Have any info ?

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
...And not to go off topic but a little further afield in Bavaro, if anyone has the background or personal knowledge about what appears to be a construction shambles at Residencial Carey, could they PM or email me please? Annonymity assured. Thanks...

Dos españoles reclaman 2.3 millones de dólares por edificio defectuoso
Carey Residencial

I think is an example of how some local ''ingenieros'' are trying to make the most out of foreign developers , like there is no tomorrow :pirate: ...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As an engineer myself, I'm interested to see how this develops. After reading the article I can only assume that the engineer is guilty of incompetence or greed by trying to save money(for a design build contract or turnkey), or the clients were dumb in accepting lesser grade material in order to save on costs.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
let's see what's coming up at the end, who robbed who???
nobody can tell me that a "confiable" company starts a construction with their investors money and they do that "en confiancia al ingenierio", BS!!!, they failed with their project or never tried to do a serious one, just take some money, let a ingenieur(maybe Partner??) look bad, no money to get from him so no money to pay back to investors and nobody will ever know how many money been spent on the construction site til today, that leaves a lot of space for some MONEY.
if i build a house (of course not on my own, i use a reliable company to do that for me) you can bet that i will be there present every day, i will check how many material really arrives on the construction site, and how much of that material is really used to build my house.
just my 2cents
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
let's see what's coming up at the end, who robbed who???

Yes I wonder about that too. Thank you SteveG for posting my query on this forum. Seemingly, the Spaniards are saying they had to pay out US$3 million to put right the wrongs. What I don't understand is............there wasn't exactly a language problem here between the company & the constructors, so what happened to make it all such a disaster? And don't you just love the company website page about standards and quality control..............;)

Carey Residencial

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
oh yeah, completely right.
how you want to keep up with promised standards without controlling their progress to be done the way you promise to your investors?
and a 2-3Mio$$$ bill is very big for that few progress seen there til now(did not see a thing when passing by)
Mike

lizandsilvy

Dec 1, 2007
We are owners here in Carey, and yes the spaniards brought in a separate load of engineers to make note of all the problems in the complex, but it was the constructors workers that came and in changed a few things.........are there any more owners on this forum

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We are owners here in Carey, and yes the spaniards brought in a separate load of engineers to make note of all the problems in the complex, but it was the constructors workers that came and in changed a few things.........are there any more owners on this forum

I'm not an owner in Carey (I live in Puerto Plata) but there could well be some on this forum. Are you saying that the developers, the Spanish company brought in their engineers to do a survey? And then the builder corrected a few items? The items listed as at fault in the newspaper article sound fairly profound: e.g. electrical wiring leading to a fire, flooding when it rains, seepage, pipe obstruction (? a design fault maybe). I'm not an engineer but these sort of faults sound like they would need fairly extensive (& observable!) correction.

When you say 'changed a few things' does this mean that all the faults have not been corrected?

lizandsilvy

Dec 1, 2007
We personally, have been complaining to the spaniards about all the things that have been going wrong.....examples, burst pipes in walls, water coming up through toilets because of pipes being blocked with cement, upstairs bathrooms leaking through our roofs, damp coming in through the marble floors etc etc.......we are hated here in the complex by both the spaniards and all the staff because we were the only ones living here full time to see what was happening - the spaniards brought in different engineers who we thought would be carrying out the work to put things right - but it was obviously to help them in their court case, these engineers agreed that everything should be changed. Eventually we were relocated to a nearby hotel for a month while they had to re-pipe in all the aircon, smash through outside bathroom walls to get at the pipework taking water away from the tubs, as they had never been connected to anything, so we were then told the damp coming through the floors would stop as that was the cause - not so - we still have damp floors........all this work was carried out by the original constructors guys, we fought with them to relay part of our floors, as the problem is that they didnt put any sort of damp proof treatment down first, and they refused to do it, saying that it was the spaniards that were stopping them! You never get a striaght answer here - we moved in at the beginning of August 2006, and we have had the place for sale since the 23rd August 2006! As far as we are concerned, it is the spaniards who are responsible for not supervising anything - but then they had never built anything before this, although they make you believe they had - in Spain, one was a famaceutical salesman, and the other has something to do with garages from what I have been told by other owners who knew them in Spain! They were out to make a fast buck, and have done nothing but gone out of their way upset people like us.......we asked our lawyer about taking them to court, but he said it would be too costly and long, that we would be better just selling up. Which is what we are trying to do. Although, now that they are taking the contractor to court looking to make more money - I hope that there are other owners on this forum, who would lke to get together and see if there is anything that we can all do to get our own money back!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that sounds just like perfectly spanish.
pharmaceutics building houses in the Dominican republic, Bang.i would recommend to get in touch with other investors/house owners aso as fast as possible, that sounds just like a big rip off by those spaniards who want to complain about local engineering, maybe that hired engineer been a Gardener or such a short while ago???
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Some suggestions for you, Liz & Silvy. To find other owners maybe start a new thread called 'Looking for owners Residencial Carey, White Sands' in this same East Coast Forum. Just in case people don't go into a thread entitled Have any info. Also maybe liaise with Nautilus owners? Seems to be the same Spanish company so maybe............similar issues?
Nautilus Residencial

I agree your chances of selling now that the developer has gone public & called their own development 'a veritable disaster' are somewhat reduced!

