Visa question for the US

amandalynn

Oct 5, 2007
Is it possible to get a K-1 visa so we can get married in the US? or Is it better to be married in the DR first?

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I moved your question to the visa forum because you are asking a specific visa question.

A fianc?e visa I think is K1 and spouse is K3. I'm sure others can give you more info.

You can find more info here in the mean time How to Begin the Visa Process

Last edited:

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
You would be better off getting married in a third country. The visa will then be adjudicated in the country where the marriage took place. The wait in the DR for a visa whether K1, K3, IR-1 or CR-1 is more than two years now. There is no way around it except what I have mentioned. More information is available at my website dominicanstotheusa.com

-Tim

amigo72k

Dec 30, 2007
Ok, I have the same question, I may be looking to get married to my girlfriend this year. I heard so many different things. I heard that you should marry there and that it will take a month to get her here, then I heard it would take 6 months. Then I heard it would be better to do a K-1 form.
I heard the cost could be 10 grand, then I heard the cost would be far cheaper.
Can anyone help with my question?

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Well things have drastically changed in the last 30 days. The Consulate is now scheduling every K3 they have waiting in line and will be scheduling every single K1 the following month so as it stands right at this moment (and of course this could change) the fastest way is the K1. Notice I did not say the best way. the best way is still either the CR1 or CR1/K3 combination because you get the green card sooner, but if your goal is to get him or her here the quickest, from now on it will be the K1 unless they change something. We are no longer recommending third country marriages since the big change at the consulate. More info can be found on my site at Dominicans to the USA - Index

-Tim