Who are they kidding??????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I could have sworn that drugs were illegal in this country. Obviously someone is still using big time. I read this in todays DR1 news:

Tourist Highway almost finished
Repairs to the Gregorio Luperon Tourist Highway between Puerto Plata and Santiago de los Caballeros are nearly finished, according to the project's supervising engineer. Most of the work is being done in areas affected by landslides that resulted from the recent storms. Currently, most of the work is taking place on the stretch between La Cumbre and the town of Yasica. Procisa is the company with the Public Works contract worth an estimated RD$200 million. Due to the difficulties of using the shorter route, many drivers choose to go around and use the highway between Navarrete and Puerto Plata. The Luperon Highway is 42 kilometers long, extending from Km 6 in Gurabo to the Gran Parada on the Puerto Plata - Sosua highway. According to supervising engineer Rafael Perez, rains affected twenty crucial spots along the highway. Repairs are expected to be finished by the end of December.

I just drove that route Friday and it is in as bad a shape as ever. It is a good thing that they said that it is expected to be done by the end of December and did not metion a year, because if they were talking about this December then check the skies for flying pigs.

Bob K

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I could have sworn that drugs were illegal in this country. Obviously someone is still using big time. I read this in todays DR1 news:

Tourist Highway almost finished
Repairs to the Gregorio Luperon Tourist Highway between Puerto Plata and Santiago de los Caballeros are nearly finished, according to the project's supervising engineer. Most of the work is being done in areas affected by landslides that resulted from the recent storms. Currently, most of the work is taking place on the stretch between La Cumbre and the town of Yasica. Procisa is the company with the Public Works contract worth an estimated RD$200 million. Due to the difficulties of using the shorter route, many drivers choose to go around and use the highway between Navarrete and Puerto Plata. The Luperon Highway is 42 kilometers long, extending from Km 6 in Gurabo to the Gran Parada on the Puerto Plata - Sosua highway. According to supervising engineer Rafael Perez, rains affected twenty crucial spots along the highway. Repairs are expected to be finished by the end of December.

I just drove that route Friday and it is in as bad a shape as ever. It is a good thing that they said that it is expected to be done by the end of December and did not metion a year, because if they were talking about this December then check the skies for flying pigs.

Bob K
Welcome to the DR.
There is nothing unusual about this.
Just business as usual.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we drove there about two months ago with a visiting friend. she kept on asking': "is it safe?"...

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Compared to the end of May 07 I have to admit that it's better...last week I did it both ways and except for two small patches ( about 5 m each ) the rest was above decent.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not think they are going to PAVE it, just fix it up where the washouts were....

Hey, 45 years ago it was not that great either and it was the ONLY route between Santiago a nd POP....

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
fixing

They are fixing the washouts. End of December? well it's still rainy season, so one place fixed means another yet to go. Actually it is planned that way to slow drivers down and keep them alert, because if concentration is lost, it's usually only about a 75' drop to the next plateau. So wear seatbelts, keep her outta your lap while driving. Survivors of an off-road experience are given credit for their next application for a Dominican driver's license, non-survivors are used for ecological experiments in organic farming. It's win-win either way. Happy motoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.