just a thought

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
the police are cracking down on red light runners and cell phone talkers....when oh when will they start cracking down on the pasola and motorbike riders....they cause and are involved in more accidents then all the cars ever are..going up one ways the wrong way,running every red light,cutting cars off...etc,etc.
just a thought...
bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
the police are cracking down on red light runners and cell phone talkers....when oh when will they start cracking down on the pasola and motorbike riders....they cause and are involved in more accidents then all the cars ever are..going up one ways the wrong way,running every red light,cutting cars off...etc,etc.
just a thought...
bob
It's not as lucrative a market, not to mention that they can escape so easily.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
well, I've got stopped in front of the supermarket for driving without a seat belt, had to pay 1,024 pesos at the cityhall...when my novia asked why are they picking up on gringos when all locals drive like there is no tomorrow the lady said, well, the police need their salaries...and besides, what the point of fining a local, they can't afford to pay...

Sep 19, 2005
well, I've got stopped in front of the supermarket for driving without a seat belt, had to pay 1,024 pesos at the cityhall...when my novia asked why are they picking up on gringos when all locals drive like there is no tomorrow the lady said, well, the police need their salaries...and besides, what the point of fining a local, they can't afford to pay...

wow last year in Santiago I got a ticket for no seat belt....the fine was either 50 pesos or 150 pesos...i forget...but so cheap as to make it a hassle only.

this past summer an amet officer tried to give me a ticket when I was about to park...my GF finally helped me out with a little complaining about all the cars that are going by with no seat belt drivers...and why always pick out gringos...so the guy let me go.

it is total BS that they hand out ticket to a specific group only.

bob

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
it is total BS that they hand out ticket to a specific group only.

bob

not too sure about that...many times there were filters between Sosua & Cabarete...they were stopping almost all the locals, yet they were letting the gringos go by...donno', perhaps they were looking for someone...all together, I have no complains with the DR cops...try driving in Eastern Europe with a foreign registration.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
not too sure about that...many times there were filters between Sosua & Cabarete...they were stopping almost all the locals, yet they were letting the gringos go by...donno', perhaps they were looking for someone...all together, I have no complains with the DR cops...try driving in Eastern Europe with a foreign registration.
Agreed.
I've seen the Amet cops pull over Dominicans and/or gringos, with no apparent preference.
If they are looking for seatbelt violators, they don't seem to care what nationality you are, at least, that's the way it is in Sosua.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My reply is if AMET signals you to stop just keep on going if you can. Why? Well I had the Amet confiscate my motorbike last year for not using a helmet and I asked him why didn't he pick the guy next to me without one and he said: "Te acerque al paso y tu te quadaste ahi como un pendejo". Which basically means they look for the easiest "chump" to get money off of.

I also had one AMET at the same intersection, E Sadhala and 27, tell me "Deten el motoi" when I was on my way to play golf in my nice golf clothes with the bag strapped to the back of my bike. Needless to say I didn't stop and ran the red light to boot like there was no manana, haha!

And, I had an PN stop me next to my house in my yipeta, I was drinking at the time with a buddy and there was beer in the car and I didn't have my papers. Being a nice guy, I convinced the guy to let me go and told him that I would return with a little snack of sandwhiches and a refresco - which I did and they thanked me profusely!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
not too sure about that...[U]many times there were filters [/U]between Sosua & Cabarete...[U]they were stopping almost all the locals, yet they were letting the gringos go by...[/U]donno', perhaps they were looking for someone...all together, I have no complains with the DR cops...try driving in Eastern Europe with a foreign registration.

Same thing around Higuey and la carretera Mella (Higuey - El Seybo). As soon as we open the drivers window and they see or recognize us, they let us go.

In La Otra Banda and also in Cruce de Veron, there's a P.N. office. At the bump they stop a lot of people, never strop us though.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
well from what chip and I have experienced Santiago aint no Sosua or Higuey is it?????

if they look for illegal guns ...which I have been stopped in a road block for...they OBVIOUSLY let tourist looking people go!!!

they are looking for "the criminal element"...

but is they are a traffic cops looking to rake in the most money.... they target a "specific group"......I will admit they may target richer looking domincans as well as gringos in Santiago...

