Vimenpaq - opinons on them as a shipper from Florida to the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We just called this company Vimenpaq (809)-532-7388, web site is www.vimenpaq.com.do, (the web site does not appear to be working at the moment) which works out of the local Western Union office. They ended up with a box that was supposed to go to EPS for me. EPS had changed their address in Florida a while back, and the box went to that old address. Vimenpaq somehow received it, got it to the DR, tracked me down and called me to let me know where to pick it up. The price they charged seemed to be at a better rate than what EPS would have charged. They have posted a rate of $1.75 US per pound for shipping.

The reason we called them was to ask what the duty would be to bring in a TV with their service. The person who works with customs at Vimenpaq said it would be 56% of the invoice price. That is steep, but much better than you can do buying locally even when you add another $200 or so for shipping.

Does anyone have any experience with them and have they found that 56% duty number to be correct?

Grupo Vimenca is another way to get to the site but it is under construction.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As far as the rate goes, make sure you ask them if they add a "modifier" for oversize packages such as a tv. These typically will increase the rates per pound considerably. Also, do you have any contact #'s for the US or the DR? The web page seems to be having issues.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
More information on Vimenpaq Trans Express partnership

More information on Vimenpaq:

Telephone 809-200-1163. I spoke to Johanys de Jesus.

Transexpress is working with Western Union/Vimenca and they call the service Vimenpaq, but it is really done and tracked using the Transexpress web page. For shipping packages, the account set up took 5 minutes of a phone call plus the confirmation email was sent to me immediately. They have a tracking set up on the web site. Regular postal letter service has an annual fee according to the web site of $25US

TransExpress

The rates from Florida are:

First Pound is $6 USD, Additional Pounds are $1.75 USD up to 125lbs and I believe $1.50 per pound over 125lbs. However, the web site agree with what recall from the phone conversation I had when setting up the free account. I believe she told me it was $1.75 per lb up to 80 lbs and $1.25 per lb over 80 lbs. Nothing was mentioned about oversize packages costing more:But that should be investigated.

If you have something that weighs more than 125 it is at $1.50 US per pound. I only found out about this because an X10 box got sent to the old address for EPS, who used to work with TransExpress and piggyback their charge on top of theirs. Vimenca/Vimenpaq ended up with the package and tracked me down. Charging less for it than EPS would have charged. They also have a list of duties/taxes on their we site. Most stuff is at 54% duty plus I believe another 8% tax. Video cameras are over 100%!!! Taxing those "Sony moments" heavily...

I calculated that a TV that weighs 60 lbs and invoices at $1,000 would cost $729.25 to bring in. So you pay $1,729.25 for a $1,000 set from the US.
That same set here is about $3,000 and probably is a used/refurbished model a few years old.

I specifically asked the woman at TransExpress about bringing in a TV and we came up with numbers similar to mine above. She never mentioned the oversize "modifier". Anyone else digging into this, please let us all know if there are any other hidden charges beyond what I have seen. And also if you can confirm which rates per pound are used at what break points.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Correction to my above post on shipping

There is a small adder to shipping a larger package. I found the shipping calculator on the web site

TransExpress

and put in dimensions of 30X40X10 inches and it would cost $752 to bring in a 60lb television with a value of $1,000 US.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Very important is if this company is part of the agreement that Aduanas has with EPS and business mail, that all items less than US200 do not pay import taxes. If this is not the case the things can get very expensive quick.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The 200 per item expemption

Chip makes a very good point. I had already sent an email to them for clarification on that and other questions.

Any item under $200 US does not pay a duty via EPS, even if the total value of the shipment is over $200 US as long as no single item is over $200 there should be no duty. The calculator in Transexpress does not reflect this and I indeed asked for clarification.

I don't know if that exemption with EPS is always for the first $200 US of any item as well.. Does anyone know that detail?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Chip makes a very good point. I had already sent an email to them for clarification on that and other questions.

Any item under $200 US does not pay a duty via EPS, even if the total value of the shipment is over $200 US as long as no single item is over $200 there should be no duty. The calculator in Transexpress does not reflect this and I indeed asked for clarification.

I don't know if that exemption with EPS is always for the first $200 US of any item as well.. Does anyone know that detail?

