Help with Cell Service in Bavaro/DR

Stanza Mare

Jun 6, 2007
Hello !
I need help
I really need to sort this out. There seems to be a lot of opinions as to what to do. I would appreciate a simple solution that I do not have to jump thru hoops to accomplish.
I am a US citizen and will be traveling back and forth from the US to Bavaro over the next couple of years and need help on the best way for me to stay in touch or vice versa with my home and office in the US?

1. Is it best to establish a DR based service(Orange etc) and buy a phone in the DR ?
2. What would be the best carrier?
3. Typical Rates to US from the DR?
4. Typical Rates to DR from the US?
5. Rates for calls within the DR?

Thank You !!!;)

drtraveler2007

Nov 25, 2007
Service

1. Is it best to establish a DR based service(Orange etc) and buy a phone in the DR ?

Depends on your frequency of travel. I would suggest to try this company Driven Dominican Republic- Airport Transfers - Phone Rentals - Calling Cards - Home, they offer a phone rental service for US/$15/week, it may work out for you depending on how long you stay, read what they offer. It's very flexible, all secure.

Another option would be to buy a calling card, they also offer these services.

How long/HOw often do you go to DR?

2. What would be the best carrier?
Claro/Codetel they provide best coverage and reliability.

3. Typical Rates to US from the DR?
Depends if you use Skype for example is .12cent/min US.

4. Typical Rates to DR from the US?

US$0.15 cents/min - US$0.21 cents/min
Free incoming calls.
5. Rates for calls within the DR?
Usually about US$.10-.15 USD depends on carrier billed by seconds.
DR incoming calls are free

Thank You !!![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
When in the DR, calls from cellphones to the USA are billed as local calls, with the exception they are billed by minute and then by second. Local calls are billed by second from the start.

If you will be making a lot of calling, and be in the DR frequently, I suggest
Orange Flex plan and/or Claro Control.

These are basically prepaid minutes plans you pay monthly a cretain fee and you get a package of minutes. You can use the minutes for local and international calling. Incoming calls are free. The advantage, compared to regular pay-as-you-go account is that minutes are 20-80% cheaper with prepaid plan than with PAYG (depending on the plan you choose... When you use up your minutes, you top-up with a prepaid card sold everywhere..the good thing is, you keep calling at the same low per-minute rates as in your plan.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..............If you will be making a lot of calling, and be in the DR frequently, I suggest Orange Flex plan.................

Thanks for the info, what would a basic plan cost per month and how many minutes come with the plan.

Feb 7, 2007
Orange Flex - in USD, final price with taxes

MINUTES (1) - COST PER MONTH (2) - ADDITITIONAL NATIONAL MINUTES (3) -ADDIT.ORANGE MINUTES (4) - ADDIT.NIGHT MINUTES (5) -ADDIT.WEEKENED MINUTES (ORANGE ONLY) (6)

-----1------2-----3------4------5-----6---
75 mins - 14.40 - 0.20 - 0.16 - 0.13 - 0.04
150 mins- 22.84 - 0.18 - 0.14 - 0.11 - 0.04
300 mins- 37.80 - 0.14 - 0.10 - 0.08 - 0.04

The nice thing is Orange to Orange calling on weekends for just 1 peso on all Flex plans - you don't get that with Pay as you go.

Additional Orange Flex plans:
Orange Dominicana click on Tarifas

Claro Control - in USD, final price with taxes

MINUTES (1) - COST PER MONTH (2) - ADDITITIONAL NATIONAL MINUTES (3) -ADDIT.CLARO/CODETEL MINUTES (4) - ADDIT.NIGHT AND WEEKEND MINUTES (CLARO/CODETEL ONLY) (5)

60 mins - 10.17 - 0.19 - 0.14 - 0.04
110 mins- 15.93 - 0.15 - 0.11 - 0.04
175 mins- 22.45 - 0.14 - 0.09 - 0.04
340 mins- 37.81 - 0.12 - 0.08 - 0.04

The nice thing is Claro to Claro/Codetel calling on nights and weekends for just 1 peso on all Control plans - you don't get that with Pay as you go.

Additional Claro Control plans:

Claro que tienes m?s

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
What about centennial signal reliability?????????????????????????????????

I am not asking about cost i have already a very good plan from centennial Puerto rico and i can also add the dominican republic so roaming will not cost me?????