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Stop this crap that police only stop gringos. Police will stop anyone they want to check who is missing a sticker, seat belt, running red light etc, when they set up a check point. They stop anyone they feel deserves to be checked. So put on your seatbelt and stop running red lights and you will be fine. I ran 4 red lights last night, but I made sure no police was around.
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
see its you dirtbag locals pizzzing off the police and getting away , and then us innocent angels come by and get the cops wrath..

so stiop the criminal activity AZB!!

angel bob

Sep 19, 2005
I know AZB and a few others think it is just our imagination....but lets do a little statistics

AZB how many set belt tickets have you recieved?? or any dominican buddies you know? in the last 2 years?

I have only been 23 times at about an average of 7 days per trip thats maybe 150 ish days of driving.....but you have driven close to 500 or more days of driving and many more hours per day....and I have been given 2 seat belt tickets and tried to be given a third....

and I know you dont usually put your seat belt on..please diont come on and give us that BS...is you run red lights ...you dont use a seat belt.

I know once i see an AMET in santiago..on goes the seat belt....because I know they are gonna look for it with that big white face of mine

bob

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I have all my car stickers up to date, my car is insured my seat belts always on and I don't drink while driving or talk on the cell phone if I am in busy intersections with police around. So if you take these minor precautions, you will also be spared of any headaches. I am actually a law abiding citizen in the day time. Now after 10 Pm, its a whole different story. If there are no police around and no on-coming traffic, I may run the red light after making sure its safe to do so.

AZB

It's unlikely a tourist would ever get stopped by a Santiaguero police officer. Unless you are white and dressed well, and are only seen speeding with the right drivers with a lovely Mocana in the passenger seat, then respectable officers would never be seen issuing you a ticket...

See, I wear pants and speak Spanish, which is why I kick it with the president's daughter, and only get the finest in parking and speeding violations. Someone like Chip could run over everyone in town, but the cops would think it unseemly to ....

Oh, sorry, I must be channeling AZB's usual mindset :glasses:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anymore off topic posts and that posters account will be locked. AZB and DRob, think before you post, better still, don't! :)

Sep 19, 2005
I got to tell ya , I never understood seat belt laws in places where motorcyclists didnt have to wear helmets...that logic eludes me.

because in they will say they are making you wear the seat belt for YOUR OWN safety...

but how can driving a car without a seat belt be more dangerous than riding a motorcyckle with out a helmet!!

the DR doesnt have a helmet law does it??

I really dont object to any of thse new laws or newly ENFORCED laws where safety is concerned or just moving forward with good common sense laws that have worked around the world.

it is just that it seem slight years away before they will be applies in the DR on a predictable basis...

yeah i know if I dont have a seat belt on and get a ticket I only have myself to blame.

but it sucks to watch 50 cars go by with seat belt less drivers while I sit and wait for my ticket!

bob

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Two comments on the one way streets:

1. You usually are only going one way at any given time. At least i think that is how the signs are precieved.

2. Have you seen the sign (Govt sign) at the stop lite in Charimicos. It is a blue sign on the trafic lite cross pole and it Says Charimicos and points down the hill. The only problem is that is a one way street up the hill. So if the Govt cant get it right how do you expect the average Dominican Driver to get it right????

Bob K

Sep 19, 2005
you know my GF hasnt had her license very long and drove to MOCA a few months ago and a cop stopped her for going the wrong way on a one way street....but she was there a few weeks before and the traffic was all going the same way she drove.

the cop told her it alters from day to day!!!!!!! ha ha ha

he let her go...because she said she had never been there before

IT ALTERS FROM DAY TO DAY!!!!!

they must get that from NYC parking

bob

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
.....the DR doesnt have a helmet law does it??

I think there is a helmet law.

In Santo Domingo I've seen AMET stopping pasolas and motores and loading those with violations on a truck to be impounded.

Enforcement doesn't seem to be consistent. [ possible understatement :tired:]

Carros Publicos............. ay mi madre :tired::tired: