money behind them cant succeed. Its just the odds aren't in their favor if they aren't able to offer something "different" than the last owner.

Also the price being asked is usually quite a bit higher than what they will eventually accept. Anyone looking to buy should visit for a while and make good local contacts and check the property out carefully. This will cost money also of course but could save you from making a bad investment which seems to happen a lot in Sosua.

N

naturelover

the mistake a lot of bar owners make is that they are supposed to be friendly people persons...i know a few where you are made as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit

zedd333

Nov 5, 2007
lol - I can assure you I am friendly but it is a concern that so many close so quickly. I also take the point that I should spend time ther before makign a commitment. I really apprecaite all the advice.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i think getting established is the key to a successful bar. buy a bar and just hang a sign that says "Rocky's II" and you'll be in bizness :laugh:

just kidding Rocky.....:laugh:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
lol - I can assure you I am friendly but it is a concern that so many close so quickly. I also take the point that I should spend time ther before makign a commitment. I really apprecaite all the advice.
I don't know where this illusion of so many bars closing so quickly came from, but it's not true.
The ratios are surely similar to bars in your home country.
Bars come and go, in and out of fashion, but no more so here than elsewhere.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
also consider location. here in the US and probably everywhere else location sinks or swims bars/clubs, etc. the main drag between harrison's and pj's seem to be the best places for bars. i don't know the name of the street rocky's is located on but that street also.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Why not just rent one for a while and run it and see how it goes - (I know a guy who did it on one of the beach ones, closed after 3 months !? ). This way you find out what your are up against without loosing too much capital.....

Status
Not open for further replies.