Bringing Child to US

WBALKE

Jul 3, 2004
Good Morning,

My wife's sister recently migrated to the US. She was on the waiting list for a number of years. Shortly before (3 months) she came to the US she had a baby. She is here now and left the baby in the care of an aunt. We've been told that she will have to wait the normal waiting time (5 years) in order to bring the child to the US. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any help that you can offer will be much appreciated.

WBLAKE

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
She could have had the baby put on her case when she realized she was pregnant and brought the baby with her...

Can you help her by calling the Consulate yourself and explaining the situation? If it's an infant, they might not make her wait that long...

Just a suggestion...

MQ

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Children of Legal Residence.

In a past relationship I brought my wife's children to the US after she was already here (she had not told me of their existence before we had been married). It took over three years for me as a US citizen sponsoring them to get them here. If I had just been a resident or my wife had applied it would have taken several more years. That being said my first clue not to have done so (sponsor the children) should have been the fact that their existence had been kept from me prior to the marriage. But in wanting to do the right thing as a new husband and now step father, I took them into my home and heart only to be screwed almost as soon as I got them here. So as a piece of free advice I will tell you to be careful in what you commit to and be sure and protect yourself if you do decide to put your neck out and become any type of sponsor. JMHO.:chinese: