Boca Chica - Bayahibe

Frenki

Oct 31, 2007
What is the earliest in the morning I can get to Bayahibe from Boca Chica by local bus ?
I'm considering to take some diving trips from Bayahibe couse of better prices down there.

Thank you !

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
By "local bus" do you mean buses that Dominicans use between cities>?

If so, you could probably start at 5 a.m. or so....

However, I think it will be a stretch...those are NOT two very connected points. You'd be much better served to go diving closer to Boca Chica. By far.

Send a note (a PM) to "Matilda" here on DR1...she used to do a lot of diving and knows the ins and outs...

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
All dive schools in the area do excursions to Catalina island, leaving at 7am. It is two dives. The first is a wall - a 30 metre dive and the second a shallow dive called the aquarium. Usually around 70-90us$ plus dives. That covers transport, boat, food, soft drinks and rum or beer after you ave finished. There are many other sites in the Bayahibe area and some challenging.So your other option would be to go and stay there for a few days. Accommodation can be foundfor as little as 10us$ a night, and any of the dive schools will help you with this. The dives schools are in the village, away fm the all inclusives so you are best to contact them first. To get there it is bus to San Pedro, then change ffor La Romana, then change for Bayahibe. Journey time around 2-21/2 hours

Matilda

Frenki

Oct 31, 2007
Thanks !
I found one diving shop in Bayahibe that offers excursion trip to Catalina for 35$ so I just thought it would be the best to go there by local bus and do that trip with them rather then going with diving shop from Boca Chica for double price. It's not problem for me to wake up early in the morning to catch the first bus. So I would do some dives with diving shop from Bayahibe and some with diving shop from Boca Chica where I'm staying.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Boca Chica to La Romana shouldn't be a big problem early in the morning and I'm sure you can get from La Romana to Higuey with a local bus, I'm not so sure about the stretch from the turn off to Bayahibe and down to Bayahibe, that's 7 km. It takes me 1 hr 45 min from Boca Chica to Bayahibe with a car I wouldn't bet on public transport for a one day trip.

Frenki

Oct 31, 2007
So it's not valid what I read in lonely planet guidebook for La Romana: Gua-guas to Bayahibe (US$ 1.1, 30 minutes, every 20 minutes, 6am to 7pm) ?
probable too good to be truth :)

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Perhaps I don't see the guaguas when I'm there but I think most of those heading east from La Romana go to Higuey. If they drop you off at the turn off you're stuck there's nothing else than a gas station further up the road. And another thing, the 30 minutes can easily be an hour or more with a flat tire on the bus, tires explode.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
You can get the gua gua to Bayahibe and Dominicus from the area by the Jumbo in La Romana.

Info received from a friend in Bayahibe about departing from Bayahibe to La Romana. Apply the info in reverse to go from La Romana to Bayahibe:

1-"Gua gua" schedules are from 07:00am to 08:00am
2-The price from La Romana to Bayahibe/Dominicus are 45.00RD$ (One and half USD$)
per person.
3-The latest time to return is 08:00PM

Kaki