Pesos Once You Land

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
What is the quickest and best way to get your dollars turned into pesos once you land in Santo Domingo? We will be near Hotel Mercure.
Can I pay dollars to the driver outside the airport? I've been told it's $25 -$30 into town. Thanks guys

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Yes, NO more than $30 USD to the driver from the airport to the hotel, DO NOT EXCHANGE YOUR DOLLARS AT THE AIRPORT, wait until you get to the hotel and ask where the nearest casa de cambio is located.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
What is the quickest and best way to get your dollars turned into pesos once you land in Santo Domingo? We will be near Hotel Mercure.
Can I pay dollars to the driver outside the airport? I've been told it's $25 -$30 into town. Thanks guys
one of the best exchange houses is on el conde,not far from your hotel.Go out front to el conde,go right down conde until KFC,ond across from KFC is Franks exchange .
bob

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Thanks everyone! I knew the airport wasn't a good idea, but thought I'd ask anyway because I wanted to make sure we could catch the cab with dollars. We will probably check out Frank's once we check in. Only 2 more weeks and we are there! Trip report will follow......woohoo!!!!

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Banreservas at SDQ

There is a branch of Banreservas on the upper level (departure) of the SDQ airport. Up till now I have always found thier rates competative. In October I got 33.35 for US dollars. The cambios you see in the arrivals hall and in customs when you first arrive are bandits offering 28 or 29. The Banreservas on the upper floor has always worked for me especialy when arriving late in the day and headed to the campo where cambios are more scarce.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I got 33 for USD on arrival to SDQ at the Banco Popular kiosk downstairs by Customs in September........33.4 was quoted on the internet that very day...

Best bet is to check the exchange rate the day before you leave and don't feel bad leaving .5 to .7 on the table as a fee......remember 1 peso is like 3 cents......a half a peso is a penny and a half

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I got 33 for USD on arrival to SDQ at the Banco Popular kiosk downstairs by Customs in September........33.4 was quoted on the internet that very day...

Best bet is to check the exchange rate the day before you leave and don't feel bad leaving .5 to .7 on the table as a fee......remember 1 peso is like 3 cents......a half a peso is a penny and a half

This is best advice yet on this thread. You may not want to exchange $10,000 at the airport, but exchanging enough for a day or so is a wise option, and in the scheme of things is no big deal!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i would also exchange your pesos into dollars BEFORE you get to the airport on your return home.