Sponsoring a Neice to Canada- HELP

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Hello,
My husband is a Permanent Resident of Canada been for 7months. And we both have decided that we want to sponsor his beautiful 9yr old neice to Canada and give her a better life and to raise her here with us.
She lives with my husbands mother now. Her mother cannot afford to raise her, nor grandma neither. Now her birth father was killed in POP when she was borned and the man she thought was her father for 8yrs was also killed in POP last year. We still need to confirm if she has a birth certificate or not but I've been reading the sponsorship papers and I dont understand how to sponsor a child to Canada. Her mother would gladly sign anything for us to raise her.

MY QUESTION IS...
Has anyone sponsored a child (neice/nefew) to Canada and was successful?
I was going to have my husband sponsor and myself be the co-signer.

Anyhow have any advice or help on this?
My main concern is that the fathers name will be on the birth certificate then we will need to provice a death certifcate which we all know this could be near impossible....

Thank you

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
That's a complicated one Corolla,

I'm sure you've read the website which says that nieces and nephews have to be orphans before a relative can sponsor them and if she has a living mother she's not an orphan even if the mother isn't providing for her.

Who can be sponsored

You can sponsor:
  • parents
  • grandparents
  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents and
  • accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).
Taken from Sponsoring your family: Eligible relatives - Who can apply

We'll wait and see if anyone else has ever sponsored any nieces or nephews to Canada.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com

I'm sure you've read the website which says that nieces and nephews have to be orphans before a relative can sponsor them and if she has a living mother she's not an orphan even if the mother isn't providing for her.

Who can be sponsored

You can sponsor:
  • parents
  • grandparents
  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents and
  • accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

We'll wait and see if anyone else has ever sponsored any nieces or nephews to Canada.

OH I completely by passed the words. "who are orphaned."
But even if the mother writes a letter stating she gives custody to Silvestre?
There has to be a way that we can sponsor her here when she has nothing there. No one is taking full responsibitly for this child, and Sil and I used to help provide for her. And want her here with us.
Thank you again for pointing that out. I hope someone will respond tthat they sponsored a child that is a neice or nefew. So i can find out a possible way to make this happen. Carla needs us and we want her..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps if the mother says that the child has always lived with your husband and supported her, backed up by school records...etc. Read Senor Guzmans articles on adoption and perhaps it will give you more of an idea what you are up against.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Perhaps if the mother says that the child has always lived with your husband and supported her, backed up by school records...etc. Read Senor Guzmans articles on adoption and perhaps it will give you more of an idea what you are up against.

Thank you.. I will look it up and read more about it, he and I decided we will take the next few months to just read and gather all info we need to make this happen. Even if we need to try to adopt her first then bring her here. I dont know how it works. But we know her mother would be grateful and happy that we want to raise her.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Who can be sponsored

You can sponsor:
  • parents
  • grandparents

The way the rule is written, maybe who are orphaned apply only to the granddaughters and grandsons ??

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Thank you.. I will look it up and read more about it, he and I decided we will take the next few months to just read and gather all info we need to make this happen. Even if we need to try to adopt her first then bring her here. I dont know how it works. But we know her mother would be grateful and happy that we want to raise her.

If you think about adopting her, read the rules that apply in Canada regarding international adoption.