Hospital Jobs

amandalynn

Oct 5, 2007
i am looking into moving to the DR. i speak english and very little spanish. i am currently taking spanish classes but class and actually speaking the language in conversation is very different. im looking to work at a hospital either in santo domingo, bavaro, higuey. I have my certified nursing assistant liscence and will be a RN by the end of may 2008. would there be any jobs available for me and would i be able to support myself? any advice would be great. thanks

purplebunniern

May 13, 2004
no

first welcome
second...do a search this has been discussed many times.
Stay in your home country and take many vacations. Or volunteer on off time. You will not beable to support yourself and nurses in the DR are not treated the same as in NA......glorified bedpan pusher......

amandalynn

Oct 5, 2007
thanks....that sounds like a plan... many vacations because i have my CNA and that pushing bed pans really sucks.

thanks again

jen76100

Jan 27, 2009
My family and I are going to spend four months in the dominican republic in november. I work as a care aide in canada and am looking to do a little work while I am down there. I am not looking to make lots of money just to have the full experience of the country. I would like to work a few days a week. how would I go about this, and is there even a need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1 jen, you will need to give us more info about which part of the country you will be in, as where you end up working or volunteering will depend on local knowledge by forum members, as well as contacts.

jen76100

Jan 27, 2009
Hello Chirimoya,

We are considering Juan Dolio area but still checking out others. I have been a care aide for 10 years now. I would like to do some sort of work while we are down there.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
If the Nurses on average make approx $200US-$250 per month, how much do you think a care aide will make? Not even half is my guess.
If you want to look at it as volunteering with "tips" (your paycheck), then go for it. If you are looking to support yourself, forget it
SHALENA

jen76100

Jan 27, 2009
I am not looking to support myself just have the experience in working in another country.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you're going to a tourist type area you might pick up care work with elderly expats or replacing their carers on their days off. Volunteering opportunities abound, in virtually all locations.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If you come to Juan Dolio there is a massive need for the equivalent of a health care visitor (as we would call it in UK). Advising the poorer community of the benefits of:

1. Breastfeeding
2.Children wearing shoes
3.Basic Hygiene re clean water etc
4. Treatment of parasites and sores
5.Contraception
6. Healthy but cheap food
7. Vaccinations

If you want to help I am happy to introduce you to those who need it and the local doctors for support and translate if you don't speak Spanish and/or Creole.

The pay is nothing/nada/rien!!!!!

Matilda

jen76100

Jan 27, 2009
I think I will have to do that. We are not coming down there until the end of October. We have lots to get in order. I am really interested in helping out when I get down there. I have always wanted to do something like this. We are very excited about this trip. The whole family is coming, even the dog, lol.