Importing laptops and flat screen tv`s

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I have a friend in Florida that is looking to import a container of brand new lap top computers and flat screen tv?s. These items are 100% legit and come with receipts. He has just done a trial run with 4 laptops and sold them within hours of arriving to business owners in Sosua and Cabarete.
He now is thinking of shipping a container load as he has researched the current prices for these items in the D.R. and as we all know, the prices are super high. He has not put a big mark up on his products as he intends to sell in bulk.
So my question is, does anybody know how much the import duties are on electrical items, and if anybody has info on importing full container loads I would most appreciate it.
Thanks.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I have a friend in Florida that is looking to import a container of brand new lap top computers and flat screen tv?s. These items are 100% legit and come with receipts. He has just done a trial run with 4 laptops and sold them within hours of arriving to business owners in Sosua and Cabarete.
He now is thinking of shipping a container load as he has researched the current prices for these items in the D.R. and as we all know, the prices are super high. He has not put a big mark up on his products as he intends to sell in bulk.
So my question is, does anybody know how much the import duties are on electrical items, and if anybody has info on importing full container loads I would most appreciate it.
Thanks.

Brilliant idea I know 2 people looking, also there is a great shortage of spare parts for laptops etc, that might be worth looking at, Ive pmed you.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
a friend imported 15 wide screens, and was charged a 130 % import tax on each unit......so it could be rather expensive

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Seems to me if someone is seriously considering importing a container of electronics they would already know what the import duty is!!!! Bringing in 4 is easy, bringing in a contaner is not.

This will be a MAJOR issue. The reason prices are "superhigh" is because the import duties are huge! This is the reason they are so expensive here now.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Lap tops

Well, it looks as though he will come down on a regular basis with 4 or 5 at a time...if anybody is interested PM me for more details

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Your friend needs to contact a reliable Freight Forwarder, who'll have contacts for a good Customs Broker.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Help me out...this might not work...BUT couldn't you just order the things you want on-line? That means you'd get your laptop via Dell or HP at regular cost.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Help me out...this might not work...BUT couldn't you just order the things you want on-line? That means you'd get your laptop via Dell or HP at regular cost.

The OP's "friend" either bought these from DELL AUCTION refurbished for about $200 or they fell off the truck!

Sep 19, 2005
you can oput things in a container and cross your fingers.

not all are looked into.

I know of no-nos that were brought in and never checked.

of course if they are found, they are either lost or heavily taxed....

even if you work a "deal" with someone to "let your merchandise slide"..nothing is guaranteed.

I have a few friends that were well connected and their "man on the inside" double crossed them...after the big ticket items reached shore.....bad postion to be in for bargaining!!!

its a crap shoot for sure.

if the ops friend comes regularly any way...then he could make some extra cash.

bob

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Unless you guys are seriously well connected in this country, I mean with customs, government and other powerful officials, you should not even waste a good nite's sleep dreaming about bringing a container full of valuable/desirable electronic goods into this or any other Latin American country. You will not get to lay your hands on them here unless you bleed money thru your noses for months... and even then... Believe me, I've had a registered and licensed import and export company in Ecuador... it was a joke unless I bribed my way thru all the way... and I knew people, if you know what I mean.
As long you bring along 2, 3 or 4 units when coming back and forth, your risk is limited and you are not creating a sizable competition to anybody in business here whom might then opt to have you guys wiped out.
Selling these deals here, may also prove less fruitful than you think judging by the interest and promises of buying interest ushered by so many... money is scarce on the streets, even thou some "invest" heavily in egomaniatic sound systems for their rides.

I've just had some Compaq LapTops in my hands last month in Florida. Brand new and under warranty... with Vista and all... USD 349.99!! Yes, it's tempting to load up on a deal like that... but then, I know how things are being plaid here, so I'd rather waist my time on the beach... it's cheaper than making whoopee!

... J-D.

Last edited:

walligator2007

Dec 3, 2007
importing to DR

I have contacts here and there specially in Santo Domingo with ful licences and member of dominican associations ,I just sent a container with motors and auto parts and arrived well I have apply for Residency in projections that business will do well overthere unlike USA at this time

t3joyner

Dec 4, 2007
I just want a decent sized flat screen and a sound system for my apartment. Would I be better off paying the inflated prices here or could I have it shipped by Dell, Sony, etc.? How much is the import tax?

t3joyner

Dec 4, 2007
This page shows one company's projected (approximate) rates. TVs are shown to have a 54% + 8% taxes applied for a total of 62%. (Computers for a total of 22%) . Is this close to accurate, I have no way to know.

TransExpress

You can see what they think it will cost including shipping here:

TransExpress

IF this information is accurate, you will pay less to have a Television shipped from the US. My guess is about 30% less than buying it here. Also, the one you buy here will likely be an older model that is also likely to have been refurbished. Keep in mind, however, there will be no warranty if you import from the US.
We use MFI (Missionary Flights International) for all of our shipping needs. At $1.25 a pound and guaranteed delivery with a Florida address, it is not a bad deal. But I'm concerned that the import taxes would negate the otherwise wiser decision to buy from the U.S. at a substantially lower price and ship here through our friends at MFI.

Would it make a difference in import tax if the TV is used? I could also simply have my TV from home sent here for cheaper.

I'll probably just buy a smaller TV here and bring a smaller sound system in my suitcase when we visit for Christmas.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You need to get an Import/Export license in the DR in order for you to do such thing at that level. Taxes alone will kill your profits as you can't compare "passing" 4 laptops into the country as easy as a container...

You can do it but the end profit will be reduced so much it won't make much sense once your price is only some 20% off the supply in the current market. Again that's counting on you'll be able to sell all within a timeframe that makes it profitable. Imagine having to store a container full of electronics in the weather of the DR!!! Or worst yet, have to rent warehouse space for them!

I wouldn't do it...

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I just want a decent sized flat screen and a sound system for my apartment. Would I be better off paying the inflated prices here or could I have it shipped by Dell, Sony, etc.? How much is the import tax?
just purchased a flat,20 inch LG,newest model,here in SD for about $250.usd more than on line,with a year guarantee.For me it is worth it...I order a lot of things from internet,and shipping is always a killer if items are heavier..160 pesos a lb....plus taxes if over $200. and if whatever you order is not working,forget it...shipping all over again will be more than item is worth.Now,if you are going to US for any other reason,vacation,etc,you can put a 20 in lcd in your luggage,and probably get it here without any taxes....as my friends have done recently...anything larger is more difficult.
bob