Carnaval in Santo Domingo or La Vega?

jorge.Seattle

Sep 11, 2007
Hello,
We will be in Dominican Republic at the end of February, and would like to see some of the Carnaval activities. We would like to spend at least one day in La Vega, and one in Santo Domingo, to see a parade. I read that the biggest parades were the last ones, at the end of the month, or 1st week of March. (Sunday, March 2nd???) And also read that there are parades for Independence Day, February 27th (Wednesday)? We are looking for advice, on which of those two days we should spend in La Vega, and which in Santo Domingo? Also, are the parades in Santo Domingo for Independence Day 2/27, and the last Sunday of Carnaval 3/2, very different from each other? and when do the parades begin and finish?
Thanks alot for your help.
Jorge

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
La Vega has crowds of people watching other people wearing costumes. Parade in Santo Domingo should be nicer. I would spend one day in La Vega and also try to watch the parade. Be careful in La Vega. Anything can happen in a crowd. People steal.

Jan 5, 2006
Well, bus loads of people from SD go to La Vega for their carnival, and very few from La Vega go to SD for theirs, so I think that there's your answer. ;)

jorge.Seattle

Sep 11, 2007
Thanks,
I think we will go to Santo Domingo for the Independence Day Parade, Wednesday February 27, and La Vega for the parade, Sunday March 2nd.
Thanks alot for your help.