Note: Be careful of this matter.

PJT having been in the shipping and transportation logistics industry for over 35 years plus and has knowledge of import/export shipments. Import/export shipments of goods from one origin shipper (person) to one destination consignee (person) having an aggregate value of over US$ 200 is subject to duty unless the item(s) shipped are specifically exempted..

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Import/export shipments of (**LIKE or SIMILAR) goods from one origin shipper (person) to one destination consignee (person) having an aggregate value of over US$ 200 is subject to duty unless the item(s) shipped **is/are specifically exempted..

PJT needed to edit to place the **add-in's for clarification.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I called Vimenpaq and they told me that there is no modifier for package size, it is just based on weight.

Also, as I would like to import a used television, Vimenpaq connected me to Aduanas and they explained to me that I could creat a bill of the new value of the tv, the date of manufacture and the estimated value of the tv today. However, I am somewhat hesitant to do this because we know how flim flamy this guys are.

Also, the is a Vimenpaq office in La Sirena in Santiago so I believe I am going to open an account today.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Vimenpaq order experience so far, potential TV importing

I just placed an order that will be shipped in with Vimenpaq.
So far, I like the fact that I can go to their website and see the details of the shipment using a UPS ( or Fedex) tracking number. These are low value orders in the under $200 range, so I have yet to see what customs will do with them versus the $200 exclusion that I have seen using EPS. I should know those answers in about another week.

I have gotten a few documents in from Vimenpaq (simply because they are at the old address of EPS) and they seem to be charged at a lower rate than EPS charges.

Regarding a flat screen TV, I was told the customs duties would total 56% of the value of the TV. Add $1.75 per pound for shipping and that should give you a fair guess as to the total price. From what I have seen it would be a little less expensive to import a TV than to purchase it here if those numbers are accurate. Keep in mind that you would be getting no guarantee if you import it.

For example, A 32 inch LG plasma TV is on sale at Plaza Llama for $42,995 pesos ( $1,268 US). This TV is worth about $700 US and weighs about 40 lbs to ship. Importing it should cost: 700 + .56x700 + 40x1.75 = $1,162.. In the case of this TV, saving $106 probably is not worth the hassle, lack of warranty and potential that customs will charge more than 56%.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Vimenpaq is definitely a lot cheaper than EPS and Business Mail. There standard rate per pound is lower than both the other companies and they don't charge an additional modifier for boxes.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Here's another service you can use: The Ultimate PO Box, Post Office Box and Mail Forwarding Service | Earth Class Mail

They will receive your mail for you in the US, and can scan it online so you can read it online. They will forward what you ask, and throw the rest away. Right now they only have a PObox in miami, but once they get a street address I am going to sign up with them. It might be a good combination of earthclassmail to filter mail, and vimenca to receive it in the DR. Right now I spend a fortune on EPS.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here's another service you can use: The Ultimate PO Box, Post Office Box and Mail Forwarding Service | Earth Class Mail

They will receive your mail for you in the US, and can scan it online so you can read it online. They will forward what you ask, and throw the rest away. Right now they only have a PObox in miami, but once they get a street address I am going to sign up with them. It might be a good combination of earthclassmail to filter mail, and vimenca to receive it in the DR. Right now I spend a fortune on EPS.

Another option in the States is to get a PMB through the "UPS Store" chain of stores. A small box rents for US60 something and it can receive Fedex, etc as well (phone # and street address available). Also, at the one I have in Orlando they will check my mail when I call them and discard things I do not want. They will gladly forward all my mail free of charge with the exception of shipping charges to my Vimenpaq box in Doral.

Also, Vimenpaq is much more economical than EPS or Business Mail. I started out with EPS then Business Mail and now am with Vimenpaq.

lindalee033

Dec 16, 2004
sort of off note.. but same concept.. does anyone have any leads on LA FORTUNA CARGO EXPRESS SHIPPING... they are supposedly based in PP and in NYC... a box full of toys for my son's 4th b-day in dec 2007 was sent by my father and has yet to been received by us here... the owner of the co. is nowhere to be found.. the supposed office # is sometimes answered.. most often not... no one is nyc knows anything other than the co. was sold to a CARLOS GONZALEZ from RAFAEL BRITO.. my son's gifts are still missing at large... any leads would be appreciated.. we keep getting promises, when we miraculously speak to someone, that we will receive our merchandise soon!
lindalee033

v_man

Mar 17, 2008
New Rates Starting On April 1, 2008

Hellos friends,

Starting on April 1, 2008 Vimenpaq will change his rates.

