Should I be worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luperon-al

Nov 20, 2007
Hi All,

I am a new memeber here, but i have been reading the forums for a couple of years, and have found a lot of helpful info, this is a great site.

I will coming to the Luperon (near Puerto Plata) in a couple of days, and have been reading up on some of the news posted on this site and others, and I am getting a little concerened about the spread of Leptospirosis.

I will not be staying at an all inclusive hotel; i will be staying in a rental room. I am not sure if my concern is justified; Luperon has had no flooding or any known cases, so my concern is about being in contact with contaminated food, mostly pork.

What do you guys think?

thanks,

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi All,

I am a new memeber here, but i have been reading the forums for a couple of years, and have found a lot of helpful info, this is a great site.

I will coming to the Luperon (near Puerto Plata) in a couple of days, and have been reading up on some of the news posted on this site and others, and I am getting a little concerened about the spread of Leptospirosis.

I will not be staying at an all inclusive hotel; i will be staying in a rental room. I am not sure if my concern is justified; Luperon has had no flooding or any known cases, so my concern is about being in contact with contaminated food, mostly pork.

What do you guys think?

thanks,
I'm not a doctor, but I can say that the area you are going to was unaffected by Noel, so there should be no more risk than any other time, and I have never even heard of the disease, let alone it happening around here.
But like I said, I'm not a doctor.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It is only related to the areas with substantial flooding and subsequent problems. Luperon is not part of that area.

Make sure to bring lots of good quality mosquitto repellant though.....

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Beware of Rats

The media are full with reports about this outbreak, during which around 300 people were infected and about 30 died (a total of 60 so far this year).
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

It's true that mainly areas in the south with poor living conditions and those which had been affected by flooding are hit worst but three deads were also reported in Santiago.

Janin

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Are you talking about getting leptospirosis from pigs being infected becoming cooked pork on your plate? Do some reading around how you get it.

Leptospirosis Information Center

The Governor of Puerto Plata said the other day that there have been no cases recorded in PP recently. In any event they are fumigating those areas which had flooding:
Contra la leptospirosis, Comando Juvenil con Miguel anuncia operativo fumigación

Assuming you don't have the predelictions to which tambo refers ;) swim only in the sea. According to this 'the risks in saltwater are virtually zero'.
Preventing human infection - an overview

Course, in certain parts of PP what you could pick up from the sea might be everything but leptospirosis but Luperon sea doesn't have the issues which PP Malecon has I understand.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Please read my CDC link, it can be contracted via urine from various animals through an open cut by walking through a contaminated puddle of rain.
(Probably not a bad idea to wear closed toe shoes if you are concerned)
tambo'

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Please read my CDC link, it can be contracted via urine from various animals through an open cut by walking through a contaminated puddle of rain.

tambo'

Exactly. Which is why the majority of sufferers in DR are of people helping evacuate those in flooded areas, day in day out, without protective clothing. Sad that those who spent days helping out should now go down with this.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Exactly. Which is why the majority of sufferers in DR are of people helping evacuate those in flooded areas, day in day out, without protective clothing. Sad that those who spent days helping out should now go down with this.
The ultimate karma malfunction. :( How do their loved ones make sense of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.