I understand that your lawyer feels the process of taking the developers to Court here in DR could be long, costly and unsuccessful. But would you have any right to a plaint in Spain? I don't know but the company is registered in Spain under a different name:
ARCO Y DINTEL
Might be worth seeking a consultation with a lawyer experienced in legal matters outside of DR?

And for informational reasons have you informed your Embassy here in DR & maybe got their opinion too? I don't know your nationality but would imagine it is either US, UK or Canadian - all of which countries have representation here.
I see that the FBI for example is already investigating another DR east coast issue surrounding US & European investors who feel thay have been taken for a ride (title issues & no construction).
FBI profundiza investigación sobre estafa a inversionistas extranjeros

lizandsilvy

Dec 1, 2007
Thanks - appreciate the support. It is in fact the same developers that are doing "Nautilus" - but "funnily" enough - they are not selling very well! Most of the first owners here in "Carey" were doctors, Giuiu did a presentation in the local hospital in Zaragoza, Spain, to sell at the beginning. And it appears that they all bought for investment, as were told they would be rented out constantly - another little lie - so we havent seen any of them in the time we have been here - but obviously now are trying to investigate further.
We are still going to take the newspaper article into our lawyer and see what he says, as before it was just us again the spaniards, now there is proof that things are were not right.
I will also check what else we can do - I am from Scotland, but my husband is from the Canary Islands in Spain - who incidentally "HATE" any mainland Spanish - Canarias have their own government etc - we just want to get rid, so have it advertised for less than we paid for it - we just hope now with the busy season coming, that someone will want it - and then we can move on and find the dream that we came here to have! But believe me - the bad mouthing of these spanish guys is only just beginning...........

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks - appreciate the support. It is in fact the same developers that are doing "Nautilus" - but "funnily" enough - they are not selling very well! Most of the first owners here in "Carey" were doctors, Giuiu did a presentation in the local hospital in Zaragoza, Spain, to sell at the beginning. And it appears that they all bought for investment, as were told they would be rented out constantly - another little lie - so we havent seen any of them in the time we have been here - but obviously now are trying to investigate further.

But believe me - the bad mouthing of these spanish guys is only just beginning...........
Don't bad mouth them Lizandsilvy .... get EVEN!!
Sold to a load of Doctors you say?? Get those disgruntled doctors to have a word with fellow doctors to call Giuiu to do a presentation at another hospital somewhere, sedate him when he enters for the presentation & then get all your fellow doctor owners to VISIT him to TALK things over. A suggestion that a surgical operation might be necessary because they are worried about testicular cancer might help him agree to refund & 'Mucho Dinero'!!!!!

Good Luck ~ Grahame.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It appears to me that somebody was cutting costs. I know engineers here personally here in the DR and they work typically in the same manner as other places. They are paid a fee to design the project and then when the plans are completed they are competitively bid for by contractors, most of the time who are not in any way affiliated with the engineer. In other words, it does not give the engineer any advantage to specify inferior material as he only gets a flat fee for the plans preparation and nothing for the construction portion of the work. It also behooves the engineer to not give in to the client and go cheap as so many desire because ineveitably everyone will forget that the client wanted a cheaper alternative and will only remember that the engineer prepared the plans. Therefore, every engineer learns to not take chances where their very livelihood - their license to practice engineering - is at stake.

Also, with some simple items like plumbing and wiring, there is very little variety in the grade of material that is available for construction so therefore it sounds more like to me an issue of poor management of the workers, or hiring unqualified laborers to do the installation - again not the job of the engineer for most typical contracts but rather that of the contractor.

lizandsilvy

Dec 1, 2007
Sounds like a plan.....but don't you need "balls" to have testicular cancer???????
Going to find the details of the doctors that gave us the background on these two in the first place - and let them know what is happening.......oh the joys of buying in the Dominican Republic! Think we have experienced it all in our short time here - so can't get any worse - I hope!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to fight them would be the best i think, because to sell it to somebody who doesn't have a clue about the s.. he will purchase?,yeah, maybe you'll find one, maybe some spanish doctor, he he.
but basically after the news is out about the quality of that construction, who want's to buy his caribbean dream house with a leaking roof aso??
i don't think any of that property will be sold soon, doesn't matter how cheap the offer will be.
Mike

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
What about Laguna Golf Residential "White Sands" any good or bad info on this complex? Thank you..Lucille

DRandGR

Aug 27, 2007
After reading your post I am getting nervous about an apartment I am buying in the Laguna Golf Development in White Sands. I have heard several stories of problems with the title to the land. These are of course disputed by the real estate agent. In the meantime we are waiting to hear from our lawyer before moving foward.