Does anyone have a "contact" at American Airlines?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I just came across one of the ludicrous things about air travel...

When trying to book a POP-MIA flight on AA.com I get a fare of $850+, when I put in POP-JFK and select the itinerary that includes the exact same POP-MIA connections, the fare is $608. So it's approximately $250 *less* to travel to NY than Miami, even though one of the legs to JFK is the entire POP-MIA itinerary. Both flights (POP-MIA and MIA-POP) are about half empty...

Something is NOT right!! If I wasn't checking bags, and if not for all the post 9/11 so-called security enhancements, I would book the POP-JFK and just use the MIA flights...

Can anyone help out here???

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
Pop - Mia

The regular price for POP - MIA is $165 plus tax or $230. Your date may be sold out.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The regular price for POP - MIA is $165 plus tax or $230. Your date may be sold out.

I have taken this same itinerary about 30 times in the last few years and paid anywhere from about $320 r/t to about $600 r/t.

As I stated in my earlier post, both inbound and outbound flights are about half-full, I checked online...and even if they were full, why would the price be cheaper when continuing to JFK on another plane, after taking the same POP-MIA flight?

another option

Cheap Flights with Flight Network - Affordable Airline Tickets and Cheap Flights online

Departing Flight Information - Dec 03 2007
American Airlines Flight 5093
Departs: 2007/12/03 at 1543 Puerto Plata, , Dominican Republic
Arrives: 2007/12/03 at 1715
San Juan, Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, Puerto Rico
American Airlines
Flight 1952 Departs: 2007/12/03 at 2055
San Juan, Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, Puerto Rico Arrives: 2007/12/03 at 2235
Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport, USA
Returning Flight Information - Dec 10 2007
American Airlines
Flight 2369 Departs: 2007/12/10 at 0640
Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport, USA Arrives: 2007/12/10 at 1000
San Juan, Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, Puerto Rico
American Airlines
Flight 5092 Departs: 2007/12/10 at 1340
San Juan, Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, Puerto Rico Arrives: 2007/12/10 at 1513 Puerto Plata, , Dominican Republic
Ticket Price

Adult Fare: 1x$402.00
Adult Taxes & Surcharges: 1x$210.90

Total: $612.90 (CAD)

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
pop-mia

leave POP Dec 5th direct to Miami and return direct to POP Dec. 10th $568 CDN

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
THanks for your help guys..I know there are options...as I said I fly this route all the time, but I need to fly specific dates...and my question wasnt about the price, it was asking why it is $250 cheaper if I flew the same planes to and from Miami, but then took another plane all the way to and from NYC...

I was thinking of booking the POP-JFK itinerary and just using the POP-MIA leg...just worried that there'd be a problem with Homeland Security when I try to check in in Miami after not being on the JFK to MIA leg...

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
DZ,
Sometimes when you cancel one part of your itenerary the rest is cancelled also. which means your POP/JFK/POP leg may be gone, as is your cheaper fare from MIA/POP.
The fare is cheaper to JFK because of the competitive routes - right now there is nobody else flying MIA/POP, so.....they take your money....it's a business decision....just make your company give you a travel allowance for home visits to FLL or S.Fla.; they can afford it!

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DZ,
Sometimes when you cancel one part of your itenerary the rest is cancelled also. which means your POP/JFK/POP leg may be gone, as is your cheaper fare from MIA/POP.
The fare is cheaper to JFK because of the competitive routes - right now there is nobody else flying MIA/POP, so.....they take your money....it's a business decision....just make your company give you a travel allowance for home visits to FLL or S.Fla.; they can afford it!
Would he have to cancel it?
Can he just not show?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The OP was talking about not showing up to the first leg of a two leg flight.
He was thinking of buying POP-MIA-JFK, and flying POP-MIA, and then MIA-POP. By not checking in at JFK on the return, his passage from MIA-POP is cancelled and also triggers all kinds of TSA bells.

It was a good idea in theory.

tambo' the aviator

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I think he was talking about not showing up on the SECOND leg, MIA/JFK. Would still normally canx the rest of his itenarary if the rules are still the same as before. If not total cancellation, a penalty (heavy) would likely apply, not just the normal $100. It's more of a question for a reservations agent or ticketing agent or such..........or an airline check-in person. I'm guessing from ions .. ago when trekking about. Things change rapidly on this kind of stuff all the time, and not my baliwick.(sp?)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
tflea and tambo... you guys get it... I mean...you guys get me ya know...sniff sniff...

But seriously..I can think of many logical reasons why I might miss the MIA-JFK leg and find my own way there..then miss my JFK-MIA flight, etc... but I guess it's not worth the risk.

At the end of the day, I understand the business reasons for the two prices, supply and demand, competition, etc..and would be fine if they were different flights/routes, etc...but when it uses the same flights...eesh! I just dont get it....

Sep 19, 2005
If they actually unboard the plane in Mia, i dont see why he cant leave if he has his carry ons. Checked bags whole new issues.

the kicker is he has a return ticket for JFK-Mia-POP ...but he wouldnt BE IN NY to get his boarding pass!!! and would MISS his flight all together.

I dont think they would let him on the plane in Mia with a ticket that takes off from JFK!!!!!......and he wasnt on the plane from there.

as well have seen many times over they play games with you and charge you an arm and a leg every time they can...and they only give cheap fares when they have to!!

if it was one way and he had checked bags , he could faine being sick at MIA and possibly get his bags .

they can do what every they want at times.. have been on a plane where someone who checked in and had bags checked didnt get on the plane....so after sitting for 30 minutes waiting for him, they unloaded his bags.

only to have him show up and then they delayed us till they put his bags back on the plane!

seems they would have told him to take the next flight.( at that time they were sending planes to STI at 6 am 7 am 9 am 12 noon as well as 5:45 pm every day!!!! direct!)

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
POP-MIA-JFK would not be a problem at all. You have to deplane, claim your bags, clear customs and immigration. So DZ could just go home. The return leg would be impossible to board in MIA since he never checked in @ JFK. Thanks for your thoughts Bad Bob!

tambo'

Sep 19, 2005
tambo when ever you agree with me you are right!

oh and...hows the life buddy.

Tavina finally complained about the Sosua nightlife.....I guess she was biting her lip all these trips!! ha ha ha

hope you had fun

bad and bald... bob

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Air Travel

There are few tricks that work any more with any airline. There is no reasoning for pricing Airfares any longer. It is all supply and demand. You can fly MIA-LAX cheaper than MIA-Ft Myers, most times. Regarding the example of POP /Mia/NY if you get off at MIA, and not call and cancel, the next leg of your ticket. You will be a no-show and the entire reservation will be canceled (including the return). If you can convince a Travel agent or AA CS agent to cancel the first portion of your return NY/POP flight, that is NY-MIA segment. You may be in business. But be careful, as said earlier TSA/Security may looking into this activity. Airline computers are almost fool-proof, today. ;)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Guess what...there's a new twist... if I book the same POP-MIA itinerary (same days, same flights) as two one ways instead of one round trip it's...drum roll please... almost $200 cheaper!!

What will they think of next?????

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Guess what...there's a new twist... if I book the same POP-MIA itinerary (same days, same flights) as two one ways instead of one round trip it's...drum roll please... almost $200 cheaper!!

Ya gotta look at the prices of JBLU JFK-POP....$85 +TAX each way.
I may have to come down for The first annual Ground Hog's Day party in Charamicos!

tambo'

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

That's really insane.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
It *is* insane..and doesn't make any sense...business or otherwise. I think it's great that Jetblue is starting nonstop JFK-POP...at great times, and for a reasonable price. I truly hope they do so well that they decide to run FLL (or MIA)-POP...someone has to provide competition for AA on this route...they just do whatever they want to do...