Who Really Kill Trujillo?????

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
The is a new book soon to be out call "Generalisimo" is from author Carlos Agramonte, and talks about the major role the CIA play in the killing of Dominican dictator Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina (1930 - 1961), in the book the author talks about the CIA send several undercover agents to the country (DR) to plan the assesination of Trujillo.
so my question to you is: Did the United States wanted Trujillo dead because they (USA) did't want "another Cuba in the Caribe" or was it because they (USA) love the Dominican Republic so much and were tired of seeing Trujillo kill "inocents" Dominican citizens.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
...or was it because they (USA) love the Dominican Republic so much and were tired of seeing Trujillo kill "inocents" Dominican citizens.

If you don't know about US foreign policy, especially as it has pertained to Latin America over the last 100 years, read a book called "Bitter Fruit".

You will see that above quote has never been part of US foriegn policy in Latin America.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I know very little about it, except there were supposedly a group of 6 who killed him.
I don't know that they pulled the triggers, insomuch as they may have been the force behind it.
The last survivor of the 6 was General Imbert who had his estate right here in Sosua, and I think he died, just last year.
All the rest are long gone.
That's the story as I know it, but surely is a bit more complex that the brief I just wrote.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I haven't read as extensively as some of our resident scholars here, and my perception might be coloured by the fictionalised Vargas Llosa version of events, but as I understand it, the plot was supposed to have received backing from the CIA, but it fell through somehow, and they didn't get the arms that they had been promised. The conspirators decided to go ahead nonetheless. They were also counting on the Dominican army chief (Pupo Roman?) to declare a coup and give them protection after killing Trujillo, but he chickened out.

Rocky, I think Gen. Imbert is still alive - at least if he has died recently I missed the news.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I believe you're right.
He's been on the edge for so long, I thought he had already popped.;)

I haed always heard that he owned the property next to the abandoned Laramar Resort in Sosua (Generals beach?). I was told he was given this prime piece of land as a result of his participation in the assasination. I wonder if he lived/lives there - anyone know?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I haed always heard that he owned the property next to the abandoned Laramar Resort in Sosua (Generals beach?). I was told he was given this prime piece of land as a result of his participation in the assasination. I wonder if he lived/lives there - anyone know?
That is correct and he has been living there for many years, but he may be hospitalized elsewhere at this time, but that's just a guess.
I know that he's not in good health.

Sep 20, 2003
Rubbish

I've interveiwed several of the people involved in the assassination of Trujillo, including General Imbert. I asked him who started the plot to kill Trujillo and he told me it was General Juan Thomas Diaz and Antonio de la Maza. The ball really started rolling in 1956 with the kidnapping/rendition of Jesus Galindez by the Dominican SIM in Manhatten. That event set of a chain of events that lead directly to Trujillo's death. The people involved had many reasons to kill Trujillo, many of them very personal, but none were mercenaries working for the CIA.

The CIA is not nearly as efficient as they are portayed. There were several plots against Trujillo in the last years of Trujillo's life, none were initated by the CIA, none. Dominican exiles were begging the US government for help, it was the US government that vacillated, and in the end abandoned the assassins. The Reid Cabral family and their Vicini cousins were also involved in plots and other anti-Trujillo activities,for example the letter to the Pope that lead to the Vatican attack on Trujillo's regime. There was also a plan to smuggle sniper rifles via ship and have Donald Reid Cabral(Donald took scuba diving lessons in the United States in 1960 preparing for this event) swim to shore alone with a waterproof bag for use in another plot. The CIA didn't help in those activities at all.

Where on earth do these people dig this information up? Doesn't anyone bother to ask the people left alive who were part of this?

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The CIA didn't help in those activities at all.

Where on earth do these people dig this information up? Doesn't anyone bother to ask the people left alive who were part of this?
Do you mean Carlos Agramonte?

The is a new book soon to be out call "Generalisimo" is from author Carlos Agramonte, and talks about the major role the CIA play in the killing of Dominican dictator Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina (1930 - 1961), in the book the author talks about the CIA send several undercover agents to the country (DR) to plan the assesination of Trujillo.

