US visa for my husband-help

micsan22

Sep 18, 2007
Hi I am new to this site but I see the great answers people receive from other users. my husband lives in the DR, he just graduated from medical school and we were together appx 1 year and a half before we got married. We will be married 1 year this january, and we are both in our mid 20's. I try to go their every 2-3 months because we decided it was best if I stayed here in the US since I have a very good job and he wants to do his medical residency here. My case was completed in october but they still have not given us an interview date, does anyone know approximately how long we will have to wait? Also, although we have never lived together for more than 2 weeks do you think we will be approved for a visa? I also don't know what kind of proof we can provide other than lots of pictures of diffrent family funtions, wedding pics, etc? I do have emails he has written to me, a list of all the phone cards I have bought, and I have added him to my credit card as an additional user. Any advice/suggestions?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Now it take about tow years more after you complete the process with the NVC. My case was completed in Nov. 2006 with the NVC, in Dec. I received my SDO case number ( 26,461 ) on the the waiting list in Santo Domingo consulate. They are working so slow that now eleven month later I have 13,000 people in front of me. waiting for the interview.
Good luck.
JJ.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
relax, the process will take time, the good news is that you are in your twenties, and he is a doctor, i doubt very much he won't be approved............i mean, if they start rejecting doctors nobody gets in.........add a joint checking account, go in person to your congressman"s office and explain your situation, tell them what a great democrat-republican you are, get a letter from your congressman wishing you good luck on the visa process that says something like "looking forward to meeting you when you arrive in my district." you will be surprised how helpful congressional staff can be. your congressman has a whole staff of people in the local office whose job is to deal with local citizens and ensure they get re-elected................add the letter to the mountain of papers that you take to the interview, put it on top.................ask for the interviewers name and write it down on said letter...................

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) He had better start studying English. He has to take the boards before even thinking of a residency.
2) He had better get his 'execuator' in the DR.
3) He had better start working cause the process is long and costly.

Take a deep breath. this is a haul...

HB

micsan22

Sep 18, 2007
thanks for all the great replies. in response to hillbilly he is studying english and he will be starting for execuator in january, so when he comes here he will only have to take the kaplan study course for the boards and then take the test- thanks for all the great advice. do you think since i am a us citizen it might take less than 2 years?

micsan22

Sep 18, 2007
do you think that i should also apply for a k3 visa even though my case was completed for the CR1 visa? is the K3 visa interview wait faster?

thanks!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
From my understanding there is nothing faster. There are so many Dominicans on the list that want to immigrate .

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My friend married 5 years ago to a Dominican, she is also Dominican but has been lived in the US for alot of years. She has been trying to get her husband here for 4 years. It got so bad that her husband told her to return to DR or they were getting divorced as the long distance relationship was not working. It is a LONG process. But I do not now if they are taking so long with her case due to their ages (she is now 40yo, and he is now 24yo). Maybe there is suspicion there.I don't know...she is now living in DR again

micsan22

Sep 18, 2007
In response to mommc comments. Thanks for the advice but I think any immigration officer can see that the opportuntites in DR are very slim when it comes to getting ahead in life, I stay here because his plan is to do his medical residency here. It would not make sense for me to leave my job and go start again in DR so that when he comes here I would have start again here. In these times in every job you are surely replaceable and I think I could be replaced in six months. Although what you say makes sense I also think that the immigration officer can see that by our ages, our common goals, heritage/culture, language, and vast amount of family fuction pics -we are together for real. thanks. M

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm sure I'll be villified for this question, but are there any "shortcuts" to getting a visa? I am 39 years older than my soon-to-be-wife. We have a business together in the DR, and I visit the DR every month from my home in NY. She has 2 children and excellent credit. She also has reason to visit the U.S. for business.

But if an age difference is a red flag, I wonder if we'll have an insurmountable problem. - D

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Danny for people that are not yet married I've read of a short cut on Tim's website Dominicans to the USA - Index.

It involved getting married in a near by country that a Dominican can travel to without a visa. Last time I checked Tim's site there was been one successful case but even that took 8 or 9 months.

Check the above link.

BTW the age difference is not always a red flag.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Yes we have had one sucessful case where they were married in Honduras. We have some people going to Ecuador and some to Honduras. Costa Rica is also an option.

As for the age difference if that was a problem, my wife wouldn't be here with me now. We are 26 years apart. :)

-Tim

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
My friend married 5 years ago to a Dominican, she is also Dominican but has been lived in the US for alot of years. She has been trying to get her husband here for 4 years. It got so bad that her husband told her to return to DR or they were getting divorced as the long distance relationship was not working. It is a LONG process. But I do not now if they are taking so long with her case due to their ages (she is now 40yo, and he is now 24yo). Maybe there is suspicion there.I don't know...she is now living in DR again
This is because she is not a US citizen. If you are not a citizen, you do not have priority and it can take you up to 12 years to get someone here in the states. You are much better off getting your citizenship and then petitioning for them. I don't know why so many Dominicans never bother to get their citizenship.

-Tim