DR Police Force...Friend or Foe???

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Threads that are all over the board on this one...I guess it depends on what side of the gun you find yourself.

BUT all kidding aside. I've seen many posts that say the police are corrupt, some say they won't even pull over for police at night and advise you to get your car windows tinted to hide your color from the police.

Others say the police are heroes...as long as they're shooting and locking up the bad guys.

So which is it, friend or foe???

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Threads that are all over the board on this one...I guess it depends on what side of the gun you find yourself.

BUT all kidding aside. I've seen many posts that say the police are corrupt, some say they won't even pull over for police at night and advise you to get your car windows tinted to hide your color from the police.

Others say the police are heroes...as long as they're shooting and locking up the bad guys.

The good ones are friends, the bad ones are foes.

lewpo

Jul 29, 2007
Hermanos en Azul

The good ones are friends, the bad ones are foes.
In my experance most people become Cops because they want to help, I have seen D***s on power trips , bullies and cowards in uniform but as a general rule they desire to protect those among us that cant protect themselves . A gentelman from India once told me it was a "Noble proffession" westerners dont speaik of nobilty and honor much anymore. As for "tinting your windows" It seems that there is some reverse" racial profileing" running amok in DR. Not so it would affect me much down there but now you know how I feel in NYC when Im pulled over for nothing ,dont make it right. Because of my posistion I can get in the A**h***s face and put him in check in NY Ill have to modify my response , ill be retireing soon.
.."blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepards the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children"

Sep 19, 2005

YES......

it is the law of averages for where you are and what you look like.

there are many things that increase your odds at things that are bad.

learn them, and try to control them.

the police come from the populace... and they have some power.....

then add in the fact that some think VERY highly of themselves and their power...

it is best to stay clear.

heck even now days i see New York State Troopers on power trips!!

it seemed like they were a last stand.

but the macho power tripping, body building, cant wait to shoot someone mentality has infiltrated that dept...so it seems it can infiltrate any police dept in the DR.

as in all things...... some bad apples shouldnt spoil the whole bunch

bob

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007

I love DR police, one time I was stop and I had a beer on my hand, I gave the guy a swig and a $20 and he said "Valla con Dios". LMAO!!!!!!!

Sep 19, 2005
I love DR police, one time I was stop and I had a beer on my hand, I gave the guy a swig and a $20 and he said "Valla con Dios". LMAO!!!!!!!

US or RD????

I got asked for a bribe once while driving...

he was asking for that special dollar he says everyone carrys in their wallet to give them luck.

as was translated from my GF!!

and I said I dont have my US wallet nor my "special" $1 bill... ha ha

i gave him a 100 peso bill...he was happy

this was tryign to get into LaVega for the carnival

bob

May 12, 2005
I have never had any trouble with the police. I have driven all over the country most by myself at all hours. Not once have I been stopped by either PN or AMET. Only once have I ever paid a propina. It was to an Army soldier at a checkpoint on a mountain road. And that was only $40 pesos. I suppose if you go driving around looking for trouble, you will find it and have encounters with the police.

Sep 19, 2005
even though I have had a few incidents wit the police over seat belts...I guess I should say that there has been plenty of occassions where they seemingly could have squeezed me for bribes.

I have been stopped at least 10 times at road blocks and traffic stops, and only paid the one bribe.

I will say that some 'warden" or forrest ranger type cops stooped us while hunting ...that cost us about $5,000 pesos total in two days.(four of us)

the second day they came back with hungry buddies and lot of firepower!!! ha ha ha

tricky negotiations, that I was glad to have someone else doing!! ha ha ha

bob

In my experance most people become Cops because they want to help, I have seen D***s on power trips , bullies and cowards in uniform but as a general rule they desire to protect those among us that cant protect themselves . A gentelman from India once told me it was a "Noble proffession" westerners dont speaik of nobilty and honor much anymore. As for "tinting your windows" It seems that there is some reverse" racial profileing" running amok in DR. Not so it would affect me much down there but now you know how I feel in NYC when Im pulled over for nothing ,dont make it right. Because of my posistion I can get in the A**h***s face and put him in check in NY Ill have to modify my response , ill be retireing soon.
.."blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepards the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children"

Cant wait for you to try to put me in my place. You people always assume your being stopped for no reason!! Why not take the time to cordially ask the officer the reason you were stopped and then you might be surprised to find out you quite possibly fit the description of a felon broadcast over the radio.

Sep 19, 2005
hey Patrick...blessed be the police union!! ha ha ha

the equalizer...getting in the ny policemans face very rarely ever works ha ha ha ha

I wonder if they got a union down in the DR?? ha ha ha

life is just soooo different down in the DR...

you just dont know how it is gonna go down.

bad bob

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007

I thought it was still legal to drink and drive in the DR although I heard the laws were changing. I doubt he pulled you over for a swig of beer, but whatever works...:)

lewpo

Jul 29, 2007
Cant wait for you to try to put me in my place. You people always assume your being stopped for no reason!! Why not take the time to cordially ask the officer the reason you were stopped and then you might be surprised to find out you quite possibly fit the description of a felon broadcast over the radio.
I dont assume,Im a cop I broadcast the descriptions,I know when I ran a light or if my tail lamp is out or if i was speeding I have been doing this for over 25 years . as far as you "cant wait "for me to try to put you in your place my descrip is 6 '5" 225 pounds ranked 1st dan in 2 systems military police combatives instructor not to mention my sig 226 and shield . Not Nice (deleted a word):tired:
FYI: I am the Moderator of this board and I am a 3 Dan in three Martial arts and so what? Let's cool it, okay guys??? Too much testosterone flowing...Now behave!

Last edited by a moderator:

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
My guess is that any country with widespread poverty will have more corruption in all areas to include the police force. I would surmise that if the economy in the DR were to improve then corruption would decrease...and if the economy heads south then hold on to your wallet...:)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I dont assume,Im a cop I broadcast the descriptions,I know when I ran a light or if my tail lamp is out or if i was speeding I have been doing this for over 25 years . as far as you "cant wait "for me to try to put you in your place my descrip is 6 '5" 225 pounds ranked 1st dan in 2 systems military police combatives instructor not to mention my sig 226 and shield . PUNK:tired:
Allright guys.
I do understand both your points, but the challenges & battles you two have, will have to be taken to PM.

Sep 19, 2005
I wonder if the laws are similar in the DR as in america.
Where a cop can start a fight and when he gets his azz whipped he files assualt on a police officer charges!!

although I think in the DR the cop would pull his gun pretty fast....

are the police in the DR "always on duty"...as is the case with many poice depts in america.

bad bob

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
US or RD????

NYC has the coolest cops...get over Jersey with a NY plate and ...NYC cops just casuall say "don't do it again" whereas the deputies in Jersey make sure that they put their hand on the gun while they talk to you...

Back to DR...I find them decent altough all of them say " we don't have much gasolina " which is a subtle way to ask for propina...on my last trip to JD I got lost and there were 4 capitanos on the road - I kindly asked for directions but even my novia could get what they were saying...then one promptly offered to jump in and direct us...paid him 500 ( less than 1 mile travel ) and he wasn't happy...told him, jefe perdon mi novia control nostro dinero then he smiled and off he went