Help and advice needed

EnglishGirl

Feb 22, 2007
Hello there,
It's been a while since I posted anything on this site and am feeling a little rusty!

Anyway, I am planning to go out to the DR (Sosua) next May with a friend to do some voluntary work, however, if all works out we are thinking about staying on. I am English and have some Spanish but not much, I am in the process of completing an english teaching qualification but am not expecting to walk straight into a job teaching english. My friend and I were thinking about the possibility of finding work in a restaurant/bar/hotel etc where Spanish is not compulsory. I have a Bachelor's degree, if this helps although not sure it will out there!

Can anyone give me some idea about places or people to try and contact about jobs before we get there in May?

Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciated!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should start making contacts now. Think about the universities, after all you have your BA plus and English teaching certificate.
However, do not think you will be on the beach. Most probably you will be in one of the town/cities in the Cibao Valley: Santiago, La Vega, Moca, San Francisco de Macoris, maybe even Nagua (which would be on the beach!) These places are where there are universities with English departments. They'll want to have staff in place for the opening of class in August 08..

There are also a series of private schools that probably need English teachers. However, these places need to see you first...

Good Luck.

HB