Car Importation

Bluebottle

Nov 10, 2007
Hi All,

I read one or two comments - I think in the DR1 forums ref importing a car.

Is it true that a car has to be less than 5 years old for importation?? :ermm:

I have a much appreciated European car - a Renault Espace - which runs on LPG gas or Petrol (Gasoline).

I carry out most of the maintenance myself so that it is always in top mechanical condition.

If I decided on a move to DR I would not want to leave it behind.

It is 12 years old - I have owned it for 5 years now.

The Renault Espace has a zinc coated chassis with plastic body panels and so has no rust and will not rust in sea air.

Ideal vehical for DR.

Bluebottle

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi All,

I have a much appreciated European car - a Renault Espace - which runs on LPG gas or Petrol (Gasoline).

I carry out most of the maintenance myself so that it is always in top mechanical condition.

The Renault Espace has a zinc coated chassis with plastic body panels and so has no rust and will not rust in sea air.

Ideal vehical for DR.

Bluebottle

You can import the Space Shuttle for that matter if you know how the DR works.

But: Be prepared to pay hefty for the luxury of importing a 12 YO vehicle into the DR!!!
I imported a 1988 Jeep about a year ago and paid more than I expected for it, too much if you ask me.
Then again I used a long established importer from the DR to do the door to door travel experience less stressful than it sure owns to be.

Rules in the DR apply to a fit scale of people, but once money plays a part of it, all laws go the way of the Samurai.

Why on earth would you be willing to spend the extra money into importing such car is beyond me and my 1988 Jeep (LOL) but know this, to me it wasn't worth it at the end.

I put a lot of work into the Jeep and had it fit for off roading (a small passion of mine) and the tune of customizing the vehicle was worth something in my eyes at the time. After the final knock on my door and the constant hunt for custom spares in the DR's car-parts-loony-land, I'm not too proud of the import anymore.

But, some relations are hard to part with, aren't they?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi All,

Ideal vehical for DR.

Bluebottle
There was a recent thread dealing with the cost of importing a 6 year plus vehicle and the long and short of it, if I remember correctly, is that you would be charged the applicable taxes of a 5 year old vehicle of the same make and model.
I will see if I can find the thread, so that you can read the exact info yourself.

PS: Here it is.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/67557-importing-classic-car-uk-3.html#post576976

Another FYI: You can still bring in cars over 5 yrs. old(and less than 30).

For import taxes, you pay the 2002 rate, plus an additional 40%.

Bluebottle

Nov 10, 2007
Thnxs all.

Thnxs all.

Guess I would leave behind in a garage and use when back here.

Maybe once or twice a year.

Bluebottle.