canadian dollars vs american dollars

ahardedge

Oct 29, 2007
Now That The Canadian Dollar Is Kickin The American Dollars Butt ......i Was Wondering Do The People Want To Be Paid In Canadian Dollars Or American

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
a friend of mine just got back from puerto plata and said that the staff at the resort preferred american dollars. though she said that they probably would have accepted it, when she left a CDN dollar tip with one of the restaurants, their waiter didnt know what currency it was. im heading out to PC on sunday and im taking US just because its more recognizable and also bc the exchange works to our advantage...finally!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
The CDN "loonie" and "twoonie" are not cashable in the DR so please do not leave them as tips. The smallest bill that we have is a $5. So unless you are a big tipper, use American $1 bills for tips.

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
grab those loonies and toonies off the table ...any Canadian should be happy to trade you for US dollars.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
all currencies can only be changed if they are paper money, doesn't matter US or CDN or Euro.
anyways bring US$, the Cdn is still changed less than a US$, doesn't matter how you change it at home.
Mike

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
grab those loonies and toonies off the table ...any Canadian should be happy to trade you for US dollars.

Not so fast swooperman it would need to be a favourable (buyer) rate like $1.15 CDN to the USD. We learn fast.

EDIT" OH I GET IT -- MAYBE WE DON'T LEARN THAT FAST . .

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Bring american dollars OR take your Canadian bank card to the ATM machine and withdraw money. American dollars are preferred here - they prefer this over Canadian, Euros and sterling. You will not get the most advantageous exchange rate here on anything but American.

This has been covered in other threads. If you want more info do a search.

ahardedge

Oct 29, 2007
Bring american dollars OR take your Canadian bank card to the ATM machine and withdraw money. American dollars are preferred here - they prefer this over Canadian, Euros and sterling. You will not get the most advantageous exchange rate here on anything but American.

i realize it has been covered in other threads...but the canadian dollar wasnt worth more than the american dollar at that time....but what ever...us dollars good for me i can buy more for less.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Search

Planner
Unless I am doing something wrong, I find the search function doesn't work well. This isn't rocket science as far as how difficult the task is. I was trying to find the thread about the cow being raped and typed in the search bar "cow raped". You would think it would be the first thing the search gives you but it was nowhere to be found. I would be surprised, if these 2 words have ever been side by side before, in the history of all DR1's archives.

This poster also has a point, that in the past, it's always been the American dollar being worth more but we all know, this is no longer true, so old searches wouldn't help much.
Steve

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
News to me on the search function - good to know.

As for the american vs canadian dollar, it has been discussed recently. The exchange rate for cdn dollars has gone up here in the country. BUT it will likely never reach the point where you will get its true value. BECAUSE they are not valued as highly here - trade is conducted in US dollars internationally. So that is what they want here.

I believe that underlying principal will always apply. Convert your Cdn to US and then come down. OR use your ATM card. The advice still applies if you want the most bang for your buck.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Thanks Mike ! Might be a slight advantage to bringing US $ as we are trading even this week in Canada. 1 to 1