Hookworm - a couple of Qs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think my son has hookworm. He has a couple of dry pink patches on one arm, although he says they're not itchy.

What is hookworm commonly known as in the DR?

How serious is it - should we just get something from the pharmacy or see the paediatrician or a dermatologist?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i called minovio in farmacia and the pills to take are: ALBENDAZOL or SECNIDAZOL.
it's a few day treatment on both of them.
i hope it helps...

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I would be concerned as to the side effects if you are not sure thats what he has. See a doctor before taking those tablets. At least ask the folks at the farmacia first. Good luck.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks dv8, and Phil&Gerry - that advice sounds like the best way to go about it.

Anyone know the common name in Spanish? The dictionary says anquilostoma which is the medical word, or lombriz intestinal which is not specific enough. There must be a popular name that Dominicans know it by.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that is the case - our on-site pharmacist could not remember the name but he knows medicine to treat it. as far as i know wikipedia also recommends albendazole.

the test for the worm is done based on stool sample, i have lots of experience with parasitos and stool samples, trust me on that, some diagnosis will need samples from three consecutive days.

best ask pharmacist if those pills are safe to take as "just in case" medicine. i take deparasiting/deworming pills often and they seem to have no side effects (and no real effect either to be honest).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks dv8, and Phil&Gerry - that advice sounds like the best way to go about it.

Anyone know the common name in Spanish? The dictionary says anquilostoma which is the medical word, or lombriz intestinal which is not specific enough. There must be a popular name that Dominicans know it by.
Lombrizes.

If he walks bare foot at home or anywhere, then its probably hookworm since they enter the body through the tiny pores in the feet. Should never walk bare foot at any time in places with warm humid climates for this very same reason.

-NALs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He never walks barefoot, apart from sometimes at home, only at the pool or at the beach, which is not that often. Funny thing is that I 'wormed' him a couple of weeks ago.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think my son has hookworm. He has a couple of dry pink patches on one arm, although he says they're not itchy.
According to this website,
https://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec17/ch196/ch196i.html
However at the start of infection, an itchy, red, raised rash (ground itch) may develop where the larvae penetrate the skin.
So it wouldn't be from walking barefoot.
As mentioned by other posters, this is not something to fool with and has to be properly diagnosed through a stool sample test.
I suspect it is NOT hookworm, if the rash on his arm is the only reason you think he has it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I hope it is something else - it could be the water we wash with which has been heavily chlorinated since Noel. We'll see what the chemist says, and if s/he isn't sure we'll go the lab/doctor route.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002

I have been informed the name for ringworm is lombrices. Yet, be mindful the it could be a universal name the locals use for all worm related illnesses

If you are in Santo Domingo, if you desire, you can visit the INSTITUTO DERMATOLOGICO at Federico Vel?zquez at corner of Albert Thomas. You can have a consult, treatment, and there is an on site pharmacy. Note: it can be crowded some days, best to arrive early and take a number. Great healthcare at an affordable cost.

Regards,.
PJT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have been informed the name for ringworm is lombrices. Yet, be mindful the it could be a universal name the locals use for all worm related illnesses

If you are in Santo Domingo, if you desire, you can visit the INSTITUTO DERMATOLOGICO at Federico Vel?zquez at corner of Albert Thomas. You can have a consult, treatment, and there is an on site pharmacy. Note: it can be crowded some days, best to arrive early and take a number. Great healthcare at an affordable cost.

Regards,.
PJT
Thanks PJT - in which neighbourhood?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Ringworm is not actually a worm, it's a fungus. Locals would refer to it as "hongos de piel", which you would use a fungicide to remove. Those tend to appear on the feet or groin, Hookworm is completely different. Pharmacists, although well educated (I work with a bunch) aren't physicians, see a physician, don't leave out any details, hopefully he'll figure it out. But it's never a good idea to autodiagnose ailments - unless you are a physician of course.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ringworm is not actually a worm, it's a fungus. Locals would refer to it as "hongos de piel", which you would use a fungicide to remove. Those tend to appear on the feet or groin, Hookworm is completely different. Pharmacists, although well educated (I work with a bunch) aren't physicians, see a physician, don't leave out any details, hopefully he'll figure it out. But it's never a good idea to autodiagnose ailments - unless you are a physician of course.
I think that PJT mistook Chiri's queries about hookworm, for ringworm.
Certainly no similarities between those two and a Derm hospital would not be the place to go for hookworm.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Those of us who have lived here a while autodiagnose all the time, basically to help some of the doctors out ;).

If you think it's fungal apply a shampoo like Selsun Blue - paint it on and leave overnight. Could be pityriasis rosea - take a look at pics here:
Pityriasis Rosea-Topic Overview

I won't suggest he might have picked up something at school because if he reads this, being the smart child that he is, he might use it as an excuse for isolation...........;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chemist said it looked more like an allergic rash and sold us a cream, saying that we should only consult a doctor if it didn't clear up in a few days.

Meanwhile the poor kid twisted his ankle this afternoon (he's not usually that accident prone) and Mr C is back at the chemist buying elastic bandage and bengay.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chemist said it looked more like an allergic rash and sold us a cream, saying that we should only consult a doctor if it didn't clear up in a few days.

Meanwhile the poor kid twisted his ankle this afternoon (he's not usually that accident prone) and Mr C is back at the chemist buying elastic bandage and bengay.
Geez.
Hope he gets better quick.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Thanks PJT - in which neighbourhood?

The institute looks as though it is sandwiched between the barrios "Mejoramiento Social" and "Villa Fontana". The neighborhoods are situated just west of the Ozama river and north of Duarte Bridge/Av 27. The street "Albert Thomas" can be accessed from the "Expresso V Centenario".

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chiri: NO Bengay! Ice it today. Get some Diclophenol, one tonight one tomorrow night.

Tomorrow hot towels maybe three times...I mean as hot as he can bear, maybe a bit more.

Then he'll be fine.

We treat these things all the time in Judo and the routine was prescribed by orthopedists around the globe: Day one= ice; days two and three heat.

HB