::: New Pics of Las Americas :::

Emco

Jun 20, 2006
Can someone tell me what is this new area? I don't remember seeing this the last time (when the north terminal was openened) I was at Las Americas. Is some kind of parking lot, and doors near the South Terminal.

2045371588_0d8c09d5ce_b.jpg

2045368348_59eaed3f69_b.jpg

NAVUS_16

Nov 6, 2007
Nice Pics, All i know is that the Main runway is on maintenance (Thank GOD) and thats basically it. Im not sure if they are doing something else. They have the Taxiway as the runway for the moment. Then again they said the same with the RADAR. :p Hope the finish the Runway.

Nov 25, 2007
What i do know is that the Hazoury's may be selling their stake in Aerodom. Hopefully some American buys it and keeps the airport in good, long-term shape. I don't want to be subsidizing CapCana everytime I fly to AILA.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Curious

Since the Hazoury's own over 51% of the company I am told, how would a sale affect the 6 airports they run? And how do you know they are selling?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What i do know is that the Hazoury's may be selling their stake in Aerodom. Hopefully some American buys it and keeps the airport in good, long-term shape. I don't want to be subsidizing CapCana everytime I fly to AILA.

Looks like you are right! Good to see I was wrong, makes a change! hehehe

Aerodom selling concessions
The Dominican Airport Consortium (AERODOM) has begun negotiations to sell its concessions to operate the Las Americas, Puerto Plata, Samana and Barahona international airports. The concessions were awarded to them in 1999, for 20 years, which was then extended by five years in 2002, bringing the expiry date to 2019. The Hazoury Group said that negative projections for the international airline industry and the group's focus on other activities were their motives for selling the concessions.
Diario Libre also points to the recent announcement of having to revoke a US$500 million placement in bonds on international capital markets because of adverse conditions as one of the reasons behind the decision to sell the money-making concession.
Diario Libre writes that what had been considered good business has turned into bad business due in part to rising costs in the aviation industry in recent years and the increasing quality of other airports in the DR, which has affected Aerodom's airport business.

Nov 25, 2007
Why would I give misleading information!?

In any case, sounds like a bad move to me from the Hazoury's part. No matter how bad things get, people will still fly and AILA is still the main airport in DR with great hub potential (LatAm-DR-Europe) in the future. Sounds like they are precipitating a decision. I would have kept these airports.

However, we KNOW that they have gone MAD with CapCana. Most folks would say diversification is good... putting all the eggs into the CapCana basket sounds awfully risky. One nice storm and it can all go downhill for them.

Oh well, everyone has his or her own view.