Sep 20, 2003
You twisted the quote, the Reid Cabral activities had NO CIA help, the plan never got off the ground. The actual plot did have assistance, but CIA did not initiate it and they provided very little real help, in the end, they abandoned it. There are many books out there claiming CIA involvement in many things, I've read many of them, but in this case, they are wrong.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You twisted the quote, the Reid Cabral activities had NO CIA help, the plan never got off the ground. The actual plot did have assistance, but CIA did not iniate it and they provided very little real help, in the end, they abandoned it. There are many books out there claiming CIA involvement in many things, I've read many of them, but in this case, they are wrong.
I have no idea what you're talking about, when you say I twisted the quote.
I am simply asking you if you were referring to the author of that book or posters in this thread, when you asked where in the world they got their info.
I haven't a clue about who did what.
I was just asking a simple question, as to whom you were referring to.

Furthermore, you have now doubly confused me, as you initially stated, that there was no CIA involvement,
There are many books out there claiming CIA involvement in many things, I've read many of them, but in this case, they are wrong.
And now you say there was.

Please don't kill the messenger.
It's a simple question.
Who you were referring to, and now, was there or was there not CIA involvement.

Sep 20, 2003
Quite simple-there were many plots, many Dominicans were asking for help from the US government, the US government couldn't decide what to do. The plot that actually killed Trujillo was hatched by Dominicans, and there were many plans about how to kill Trujillo. Plans formulated by Dominicans. The plotters asked primarly for weapons. The CIA coughed up a few rifles(from memory-4). The machine guns and hand grenades were never handed over to the assassins, JFK balked at the last minute.

I interviewed many people involved in Trujillo plots, including the Chana Diaz(who was in on it from the beginning) and the Spaniard who made the shotgun shells(filled with ball barrings) that were used to kill Trujillo. None of them mentioned the CIA or any agents helping them plan anything. The final event was a last minute thing, many of the members of the action team(hit team) were out of town. There was also a part of the plan I was told about that included a land rover loaded with bags of sugar that would slam into Trujillo's car if he managed to escape the ambush(that was new information for me).

Perhaps this is another plot that I haven't heard about, perhaps. General Imbert never mentioned the CIA when I interviewed him. The Reid Cabral's did try to get American Governmental help, and it never panned out. The CIA bailed on the assassins at the last minute.

General Espailliat, in his memoirs, does discuss CIA involvement. He calls two CIA agents "Mutt and Jeff", and he claims the CIA contact man was Doctor Robert Reid, which is rubbish because Robert Reid(who did not survive the aftermath of Trujillo's death) was not involved in ANY plots, he was a complete innocent. Espilliat lies a lot in his book, I don't know if he was lying about this or just misinformed.

The men who formed the plot that actually killed Trujillo died in a gunfight with the SIM a few days after Trujillo was killed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Quite simple-there were many plots, many Dominicans were asking for help from the US government, the US government couldn't decide what to do. The plot that actually killed Trujillo was hatched by Dominicans, and there were many plans about how to kill Trujillo. Plans formulated by Dominicans. The plotters asked primarly for weapons. The CIA coughed up a few rifles(from memory-4). The machine guns and hand grenades were never handed over to the assassins, JFK balked at the last minute.

I interviewed many people involved in Trujillo plots, including the Chana Diaz(who was in on it from the beginning) and the Spaniard who made the shotgun shells(filled with ball barrings) that were used to kill Trujillo. None of them mentioned the CIA or any agents helping them plan anything. The final event was a last minute thing, many of the members of the action team(hit team) were out of town. There was also a part of the plan I was told about that included a land rover loaded with bags of sugar that would slam into Trujillo's car if he managed to escape the ambush(that was new information for me).

Perhaps this is another plot that I haven't heard about, perhaps. General Imbert never mentioned the CIA when I interviewed him. The Reid Cabral's did try to get American Governmental help, and it never panned out. The CIA bailed on the assassins at the last minute.

General Espailliat, in his memoirs, does discuss CIA involvement. He calls two CIA agents "Mutt and Jeff", and he claims the CIA contact man was Doctor Robert Reid, which is rubbish because Robert Reid(who did not survive the aftermath of Trujillo's death) was not involved in ANY plots, he was a complete innocent. Espilliat lies a lot in his book, I don't know if he was lying about this or just misinformed.

The men who formed the plot that actually killed Trujillo died in a gunfight with the SIM a few days after Trujillo was killed.
Thanks for the detailed account.
Pardon my ignorance, but would you please tell me what SIM is?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
General Imbert Mcgregor lives in Constanza and is in good health. I know one of his very close relatives.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
General Imbert Mcgregor lives in Constanza and is in good health. I know one of his very close relatives.
Well how do you like that?
The real estate people (approx. 1 1/2 years ago) who are developing the Western part of the estate, led me to believe that he was all but dead.
Goes to show ya can't believe everything you hear.