Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Really Kill Trujillo?????

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who Really Kill Trujillo?????

The is a new book soon to be out call "Generalisimo" is from author Carlos Agramonte, and talks about the major role the CIA play in the killing of Dominican dictator Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina (1930 - 1961), in the book the author talks about the CIA send several undercover agents to the country (DR) to plan the assesination of Trujillo.
    so my question to you is: Did the United States wanted Trujillo dead because they (USA) did't want "another Cuba in the Caribe" or was it because they (USA) love the Dominican Republic so much and were tired of seeing Trujillo kill "inocents" Dominican citizens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tallman1818 View Post
    ...or was it because they (USA) love the Dominican Republic so much and were tired of seeing Trujillo kill "inocents" Dominican citizens.

If you don't know about US foreign policy, especially as it has pertained to Latin America over the last 100 years, read a book called "Bitter Fruit".

You will see that above quote has never been part of US foriegn policy in Latin America.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
    If you anything about US foreign policy, especially as it has pertained to Latin America over the last 100 years, you wouldn't even of asked this question.
    ??????????

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tallman1818 View Post
    ??????????
    I guess you caught his reply, before he edited it for a somewhat less sarcastic response.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I guess you caught his reply, before he edited it for a somewhat less sarcastic response.
    Yes, I guess I did.

Post Thanks / Like

I know very little about it, except there were supposedly a group of 6 who killed him.
    I don't know that they pulled the triggers, insomuch as they may have been the force behind it.
    The last survivor of the 6 was General Imbert who had his estate right here in Sosua, and I think he died, just last year.
    All the rest are long gone.
    That's the story as I know it, but surely is a bit more complex that the brief I just wrote.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read as extensively as some of our resident scholars here, and my perception might be coloured by the fictionalised Vargas Llosa version of events, but as I understand it, the plot was supposed to have received backing from the CIA, but it fell through somehow, and they didn't get the arms that they had been promised. The conspirators decided to go ahead nonetheless. They were also counting on the Dominican army chief (Pupo Roman?) to declare a coup and give them protection after killing Trujillo, but he chickened out.

Rocky, I think Gen. Imbert is still alive - at least if he has died recently I missed the news.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post

Rocky, I think Gen. Imbert is still alive - at least if he has died recently I missed the news.
    I believe you're right.
    He's been on the edge for so long, I thought he had already popped.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I believe you're right.
    He's been on the edge for so long, I thought he had already popped.

I haed always heard that he owned the property next to the abandoned Laramar Resort in Sosua (Generals beach?). I was told he was given this prime piece of land as a result of his participation in the assasination. I wonder if he lived/lives there - anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aross View Post
    I haed always heard that he owned the property next to the abandoned Laramar Resort in Sosua (Generals beach?). I was told he was given this prime piece of land as a result of his participation in the assasination. I wonder if he lived/lives there - anyone know?
    That is correct and he has been living there for many years, but he may be hospitalized elsewhere at this time, but that's just a guess.
    I know that he's not in good health.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast