Travel to Haiti

concarne

Nov 24, 2007
Hello!

I know this is a DR forum but I am hoping that some of you may have some info re travel to Haiti:

1- By land: Terra Bus or Caribe tours?

2- Any recs for inexpensive accomodations in Port au Prince and Cap Haitien?

Greatly appreciated!:classic:

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Wow... good luck with that. Have you ever been there before? Me personally, I would be somewhat reluctant to venture over there. Better yet, let me honest... I would be scared sh#*@#ss to go over there. Im sure the the more knowledgeable members of this board will have some good info for you.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Hello!

I know this is a DR forum but I am hoping that some of you may have some info re travel to Haiti:

I suppose you do realize travelling in Haiti is not the same as in the DR and needs some preparation..
1 - buses, both companies go there, Caribe tours is fine and leaves from the main Caribetours station in Santo Domingo. All buses drop you off in Petionville just outside Port-au-Prince. I read somewhere on DR1 that there is now also a bus from Santiago to Cap Haitien, do a search for that.
2- Haiti has cheap accommodation, but for all sorts of reasons it's best not to pick those. Because hotels still mostly cater to aid workers and diplomats and such Haiti isn't the best price-quality wise for accommodation. But still, for about $80 dollars a night you can have nice room in the Mont Joli or Roi Christophe in Cap Haitien, or the Kinam in Petionville. For safety best not stay in Port-au-Prince proper but in Petionville. The Oloffson has great character, but is in downtown Port-au-Prince, but on thursday night there is a concert in the hotel, so no need to venture outside at night.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello!

Yep!
Cheapest way will be to kidnap yourself first and then request ransom money from your family or next of kin. As soon as you get the money sent, then you proceed to shoot yourself keenly in between the eyes...

Are you nuts????
Don't even consider traveling to Haiti unless you have an actual Haitian you could trust 100% travel with you there.

What am I saying?!?:cheeky:

Yes! Go, go, GO to Haiti and have fun just like in the DR, maybe even more!!!

concarne

Nov 24, 2007
Yikes fellows....thanks for the concern, greatly appreciated for sure!

I am still thinking about it...we will see. I will be sure to post comments on my return if I make it there.

Otherwise I will just hang in the DR...fun for sure.

Thanks!

PS: I still would like to hear of specific recs for inexpensive accomodations if anyone has them. TIA

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
As a follow up of this thread, let me inform you that I'll be on the Caribe Tours from Sto Dgo to P.au P. on dec.11th.
Then I'll go to Jacmel (always wanted to know the south coast...)

(disclaimer: It's been a decade that I vacation in the Haitian north-coast, so I am used to the mess...)

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
As a follow up of this thread, let me inform you that I'll be on the Caribe Tours from Sto Dgo to P.au P. on dec.11th.
Then I'll go to Jacmel (always wanted to know the south coast...)

(disclaimer: It's been a decade that I vacation in the Haitian north-coast, so I am used to the mess...)

just a question...are items in Haiti cheaper,ie tv,electronics...and can you get them back here with no problem???
bob

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Concarne, don't listen to all the scaremongering you read.. You will not get kidnapped in Haiti, if you stay out of downtown POrt-au-Prince without guide... on the other hand, Haiti is a country you still need to go with some contacts, or at least preparation, knowledge of French and travel experience.. It is not a place to go looking for budget accommodation.. if you really want to know, in Petionville there also is the Doux Sejour for $60, but really not worth that price, take the Kinam. But Haiti is not cheap for tourists, and if a cheap nice easy backpacking type holiday is what you're after, go elsewhere...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
...there also is the Doux Sejour for $60, but really not worth that price, take the Kinam....
I was actually going to book at the Doux S?jour.
-How much is a single room at the Kinam ?

My plan is to sleep at P?tionville after the Caribe Tours ride from Sto Dgo, and ton head to Jacmel the morning after, with a tap-tap.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I was actually going to book at the Doux S?jour.
-How much is a single room at the Kinam ?

If I remember correctly about $85, but it really is a lot nicer. Clean nice rooms, airco, etc. Well, there are those 'special' experiences like a rat running through the classy restaurant from under the tablecloth of your beautifully dressed table... but I heard that happens even at the US$250 five star luxury hotels of Petionville...
The Kinam is a walk of a couple of blocks uphill from the Caribetours station.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
The Kinam is a walk of a couple of blocks uphill from the Caribetours station.
That's a big plus, as I am looking to relax after the bus ride. Walking from the Caribe Tours station to the Kinam seems an easy idea...
-Do I need to book a room, or can I just show up ?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
That's a big plus, as I am looking to relax after the bus ride. Walking from the Caribe Tours station to the Kinam seems an easy idea...
-Do I need to book a room, or can I just show up ?
I really don't know whether it's necessary, maybe when there's a gathering of international ngo's or something the hotels might be fully booked. I suppose it won't hurt to book, but then, bookings can dissapear in Haiti, e-mails can take a long time to be answered, and telephone lines can be out of order.... Eventually kinamhotel@yahoo.com worked for me.

Frenki

Oct 31, 2007
anybody know if there are some guided tours to Haiti from Santo Domingo, starting very early in the morning and coming back the same day ? What agency and price ? thanks !!

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
anybody know if there are some guided tours to Haiti from Santo Domingo, starting very early in the morning and coming back the same day ? What agency and price ? thanks !!

Santo Domingo and Haiti are not that close! You could just about get to the boarder, turn around and get back to Santo Domingo in a day.

Frenki

Oct 31, 2007
I think it would be enough time for one day trip if excursion starts at let's say 2 am (for instance in Egypt are almost all bus-tours nightly tours)

portauprince

Aug 23, 2007
I plan to be in Haiti for ~10 days in the last 2 weeks of December.

I probably won't be in Port au Prince very long--unless, I can tag along w/ peacekeeping units. ggrande, you have to help me here! My friend speaks Arabic so we can talk to the large contingent of Jordanian peacekeepers. Can we kiss enough ass to be allowed to follow a foot patrol through Cite Soleil? Can you recommend to me how I can develop MINUSTAH contacts?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I probably won't be in Port au Prince very long--unless, I can tag along w/ peacekeeping units. ggrande, you have to help me here! My friend speaks Arabic so we can talk to the large contingent of Jordanian peacekeepers. Can we kiss enough ass to be allowed to follow a foot patrol through Cite Soleil? Can you recommend to me how I can develop MINUSTAH contacts?
Well, yes I could, but what is the purpose of your visit? UN soldiers are no tourist guides you know...
Cit? Soleil is in the zone of the Brailian peacekeepers by the way, and as far as I know most of the patrols there are still in armoured tanks...