Weight (Pounds)
0-2 US$2.75
3-30 US$2.60
31-70 US$2.35
71-100 US$1.85
101-250 US$1.70
251 - More US$1.55

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Helpful site to estimate the charges for shipping using TransExpress:

Helpful site to estimate the charges for shipping using TransExpress at your local Western Union office:

TransExpress

As Chip stated above I agree and I quote, "Vimenpaq is definitely a lot cheaper than EPS and Business Mail. Their standard rate per pound is lower than both the other companies and they don't charge an additional modifier for boxes."

The above site calculates the Customs Duty, ITIBIS and shipping costs.

I like the way they allow you to track packages on line, once in Florida I get the shipment here within a week, they call me when a package arrives and are more economical. Currently, they charge $6 for the first pound and $1.75 for each additional pound according to the web site.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have been using Vimenpac (TranExpress) now for about 6 months. Perfect and F-A-S-T service. You get an online ID to your personal code and can see what's going on. But you can not easily stop packages from being shipped.
They are cheaper than anybody else I know, and faster.
You get all sorts of notifications: a) as soon your package arrives in MIA, b) usually 24 to 48 hrs later an e-mail from Vimenpac to let you know it is in the DR, and the same day or a day later a phone call from Santo Domingo to inform that it has been shipped (via their trucks) to the final destination distribution center.
Where with other forwarders I have been ofter presented some home made bills about customs fees for this and that, At Vimenpac I have yet to experience getting hit by customs at all! On larger (suspicious) packages the can appear a RD$ 40.oo fee for "tramites aduaneros" (customs check) but that's all, I got car parts like front grilles thru for ZIP... nada.
Short. They must be well connected.

If, I'd ship a complicated item like a TV, I would contact the main office directly and work with them by following their advice... maybe even go visit the person in charge of "tramites aduaneros" in person and see if I can make that person a happy person y he can make me an happy person as this could be the person which will fight for you (or not) when inspection day comes around. But I would check offers for TV's at PriceMart first over an extended time, to evaluate if all the stress is indeed worth the while.

TransExpress is a growing and old company. I remember them starting out and opening Ecuador in the mid 90's... and they pretty worked well from the beginning. One drives West on NW 36ST (1st N off MIA airport) and passes under the Palmetto Turnpike, you will soon appreciate their quite impressive outfit on the South side... not a mom and pap operation!

Vimenca is also a know establishment in the country of no less impressive size.

... J-D.

Last edited:

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Still Happy with Vimenpaq?

Looking to get mail from States to Sosua. Is Vimenpaq still better than EPS? Do you get notice of mail arrival and then pick up in Sosua?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Looking to get mail from States to Sosua. Is Vimenpaq still better than EPS? Do you get notice of mail arrival and then pick up in Sosua?

You get a personal web access to TransExpress (Miami) and can see what arrived there (MIA) and when the sent it to the DR (Santo Domingo) which usually happens within 24 business hours.
Then you get an e-mail from Vimenpac when they have it and sorted out in Santo Domingo, usually within another 24 business hours. You can then, either retrieve your package then in Santo Domingo (if your accound is there) or a day later you will get a call from them in Santo Domingo and later from your local pickup location that it has been sent our your way, respectively has arrived at you local pickup location.
There is some much information, it's almost anoying at times, but only almost ;).

The really cool thing, besides information and relative swiftness, is that they really seem to enjoy preferential treatment at customs. ALL packages are being opened, but never had anything missing and very seldom had to pay any duties... but occasional custom processing "fees" to the take of 40 or 60 Pesos... NADA... when compared to other companies which seem to bill "cutoms duties" quite randomly and unable to produce a customs receipt.

Vimenpac is currently billing a 25 Pesos fuel surchage per item (package). Still cheaper than anyone else I see. Except for the fact that they do not bundle letters and so forth... so you pay a minimum of 1 Lb per envelope.

... J-D.