Help with Planta Electrica

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
As the Canadian winter approches... we have our trips to the DR already planned, but there is a problem, not so much for me but my husband suffers from constant menopause while in the DR,,,we need to have a genarator for our apartment,, I basically need it to power an AC, few light bulbs and a frigde.

I need opinions....
1. How big should it be?
2. Just saw one at Plaza Lama on line "Planta ELectrica Youth M/YL2500 2KW
for RD$13,380...is it worth it?
3. Should I bring it down from Canada?

I need to get this solve fairly soon,,, if I can't get that energy 24/7 in the apartment he will end up renting a room somewhere.....!!!!!

CB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your NeighborsMay Not Like You,If You Put In A Generator!

"Bad Things" can happen to your apt. when you are in Canada if your neighbors don,t like you!!
You need a 6 or 7 kilo generator to run an airconditioner,plus a refrigerator,maybe more,depending on the size of both!
It should be diesel powered,for cost/use of fuel,and also for safety reasons. Where are you planning to install this generator? Who is going to haul the "Fuel" to keep it running? Gasoline powered generators are NOT for long term use,they are "Emergency" generators!
The good news is,that many areas of the DR now have power "ALMOST" 24/7. Come and see how your power is now. Alot of places have really changed in the last year! Hopefully your apt. is in an area where everyone now has "Meters",and pays their biils. If you are still on a circuit that has "Poor Barrios" on the same circuit,things may not be any better. "Good Luck"!!!
Cris Colon

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Way off

:ermm:
Thank you !!!!

I guess that PL one is out of the question,,,,, we are located behind Caribe Tours,,(Miraflores) we have electricity most of the time and there is an inversor downstairs with a set of batteries that just runs few light bulbs, TV and fridge. But you know,,, Murphy's Law,,, we go down there,,, and there goes the energy in the middle of the night!!!

Our fridge upstairs is just a little one, since we don't have much use for it,, cold beer/pop cans was the idea for that little kitchen and we do not have the AC unit yet,,,I am looking into that as well, since this will be our first trip staying at that little studio,,,but I want to make a good choice since it is going to be our residence for about 7 weeks during the Dec-March period.

I am planning to keep it in the terrace,,, I was thinking more on the lines of a portable gas generator,,,,but I have NO clue what they can power.

Thanks again

CB

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
:ermm:
Thank you !!!!

I guess that PL one is out of the question,,,,, we are located behind Caribe Tours,,(Miraflores) we have electricity most of the time and there is an inversor downstairs with a set of batteries that just runs few light bulbs, TV and fridge. But you know,,, Murphy's Law,,, we go down there,,, and there goes the energy in the middle of the night!!!

Our fridge upstairs is just a little one, since we don't have much use for it,, cold beer/pop cans was the idea for that little kitchen and we do not have the AC unit yet,,,I am looking into that as well, since this will be our first trip staying at that little studio,,,but I want to make a good choice since it is going to be our residence for about 7 weeks during the Dec-March period.

I am planning to keep it in the terrace,,, I was thinking more on the lines of a portable gas generator,,,,but I have NO clue what they can power.

Thanks again

CB

If you bring it from Canada you will have to take it to the cargo and there is an additional cost + cargo cost since it is considered as a dangerous/inflammable equipment. Been there done that.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How About That "POP" In That "Reefer"??

Honda makes "Super Silencioso" generators. But they are gasoline,very expensive,and you have to "schlep" those cans of gas up the stairs,and storage of "Gas" cans pose a fire danger!

I say; "Come On Down!! and do what you have to do when you analize the situation "on site"!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC