The Mirabal Sisters

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
30 years ago yesterday 11/25/60 the Mirabal sisters were murdered. Lets learn not to forget.

ON this day in 1960, three sisters were brutally murdered for opposing the dictatorship of General Rafael Leonidas Trujillo who had ruled the Dominican Republic for 31 years.

Trujillo?s agents murdered the three Mirabel sisters, Minerva, Paria and Maria Teresa, on a lonely road near Puerto Plata. Their deaths were officially recorded as accidents.

Violent world for women

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Patria, Minerva, and Mar?a Teresa Mirabal
Nico.%20Rep%FAblica%20Dominicana.%20hermanas%20Mirabal.jpg

B?lgica Mirabal (the one that remain in Salcedo and the only Mirabal sister alive today)
b_37_las_mariposas_eroine.jpg

-NALs

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
ON this day in 1960, three sisters were brutally murdered for opposing the dictatorship of General Rafael Leonidas Trujillo who had ruled the Dominican Republic for 31 years.

the 31 years refers to Trujillo.

Lina

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
30 years ago yesterday 11/25/60 the Mirabal sisters were murdered. Lets learn not to forget.

They will be forever in our hearts.

On July of this year I had the great honor of sitting down with Ded? Mirabal, the surviving sister, at her home in Salcedo. We talked and talked. She is beautiful, strong, clever. I had the opportunity to ask her a question that had been nagging at me for years: "Did any member of the Trujillo family ever said 'I am sorry' to you?" She responded: "no".

The province of Salcedo has been renamed. It is now Provincia Hermanas Mirabal.

Norma

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
no memory for 1937

Everybody commemorates Mirabal Sisters, victims of Trujillo. Why? because they were " blanquitas" perhaps? What about the tens of thousands of ethnic Haitians that were massacred in 1937? :mad: No monument, or no museum to remember these innocent victims of that animal, Trujillo, too?:tired:

What about turning Edwige Dandicat's book " The Farming of Bones" into a movie too?

Sep 20, 2003
Not directed at any poster in particular...

The Haitians were victims of Trujillo If one takes the time to read the statements from both Haitians and Dominicans who were there, the Dominican people did not support what Trujillo did. Even the Dominican army suffered mutinies and many soldiers were shot dead by there officers and NCO's for refusing to murder Haitians. Many Haitians escaped because Dominicans helped them to escape. Entire Dominican army units decided, on the spot, as a unit, to help Haitians escape. Haitian refugees remember groups of Dominican soldiers directing them down certain roads and helping them to avoid checkpoints manned by soldiers they(the Dominicans) didn't know.There were also many Domincan farmers who helped Haitians escape. I hope this is not a demand for an apology from the Domincan people to the Haitians, because I don't think it would be appropriate or fair to blame the Dominican people. The Cardinal was right, Trujillo should be held responsible, no apology from the Dominican people. And I don't agree with Bernardo Vega that the Haitians should reciprocate and apologize for mass killings carried out some 200 years ago. Some things should be left to history books.

Besides, there are many Haitian families that don't want to discuss the pay offs their parents and grandparents received from Trujillo to look the other way...

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Joel can you expand with info for the following.
I read there was a compensation that Trujillo paid for the Haitian massacre. There was pressure from foreign governments for him to do this. How was this money distributed if at all?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Everybody commemorates Mirabal Sisters, victims of Trujillo. Why? because they were " blanquitas" perhaps? What about the tens of thousands of ethnic Haitians that were massacred in 1937? :mad: No monument, or no museum to remember these innocent victims of that animal, Trujillo, too?:tired:

What about turning Edwige Dandicat's book " The Farming of Bones" into a movie too?

I would commemorate the life of anyone who risked their life for the good of a country regardless of the color of their skin. Btw a monument would be an excellent memorial for the dead Haitian's.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I would commemorate the life of anyone who risked their life for the good of a country regardless of the color of their skin. Btw a monument would be an excellent memorial for the dead Haitian's.
Hm, why did I had the feeling this discussion was going to turn to skin color and race?

The things we can discuss without this issue popping up is becoming smaller and smaller.

BTW, when will there be a monument built in memory of the Dominicans that were massacred during the Haitian invasions?

Will Haiti build a monument in their own country to commemorate the Haitian massacre created by Trujillo?

Will Haiti build a monument to commemorate the Jeremie Massacres of 1964 by Duvalier? Or maybe for all the unknown people who were victims of the Ton Ton Macoutes?

These are just a few rhetorical questions of many, so lets not hijack this thread.

-NALs

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Hey NALs why pick on me about the color thing, it was Asopao who brought it up:paranoid:?????

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
The Haitians were victims of Trujillo If one takes the time to read the statements from both Haitians and Dominicans who were there, the Dominican people did not support what Trujillo did. Even the Dominican army suffered mutinies and many soldiers were shot dead by there officers and NCO's for refusing to murder Haitians. Many Haitians escaped because Dominicans helped them to escape. Entire Dominican army units decided, on the spot, as a unit, to help Haitians escape. Haitian refugees remember groups of Dominican soldiers directing them down certain roads and helping them to avoid checkpoints manned by soldiers they(the Dominicans) didn't know.There were also many Domincan farmers who helped Haitians escape.

I know about this, man. My step-grandfather was a young soldier in that year. He went to some beehive and destroyed it on purpose, and got stung by the bees really bad, got so swollen up and with fever, so he didn't have to go to kill Haitians, while his fellow soldiers were enthusiastic (evil bastards), to kill them. It was something fun for them. I don't know if my step-grandfather got to kill any before got himself sick to avoid doing atrocities underpressure. They did were threatening the soldiers that " chickened out". He really never talked about 1937.

I hope this is not a demand for an apology from the Domincan people to the Haitians, because I don't think it would be appropriate or fair to blame the Dominican people. The Cardinal was right, Trujillo should be held responsible, no apology from the Dominican people. And I don't agree with Bernardo Vega that the Haitians should reciprocate and apologize for mass killings carried out some 200 years ago. Some things should be left to history books.

Dude, don't get me wrong. The Mirabal Sisters were heroic, and they deserve the province named after them and all the other honors. But 1937 was such an event that deserves at least a monument. Not only for the memory of all those perished, but to honor the heroic Dominicans that risked their lives to save the lives of others.

I'm sorry, but Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez is a piece of feces. He represents the conservative( read " racist" and negrophobic) , ultra-right wing elites. A colllaborator of Balaguer's brainwashing of the masses. The same way the Catholic Church gave a blind eye to the Massacre back then. This is the same " man of God" that have done hate speech and diatrabes against homosexuals, he said that " homosexuals need to get kicked out of the colonial zone". What else do you expect from this beast?

He is wrong and the government should give an apology, not because of the atrocity itself, since that was Trujillo, but for ignoring it all these years. 70 years now ! for not building not even a tiny monument.:mad:

Besides, there are many Haitian families that don't want to discuss the pay offs their parents and grandparents received from Trujillo to look the other way...

Are you kidding, what? two pennies? That doesn't even come to the case. This was something happened in Dominican territory and the animals that did the atrocities never got punished.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Hm, why did I had the feeling this discussion was going to turn to skin color and race?

Because that's the sad reality of DR, tiguere. If the sisters were " prietas" with " pelo malo", i bet you you wouldn't even hear about them.

The things we can discuss without this issue popping up is becoming smaller and smaller.

BTW, when will there be a monument built in memory of the Dominicans that were massacred during the Haitian invasions?

Montro, you still keep mixing apples and oranges when it comes to history. If you talking about Dessalines, there wasn't even Dominicans back then ! :tired: DR wasn't a State yet. The " Spanish-speaking Eastern Hispaniolans", what racist hispanophiles want to call " Dominicans" before 1844 to encite nationalism for their advantage, many were collaborating with Ferrand, in making incursions into Haiti to " kidnap children and sell them into slavery". You tell me, why I didn't see that written down on my history book when i was a kid??

Why you haven't wondered, why the pre-1844 " Dominicans", who were in the majority people of color, before 1822,didn't grow the balls to abolished slavery like the Haitians did in their country?

If you build a score board on the bad and good that Haiti has done towards DR, It comes out " even" with DR before 1937. Example:

Abolition of slavery.

logistical help in the Anexation War, when racist Spanish soldiers were telling dark Dominicans: " if you were in Cuba or Puerto Rico,you would have been a slave". :mad:

So, do the math montro, find some " balance",and not all that Balaguerista brainwashing bull**** ! :tired:

Will Haiti build a monument in their own country to commemorate the Haitian massacre created by Trujillo?

Will Haiti build a monument to commemorate the Jeremie Massacres of 1964 by Duvalier? Or maybe for all the unknown people who were victims of the Ton Ton Macoutes?

These are just a few rhetorical questions of many, so lets not hijack this thread.

Not wanting the hijack the thread, just the indiference of the actual government towards other victims of Trujillo. Haiti can do whatever they want, this is DR. Fernandez and his party are keeping the " lavasaco" attitude of the conservative ultra-right wing elites.