Exchanging USD to Peso

Stanza Mare

Jun 6, 2007
I was wondering if anyone has info on exchanging USD to Peso in the Bavaro area.
-What are the local banks currently giving on exchange for 1 USD?
-Is this the best route for exchange or should I exchange $$ in the US before coming down?

I am new to all this so please be patient.

Thank You

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
The oficial rate is 33.35 in the bank, I will advise you to bring your money in dollars and them exchange here, do not exchange your money at the airport they will give you about 2 to 3 pesos less for your dollar.

Feb 7, 2007
Caribe Express at Plaza Bavaro, and Vimenca at Friusa, will give you better exchange rates than banks, and better than most of exchange houses as well (especially Caribe Express). You can also go to Banco Caribe at Friusa (in one of those Plazas, just across from Progreso) - they are same as Caribe Express.

Do not change in hotels, as they offer exchnage rates 2-5 pesos less than official rate. Euros rate is even worse in the hotels.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
USD Excahnge in the DR

Please see the DR1 thread regarding Excahnge Rates. Do not ever change Dollars/Euros on the street corner with an individual who is offering a rate "too good to be true". They are scam artist and will screw you. The best rates vary slightly, example one change house give you 33.45 the other 33.40. Only if you are changing large amounts (>$1000), will it affect you. Lots of luck. ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you pay in USD you will be overcharged. Watch out for anyone quoting prices in USD.

Most reputable tour agencies quote and transact in USD. Ask Planner for verification. If you are buying a Velvet Elvis painting or Haitian mask, then RD Pesos are the preferred currency. You will only be overcharged if you are a poor negotiator or an abusive short gringo.

t'

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Most reputable tour agencies quote and transact in USD. Ask Planner for verification. If you are buying a Velvet Elvis painting or Haitian mask, then RD Pesos are the preferred currency. You will only be overcharged if you are a poor negotiator or an abusive short gringo.

t'

The topic starter asked about exchanging currency and another poster said to use USD as it is accepted everyone. I said you will be ripped off if you pay in USD as most anyone you pay in USD in the DR will give you an unfavorable exchange compared to if you simply paid in pesos.

Theres no mention of tour agencies except by yourself. Keep the negative reputation points coming believe me I could care less.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You do realize the OP has probably been to DR and back since this thread was created?