Conjugal partner visa to Canada

unesden

Dec 4, 2007
were in serious relation and wana get married ,our relatio been going for more than year but we never me can we aplly for conjugal partner so he can come to canada ,thank u

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here is the info

Conjugal partner

This category is for partners—either of the opposite sex or same sex—in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from qualifying as common-law partners or spouses by living together.
A conjugal relationship is more than a physical relationship. It means you depend on each other, there is some permanence to the relationship and there is the same level of commitment as a marriage or a common-law relationship.
You may apply as a conjugal partner if:
  • you have maintained a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year and you have been prevented from living together or marrying because of:
    • an immigration barrier
    • your marital status (for example, you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible) or
    • your sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live)
  • you can provide evidence there was a reason you could not live together (for example, you were refused long-term stays in each other’s country).
You should not apply as a conjugal partner if:
  • You could have lived together but chose not to. This shows that you did not have the level of commitment required for a conjugal relationship. (For example, one of you may not have wanted to give up a job or a course of study, or your relationship was not yet at the point where you were ready to live together.)
  • You cannot provide evidence there was a reason that kept you from living together.
  • You are engaged to be married. In this case, you should either apply as a spouse once the marriage has taken place or apply as a common-law partner if you have lived together continuously for at least 12 months.
Taken from Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I actually think that Conjugal is the way to go. I wish I had of done it this way.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Has anyone tried applying in this category?

I would like to apply for my GF to come to canada via this method. The thing is the whole "evidence" bit. I went back to the DR and lived with her for a few months, had trouble getting work, and went back to Canada. I then visited again for a week. She has not applied to come to canada to visit due to a small credit issue which (and she is probably right) will probably lead to a rubber stamping of denial. Would it be in our interest to have this denial on her passport, as evidence?

Even then it says that they require proof that "long term stay was refused". So what is the deal here? Is she supposed to apply for residency, wait 2 years for a reply, then when she gets refused, apply as conjugal status?

I'm lost here, and info would be great. I really care for my GF, but don't want to rush the marriage. Living in the DR is not really an option ( in order to get 12 months continuous status) as I am not sure how easily I will get work, and even then sustain myself.

AnnaC if you know of any cases where applying as conjugal partners worked, please let me know. Thanks.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
you can provide evidence there was a reason you could not live together (for example, you were refused long-term stays in each other’s country.

The above would not apply to most in Canada because as a Canadian you are never refused long term stays in the DR so that's out.

It has to be very specific like a divorce has not come through yet and you can't leave Canada to live together in the DR because you have children to raise.

For single people with no obligations to anyone except that they don't want to leave their jobs it would be very hard to go this route.