Is is so easy to make an airline?

NAVUS_16

Nov 6, 2007
I mean from 06-08 i`ve seen that almost anyone who gets a hand on some $$$ wants to bring a plane to D.R and start something new. Is is so easy? or are people on C.A.A over in D.R making it that easy?($$$$)

eli

Jun 10, 2003
Navus perhaps i can elaborate a little on that, you see in the past anybody that wanted a cetificate would just show up with some cash like $65,000 US which was the going rate about 11 years ago and they would most definately get a certificate then the DR already in cat 3 later 2* nobody was longer imterested in forming legitimate airlines all they wanted was a certificate so they can rent it out to who ever offered the most money via wet leases.

Now the country is in cat 1 and everybody wants a certificate but they think it's like old times and it's not an example is that these spaniards came in about 4 or 5 months ago with AirDominicana and said they would be operating by the end of 2007 and that's not going to happen as we can see.

Sol Dominicana also came here with the same intention and they evenbrought an aircraft but they failed to pass the economic authority part of the process so they thought they were going to make political pressure using the Brasilian embassy but that has not worked and i believe it will not work that way.

As for the rest i believe there are a couple of local carriers being certified but not at the level of the Air Dominicana or Sol they are smaller carriers with potential to grow.

I think this sumes up a little information as to the question you had earlier.

NAVUS_16

Nov 6, 2007
I appreciate the help. Now from what ive seen on the " Small Local Carriers" that we have here popping up everywhere, making "REGULAR" flights Internally in D.R and which they do not hold a Certificate or perhaps have a certificate but have some other aircraft on the Certificate hmmm lets say a C206, "Just as an example" and making daily flight internally in D.R everywhere with another type of aircraft. not N- Registerd. How come C.A.A over here doesnt do nothing about it? They act as if they have blind folds on. Same goes with some local airlines in D.R that have N- Aircrafts but dont have them on there Certificate. Whats the point of trying to make money on Aviation if Aeronautica over there doesnt even play by the Rules.($$$)

eli

Jun 10, 2003
I appreciate the help. Now from what ive seen on the " Small Local Carriers" that we have here popping up everywhere, making "REGULAR" flights Internally in D.R and which they do not hold a Certificate or perhaps have a certificate but have some other aircraft on the Certificate hmmm lets say a C206, "Just as an example" and making daily flight internally in D.R everywhere with another type of aircraft. not N- Registerd. How come C.A.A over here doesnt do nothing about it? They act as if they have blind folds on. Same goes with some local airlines in D.R that have N- Aircrafts but dont have them on there Certificate. Whats the point of trying to make money on Aviation if Aeronautica over there doesnt even play by the Rules.($$$)

Navus i fully understand your concern however everything is a process i think you will agree with me that the aviation industry in this country is 1000% better (safer) than it was 3 years ago when there were operators forging documents to prolong the life of their engines and landing gears and as a matter of fact people have lost their lives trying to combat the things that went on in the past. With this i'm not saying that everything is perfect here as far as operators flying with equipment not in their operations specifications and with N registered aircraft not on their certificate but i can guarantee you that aviation is alot safer with aircraft grounded because of overdue inspections and engines and yet their paperwork showed differently because some cuban who spoke and worte Russian altered records.

I firmly believe that those irregularities will be taken care of it just takes time and a lot has changed in the past 3 years, now i have a question and that is why does the FAA not act against the operators that fly N registered aircraft into the USA from the DR i mean they know all the aircraft that are here and the ones that are on certificate and the ones that are not.

One last thing the FAA comes to the DR and talks about illegal operations with private aircaft and yet 26% to 30% of the jets in South Florida operate some sort of commercial activity and yet they fail to see (look the other way) this problem in their own land.

NAVUS_16

Nov 6, 2007
I agree on you on a couple of things.

Yes, aviation in D.R has changed, but its still the same concept . What do you think? that those aircraft that just pop up here and do comercial flight with out C.A.A approval are in good conditions? Everything up to date? Pilots well Qualified? for gots sake. I heard the other day that some people from Haiti did a flight to Joaquin Bal. One of the (Main Wheel) not a tire, A WHEEL CRACKED while taxing with passengers. These people didnt have a spare tire in J.B They didnt even have a Jack to move the plane from the runway. The Mechanics didnt know what the hell they were doing. I was told that they even had to call on other companys and other mechanics to give them a hand on changing the wheel and if the could lend them a wheel. Im talking of one of the new POPUP Airlines that are representing the Dominican Aviation. Now on the matter of the Private jets doing comercial flights in South Florida, your right but not just south florida the whole world. Everywhere you see these type of problems but meassures are taken. I haven seen here not the minimun action taken. For Gods sake how can one make an example of things here when some of the members of the board have private planes and do comercial flights with them. Dont act surprised. ;)

People we all have to agree on something. We cant put at stake the lifes of the passengers fly here in D.R. I myself as a passenger dont fly much do to this situation. I take the Bus. :D

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Bussing

Not an entirely bad idea when traveling intra-island unless one KNOWS the aircraft and pilot and whom they represent.